Computer Help forum

General discussion

Toshiba - No sound / broken volume dial

by andantesash / February 17, 2013 3:33 AM PST

Hi Guys,

My volume dial has fell inside my laptop at the front and now the volume isn't working on my laptop, I tried using the volume control next to the clock on the task bar but it won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba - No sound / broken volume dial
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba - No sound / broken volume dial
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It sounds like you'll need a service technician
by wpgwpg / February 17, 2013 3:50 AM PST

I think I'd take it to a service technician. Taking a laptop apart and repairing it takes skills that most of us don't have.

Good luck.

Collapse -
volume reading but no sound
by andantesash / February 18, 2013 1:29 AM PST

I have fixed alot of laptops in the past, stripped them to pieces, replaced screens etc. But this just has me stumped, it says its working in device manager and when I go to playback devices when I move the volume button up and down the little green audio bar goes up when I hit the top of the volume button.

Or If I play music, and go into playback to check whats coming out - the volume status mixer is bouncing up and down to the music - but no sound out the laptop. Also tried plugging in earphones but nothing either

Collapse -
I had a Tosh with a volume dial.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 1:34 AM PST

It went to a "POT" and if it was set to low, all you wrote above would be true.

You claim you repair laptops so is the volume dial still in need of re-attaching to the control?
Bob

Collapse -
dial is split
by andantesash / February 18, 2013 1:50 AM PST

I've take the laptop apart to get it out and its broken. The clip which it sits in is snapped in half so not going to be able to fix it that way. So trying to find out what the problem is as the sound is reading on the laptop but no out put

Collapse -
Again, the claim as I see it is you are a tech.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: dial is split

Just like any other potentiometer it could be set at a low level and no matter what Windows is showing the output should be low to off. Why not turn up the pot manually?

There is a 3 buck USB audio replacement if you can't do this work.
Bob

Collapse -
no pot
by andantesash / February 18, 2013 4:55 AM PST

Theres no pot dial on it, thats what I looked for when I opened it, theres just a wee plastic part coming up from it and it goes into a chip, you can't turn it either, its locked onto the chip. Is there any other way in the laptop that I can turn the volume up or down - other than the ways I said I've tried

Collapse -
So it's that newer digital pot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: no pot
Collapse -
replace
by andantesash / February 18, 2013 7:05 AM PST

I would replace the broken part, but the chip with the broken wheel clip is on the motherboard and can't find anything on the net for it

Collapse -
The other sources.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: replace

A dead model from ebay or craigslist if the parts from Toshiba are too much. I'm guessing here you have not used the phone to ask what FRU is needed and how much.

Bob

Collapse -
opened it again
by andantesash / February 18, 2013 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: The other sources.

I opened it again this morning to see if there was anything else I could do - I noticed when I force the metallic strips on the dial against the chip on the laptop - the sound plays, but they have to be pushed hard. Is there any way I can just switch to using the laptop software for volume instead of this - like a full disable of the dial chip?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: opened it again

But I thought your were an electronics technician. At this point I'm thinking you are not and would mis-identify a broken pot as a chip. You might not know how, in manufacturing you can paint a potentiometer and well, you are out of your depth. I can't teach basic electronics here but a good tech and jump the pot to full on with a small wire and fine solder work.
Bob

Collapse -
what?
by andantesash / February 19, 2013 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

have I ever said I was an electronics technician? - think you should go read over things before you post false statements, where have I said I was an electronics technician? I said I have fixed a few laptops in the past - how does that make me an electronics technician?

So how do you suggest I fix this so called pot when there is no where to turn as its broken clean off?

I asked for help from people and you have done nothing but slate me, I wanted help - not for you to say your not this or that!

Don't bother replying as I don't want your help Bob

Collapse -
I read above
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

You are inside the laptop so you are now a technician.

I'm an electronics engineer so I have to guess what you are by what you are doing. If you are inside, you are a tech. There are all varying levels of techs but to fix this would be trivial for the everyday electronics tech given the story so far.

Sorry to upset you but unless you have the basics down pat with a year or more in some electronics classes you can't be instructed on how to fix this with a small piece of 30ga wire and a little solder work. WHY? Because you don't do this work and I can't see the board from what I am.

So get the cheap USB device before you do any more damage.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) When the forum bottoms out. Reply to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:27 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.