Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba's Tend To Crash? Yes or No?

by KissingJudas / November 13, 2005 12:07 PM PST

I am looking at maybe getting a Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513
However, I have had several computerishtype friends tell me that a Toshiba is a bad idea, that they tend to crash a lot.
Is this true, or only if you're doing stupid stuff on it? I'll be doing mainly internet, mild gaming, and music. It's for college. I just want a bombproof laptop that will NOT be crashing/dying/giving me tons of trouble when I really don't have the time or patience for it. What do you guys say?
And is customer service for Toshiba? Which laptop maker has the best customer service? It'd be nice if the people didn't have such bad english skills that I couldn't understand them. =(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba's Tend To Crash? Yes or No?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba's Tend To Crash? Yes or No?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toshiba, Yes.
by petryk / November 13, 2005 9:54 PM PST

I have had my Toshiba notebook for over a year now and it has never crashed on me. I use it for just about everything. My husband games on it and even my five year old son uses it for his learning games. Most computer types tend to have their systems crash because they are pushing them up to and over the limit. I know, because I work with some everyday. As for customer service, I have only had to call them once since I havn't had any problems with the notebook. They were a little slow in getting to me (on hold quite a while), but once there, they were very helpful. I might be in the minority, but I say go Toshiba!

Collapse -
own toshiba g25
by krispydancing / November 14, 2005 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba, Yes.

i have toshiba g25 for about 3 months now! does not crash and i love the laptop. on it right now!

Collapse -
This ''computer type''...
by twesterh / November 14, 2005 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba, Yes.

Spent a couple of hours on his non-computer type's Toshiba laptop because her sister (another non-computer type who knows nothing of security) goes to a lot of goth-type sites and got spyware/adware and a virus installed on it...

And, yes, it shuts down all the time. I can only guess it is a hardware problem because I formatted the hard drive and re-installed XP and the thing kept overheating (Pentium4 no surprise) and shutting off.

It's a piece of junk and I keep telling her to return it.

Anyway, petryk's logic is faulty because if one were a ''computer type'', in the first place, they wouldn't be calling tech support unless absolutely necessary. I've only called them when I know everything that can be done has been done and I just need to send it back...

Sounds more like her co-workers are, in fact, non-computer types who don't understand the more junk you put on a computer the more problems you are going to have.

So, should you buy a Toshiba? I'm sure the vast majority of their computers are problem free. If they do have problems they are more likely than not caused by user-error. I have a Compaq and an eMachines, if you know what computer type you really are and don't screw around with it unless you know how to fix it odds are you'll probably be fine.

And befriend a real computer-type who can fix it w/out you having to call tech support!

Collapse -
I'll write 'not more than others.'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2005 11:08 PM PST

Your friends may have that bad run where Toshiba forgot a grounding wire and the machine would lock up when you touched the speaker grill. While not a Toshiba exclusive, 2 year old Pentium 4 based laptops seem (and do) lockup a lot.

Just depends on what models they ran into.

Collapse -
a user
by Qosmio / November 13, 2005 11:48 PM PST

my Qosmio G25 has run perfect.ive owned it for 5 months now using it mobile for job estimates as well as my desk top had it,s issues with a statitic discharg in the past that was wiping out mother board left and right.that,s now resolved
good luck & God bless with you choice

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.