Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba or HP?

by Sihri / July 21, 2009 8:25 AM PDT

I've been looking for laptops for a while and I'm stuck between the HP Pavilion dv6-1245dx and the Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960.
They seem virtually identical. Im leaning towards the Toshiba because of the longer batery life and the slightly lower cost. I also heard that the speakers on the Toshiba are better and the laptop is more durable than the HP.
The only thing keeping me from buying the Toshiba is the advice from my uncle. He said that from his experiences, his HP laptops were better than his laptops from different manufacturers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba or HP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba or HP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm...
by Silentredemption / July 21, 2009 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba or HP?

This comment may not help much, but I figured I'd give some input of what my friend told me. She owns two hp's and two Toshiba's (each of her son's and daughters get a computer.) So far she say's they both are equally good, She's own an hp and toshiba for about 4 years now and the other two for 2 years.

How ever, I must say, If I were stuck between the two, I would get the HP, I am just biased since I've been around Hp's for so long with college computers and even the labs in my classes now have HP laptops.

Collapse -
Some differences
by paulogloria / July 21, 2009 8:51 PM PDT

I have two HP and one Toshiba. My older HP (Windows XP) never had hardware problems and still works fine. My newer HP (Vista) had its motherboard replaced twice in two years. My Toshiba seems great built with good quality parts. However, HP has an advantage. When we uninstall a program, it is possible to reinstall it alone from the recovery options. In the Toshiba, it is not possible. We can only reinstall all the system as it came from factory.

Collapse -
Those laptops are virtually the same.
by orlbuckeye / July 22, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

They have the same Graphics cards and both have 12 cell batteries so battery life will be real close (over 5 hours). I was looking at the 17.3" HP and compared the sound to the other 17" system at Best Buy and the HP blew Asus and Dell away as far as sound.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.