Laptops forum

Toshiba NB205 Stuck on Boot?

by jmain80 / August 25, 2011 9:56 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba NB205. I press the power button and it is stuck on the black screen reading Toshiba Leading Innovation. When I press esc it brings me to BIOS information readingKAVAA BIOS version V1.20CPU= 1 PROCESSORS DETECTEDINTEL ATOM CPU N280 1.66GHz1015M SYSTEM RAM PASSED512 KB CACHESYSTEM BIOS SHADOWEDVIDEO BIOS SHADOWEDFIXED DISCK 0: HITACHI HTS545016B9A300MOUSE INITIALIZED When trying to press F2 or F12 (setup or boot selection) it will not go through When you power on the device and hold F2 or F12 it will not go through but hangs on please wait When you try to press 0 for system recovery, it does nothing When you press del it does nothing It
just stays on the Toshiba screen. The LED light for the hard drive
blinks about 2 seconds upon start up and goes off. My general diagnosis
is that the hard drive has failed, but could I be missing something. Since
the computer does not come with a DVD/ROM drive, trying to run a
recovery counsle through windows is not an option, however, if I cannot
access boot device selection, I would not be able to run this anyways. Has anyone else getting this problem and if so has it been solved? As I said, I am diagnosing that the hard drive has failed...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba NB205 Stuck on Boot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba NB205 Stuck on Boot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This is where you make a choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

Do you go get the USB DVDRW so you can boot other CDs or use the recovery media.

If not, you may want to arrange for service.

Collapse -
RE:This is where you make a choice
by jmain80 / August 25, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

I have no problem in getting the USB DVDRW or using the recovery media....but I am not able to do that because I cannot press F12 at startup to choose boot options...

Perhaps the hard drive is bad??

Collapse -
Thanks for clarifying that neither F2 or F12 work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 12:55 AM PDT

That means the machine has failed. Again you have to make decisions. Do you open it up and unplug then plug in the keyboard or do you arrange for repair?

At the top of this forum is the sticky posts and a nice author on how to repair laptops shows in detail how to unplug and reattach the keyboard cable.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.