TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Toshiba Plasmas No Longer Made By Panasonic?

by RoadRunner6 / August 6, 2006 2:00 PM PDT

According to information posted elsewhere on the Internet, it appears to be somewhat reliable that Toshiba's plasmas, including the 42HP66, 50HP16 and the 50HP66 are now assembled in Thailand by Orion PDP, a Korean firm which is a spin off of Orion Electric Co of Japan.

Orion is apparently an OEM manufacturer that makes TV's under the Orion, Insignia and Sansui brands as well as others. The post claims that Orion makes Toshiba's CRT sets also which might be verified by a quote I posted below. Maybe that is why the Toshiba 34'' CRT widescreen TV I purchased about 20 months ago was such a disappoinment. I returned it.

This Orion plasma for Toshiba apparently has a panel made by LG. I recently saw the 50HP16 at Costco for I think $2700. It was very attractive looking and the picture at Costco looked very good although I did not verify any of the settings. Next time I'm there I will check the backside for the country of manufacture.

Has anyone else heard anything that would verify this? It makes me more inclined to stay with the brands who we know make their own plasmas and glass. I hope Panasonic and other Japanese OEM manufacturers aren't going to go down this cost saving road in the furure because I'm pointing towards Panny for my next 50 inch plasma . I will be happy to pay extra money to get a 50'' plasma with quality glass and circuitry.

From the Web:

''In 2001, Toshiba signed a contract with Orion Electric, one of the world's largest OEM consumer video electronic makers and suppliers, to manufacture and supply finished consumer TV and video products for Toshiba to meet the increasing demand for the North American market''

I presume this might be when they started to make some CRT's for Toshiba.

RR6

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Plasmas No Longer Made By Panasonic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Plasmas No Longer Made By Panasonic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
heres what i noticed
by masterying01 / August 6, 2006 2:27 PM PDT

when we first got in the insignia tubes, the first thing i noticed (18 months ago?) was the volume GUI and menu looked exactly like the toshiba. the casing looked it it too. and the round crt's looked like sansui(which is made by orion)....so based on that...i would definitely say their tubes are made by Orion. your quote would definitely support that.

1 or 2 of our HD crt's from Insignia resembled an LG also...but i had no way of knowing. i'm not about to turn around a 150lb tv just to see where it was made...so yea....

as far as their plasma's and lcd's......they are one of our most popular flat-panels(both for price and picture quality.) i love them and i will keep selling them. we have not had any problems like the infamous "Gateway Plasma Problems" thread. their flat planels are great and i would recommend them for the price. however...their HD crt's now...are getting worst and worst exponentially. their sd tubes are still popular among the oldschool people.

i can't comment much on their rear projection dlp's. they are very inconsistent...but the picture quality is quite good. i'll leave it at that about the projos.

Collapse -
Thanks
by RoadRunner6 / August 6, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

Great info from someone in the business. Thanks Masterying01.

I'm not implying from what I have read that these new Toshiba plamas are not good. LG makes very good panels. However, when I recently was in Costco (in a hurry), I noticed the Toshiba at $2700 and the Panny at $3000. Even though I thought the Toshiba definitely had the best looking appearance, I might pay the extra $300 for the Panny now knowing that the Toshiba might not be a rebadged Panny.

Before I would have gone for the set with the best looks and hookups bewteeen these two brands. Now this might make my choice for me.

RR6

RR6

Collapse -
Title is misleading...
by waltchan / August 9, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

Your title is very misleading. Last year, all Toshiba plasma TVs are made and assembled by Toshiba with panel screens made by Panasonic. This year, all Toshiba plasma TVS are made and assembled by Orion with panel screens made by LG. Orion is not a Korean firm, in fact, there are two different Orion companies sharing the same name. The Orion Thailand one is a Japanese (well, not really Japanese, more like Thai) OEM electronic maker that currently produces products under the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia and iLO, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. Orion used to make many electronics for Emerson in the past, but now they make a lot of products for Toshiba.

Collapse -
Huh?
by RoadRunner6 / August 9, 2006 5:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Title is misleading...

How do you figure it is misleading?

I have information that seemed to be quite legitimate. I did my homework and checked out both Orion PDP of Korea and Orion Electric Co of Japan. There seems to be a connection as I stated above. Perhaps I am wrong on this connection bewteen the two Orion's.

Yes, I have said here on this forum many times (check my previous posts) that I thought that Toshiba plasmas were re-badged Panny's. Perhaps I was presuming that most knew that Toshiba's were formerly Panny's.

This new info seems to suggest that Toshiba is now changing and having their newest products (I listed the models) sourced from Orion instead of Panny. I checked the other day at Costco and the Toshiba model HP16 did show ''assembled in Thailand.''

My thread title is ended with a question mark. This means I am asking if anyone else can confirm this. Get it? In the first paragraph I say ''now assembled'' as apposed to the fact that they were not assembled here before. Sorry, if I did mislead anyone.

Hello?

RR6

Read this to confirm my information that Orion PDP is a ''spin off'' from Orion Electric.

http://www.activelight.com/products/manufacturer_page.asp?MFR=Orion

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.