Laptops forum

Question

Toshiba not turning on

by Ghazaryan2 / November 16, 2012 6:06 PM PST

My toshiba satellite a505-s6965 laptop won't turn on. I've had it for 3.5 years and the battery has been almost completely worn down. When unplugged, it lasts about 5minutes. Yesterday I spilled a drink on the corner of the keyboard where the number pad is on the bottom right side. I quickly wiped it down with some paper towels and continued to use it for about 3hours without any issues. This morning I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. When the laptop isn't plugged in, an orange light blinks where the power symbol is. When I plug the charger in, a white light turns on and remains lit where the charging symbol is (the symbol that shows the chord). Nothing happens when I press the power button, no matter how long I press it for. I have tried plugging it into different outlets but that doesn't make a difference. Could this be because the battery completely died, or because of the spilled drink?

I really need to get some files off of the laptop as soon as possible, and I'm wondering what the best way to do that would be/is it possible??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba not turning on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba not turning on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you leave that dead battery in there?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba not turning on

Why I ask is the 5 minute comment. Such a battery puts a strain on the circuits and charger and even if I discount the liquid spill issue it still means the charger or motherboard will be under a strain and will fail.
Bob

Collapse -
Very confused
by Ghazaryan2 / November 17, 2012 4:29 AM PST

So does this mean that I would be better off taking out the battery all together? And, are there any suggestions about how I could possibly get it to turn back on?

Since my last comment, the computer turned on for a few minutes and turned back off. And turned back on hours later for only a few seconds. Not sure what caused it, I was frantically pressing buttons and pulling out any flash drives

Collapse -
No confusion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Very confused

A battery that lasts 5 minutes strains the charger and laptop boards. There is no confusion about that. If the owners ignore this, you see the machine need a new charger if they are lucky (along with a new battery natch) and if unlucky a new motherboard.

Most folk won't do such repair due to new laptops are cheaper than the repair.

Your incident with liquid only makes the story worse as we can't tell if that or the battery issue fried one part or another.

No confusion here at all.

--> Advice? Remove the battery and try the generic reset noted at the top of this forum. Cross fingers and hope.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.