Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Portege won't start - pci.sys corrupt or missing

by kamiuk / April 9, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

My Toshiba Portege won't start. The error message says the system32/drivers/pci.sys is missing or corrupt - and to insert the original XP Pro setup disk and type "r" at the first screen to attemp a repair.

The only disk I have with the Portege is the recovery disk (which will format the hard drive and install the original configuration, which I don't want to do). I guess the only way is to buy an XP Pro disk and hope the file can be repaired.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA for any ideas.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Portege won't start - pci.sys corrupt or missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Portege won't start - pci.sys corrupt or missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why The Hesitation
by Fouad Bakht / April 9, 2005 4:31 PM PDT

Yes, the Recovery CD/DVD will actually reformat your hard-drive and install afresh your WinXP Pro as well as all your drivers but you will also lose your work/data. If you have a backup of the data then why dont you you just throw in that Recovery CD and sit back for a while so that all your things are back in order again? (This is a typical shortcut). Normally the Toshiba Recovery CD/DVD contains an image of the entire system which includes the original OS, Drivers and Toshiba Utilities, so it may be useless to insert the disk at the error message. So if the Recovery can do the trick why to buy an additional WinXP Pro CD.

Collapse -
Re my hesitation with the recovery disk
by kamiuk / April 10, 2005 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Why The Hesitation

I keep data backup so no problem there, but the idea of recustomizing XP, downloading/installing a year's worth of security updates for it, a year's worth of NAV updates and reinstalling about 40 other programs for trackball, modem, printers, scanner, camera, etc. is just not appealing. But I'm not even certain that trying a new XP Pro disk would repair the problem.

Collapse -
Not a Bad Idea Afterall
by Fouad Bakht / April 11, 2005 12:34 AM PDT

OK my biggest concern was your data, so if you got a backup of it then no problem. As for your concern about re-installation/configuration of the whole thing I assure you of the following:

1. Since you have Toshiba Recovery CD/DVD, so no problem. The moment you throw it in your drive, it will automatically re-install everything from operating system to drivers configuration. If you happen to possess a Windows XP Service Pack2 CD or get your hands on one, then install it too.
2. As for your the remaining updates, just leave it to Win XP auto update and Norton AV too. Everythings so automated, I dont think theres a problem at all.

Just let me know if more information is required on this subject.

Collapse -
and now, for some real help....
by server / April 11, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Toshiba, sony, and many many other all have this disgusting and nasty habit of not including FULL OEM CD operating systems due to 'piracy' etc. Yet
you pay good money and now you have a problem so they
(toshita) wants you to FORMAT and start from zero.

Find/obtain an ISO reader program and extract the
files you need individually. You can also google
for your file and take your chances.

Borrow a COPY of XP and extract the file you need!
then BURN a copy for yourself in case you need to
fix stuff later.

email a colleague and ask them to email you the file!

Collapse -
My problem is no more
by kamiuk / April 12, 2005 12:11 AM PDT

I finally accepted the fact that I couldn't fix the problem and went to my friendly Toshiba dealer/service rep and it only took a few minutes to fix the problem. I later did a thorough scandisk and some bad clusters were found and replaced, so I guess that was the cause of the problem.

Anyway, the idea that there is this Recovery Console (on Windows XP Pro installation disks) which can repair a major problem like I had is great, but with Toshiba and some other notebooks, you don't get the installation disk (only the recovery/formatting disk) so the Recovery Console is unavailable. To add insult to injury, it turns out that the Recovery Console can be installed on the hard drive and called up when a problem like I had comes up, but apparently Toshiba doesn't bother to add it to the files they leave on the hard drive so it can't be used if required. This Portege is my 5th Toshiba NB, but I may look at other brands if they provide more recovery/repair tools. I guess I'll just have to buy a Win XP disk and stop complaining. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Collapse -
Presto!!!!!!!!!!
by Fouad Bakht / April 25, 2005 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: My problem is no more

It seems there are very few notebooks which can meet your recovery demands and that means an IBM ThinkPad. Try one and you will see for yourself how much recoverable and dependable it is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.