Windows 7 forum

Question

Toshiba Satellite

by JeffR1979 / March 27, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

I have this laptop, Toshiba Satellite A 105-S4274.
The problem I'm having is that it won't start Windows 7. It goes to the logo screen, hesitates, says it's starting Windows, hesitates for about a minute, then goes to the black screen with the options to open in safe mode and the other options. I select that option and it goes back to the logo and then repeats the above. So I select to load last known good configuration. Same thing repeated. Any ideas on what the problem is please? Thanks for any and all input.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The problem is the OS has been corrupted or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Satellite

Or there is some other thing such as some USB stick, printer, mouse, or other thing plugged in.

Yes there could be failures in RAM, HDD, motherboard but those are far less common than a corrupted operating system.

How to fix this? It depends a lot on the owner. The best owner will restore the machine to the factory OS and restore from backups. Most folk need to recover their files from the crashed machine first. Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
It sounds like corrupt system files
by wpgwpg / March 27, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

Try booting to the Command Prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow . That will attempt to find and correct the problem. You can also boot from a repair disc and try the repair option if SFC doesn't resolve the problem. If you don't have a repair disc, you can make one by going to another Windows 7 computer and clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Backup & Restore -> Create System repair disc. Insert a CD-R and it'll do it. If needed, the repair disc can boot to the command prompt where you can copy any data you need to save to a flash drive or external hard drive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Since other modes don't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 5:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's the value of the independent repair disc
by wpgwpg / March 27, 2013 6:31 AM PDT

Since anyone can create their own repair disc with Windows 7 or 8, you can always boot it to the command prompt to save your files. Additionally I've had better experience with the repair disc than the repair option for a Windows 7 boot from the C: drive. Bob, I clicked on your link and saw a whole bunch of articles there about repair discs. What is it that you're looking at that MS is removing? You can still download the Windows 7 ISO files from http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ and you can always make your repair discs, so I'm not sure what it is you're talking about MS removing.
Also you seem to be making a distinction between corrupt system files and a corrupt OS. Since the system files are integral parts of the OS, I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Obviously something in this guy's OS is corrupt, we definitely agree on that. Kees points out restoring to factory conditions is another possibility, and then there's Ubuntu. We know that if it were you or me, we'd restore from a recent backup. Of course you guys would lose a lot of buisness if everybody were that smart. Laugh

Collapse -
Good value too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 8:21 AM PDT

I was unclear why I wrote that. Let me add this. Some folk give up trying to get the repair disc download but it is still out there. Keep trying.
Bob

Collapse -
sfc/scannow command not available
by JeffR1979 / March 28, 2013 8:25 AM PDT

Ok, I tried to do that command but I couldn't tpe anything in. I had someone make a back up and restore disk from their pc but it didn't work in mine because it was 64 bit and mine is 32. Any solutions for that? I'm not real savvy on this stuff but I'm learning more from here. Thanks.

Collapse -
That's why you find a matching version to download.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
SFC didn't work
by JeffR1979 / March 28, 2013 8:58 AM PDT

I couldn't type in that command. I did have someone make a back up and system restore disk from his pc but it won't work in mine because his is 64 bit and mine is 32. Is there a solution to that problem?

Collapse -
Sadly yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: SFC didn't work

You recover the files you have not backed up then perform the factory restore.

Works everytime for me.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, make the repair disc on a 32 bit PC
by wpgwpg / March 28, 2013 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: SFC didn't work

Yes, make the repair disc on a 32 bit PC.

Why couldn't you enter the SFC command?

Collapse -
SFC
by JeffR1979 / March 29, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

Just didn't see anywhere to type that in. LIke I said I'm not familiar with the inner workings of any type of computer so, if you don't mind, can you walk me through the process. I tried booting from the "start in safe mode with prompt command". Not sure if I did it right.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: start up problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 5:36 AM PDT

Microsoft invented Windows 7 start up repair for that.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm and http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html tell about it.

Last time I used it only the full restore to factory conditions did the trick. Lucky it was an Acer and their factory restore program didn't erase the contents of the disk, but saved it in a folder call windows.old. But Toshiba might have implemented it another way, so you lose everything you forgot to backup.

If you're lucky, however, one of the less severe options solves it.

Kees

Collapse -
Restore disks
by JeffR1979 / March 30, 2013 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: start up problems

I went here http://restoredisks.com/findrestoredisk.aspx, and found a recovery disk for this laptop. Apparently it didn't originally have Windows 7 because it wasn't available for this model. It had XP Media. I ordered it and hopefully it will restore back to factory. If not, I'm only out $15.

Collapse -
restore disks
by JeffR1979 / April 3, 2013 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore disks

Got the disks today but there's a problem. I set the laptop to boot from the disk. Got "Loading RAMDISK image", then "please wait" Does nothing but turn black with only the cursor showing. I got the disks for this brand and model. Someone had put Wndows 7 on it but the disks were only available with XP Media. I would assume that it would restore back to XP, since that was the factory default. Is that right?

Collapse -
Find a Windows 7 32 bit computer and MAKE a repair disk
by wpgwpg / April 3, 2013 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: restore disks

On ANY Windows 7 32 bit computer you can MAKE your own repair disc. You don't have to order anything, you don't have to download anything. You just click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup & Restore -> Create System repair disc. Insert a CD-R and it'll do it. If needed, the repair disc can boot to the command prompt where you can copy any data you need to save to a flash drive or external hard drive. And from the Command Prompt you can issue the command: sfc /scannow if needed. It's really not that difficult.

Collapse -
Just my problem
by JeffR1979 / April 4, 2013 1:19 AM PDT

That's my problem. I don't know a lot of ppl and the ones I do know that have Windows 7 has a 64 bit system. I don't really need to back up any personal data since i haven't had the laptop long. So all I really need to do is restore back to factory defaults.

Collapse -
Here's a title I use to clean off the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my problem

Google GPARTED. It's free, small and what I use to delete what partitions that are on the installed HDD. Usually that's all I need to let the machine get a fresh start. Some folk use a disk wiper or eraser but I have yet to have to do that but one in over a decade.

GPARTED TUTORIALS are plentiful.
Bob

Collapse -
I learned a lesson here
by itsdigger / April 4, 2013 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my problem

after you get your laptop running again, if you still have Windows 7, Make a set of System Image Disc's. What a Breeze it is to restore you're system....Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.