Laptops

Question

Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot

by flim-flam / January 28, 2013 12:49 AM PST

I have a 16 month old Toshiba Notebook NB525-00H. I replaced the original 1GB memory card with a Crucial 2GB memory upgrade (2GB 204-PIN DDR3 SODIMMPC3-10600 CL3). I was very careful not to touch the surface of the memory card. It went in perfectly with no problem as per instructions.

When I tried to boot it, the power light came on, but the drive light comes on for only a second then goes out. I can hear the fan continuing to run but nothing appears on the screen. There's no effect if I try to use any F key when attempting a startup.

If I reinsert the original 1GB memory card, the same thing happens. There's no debris in the connection for the memory card.

Both the notebook and the memory card are out of warranty.How can I get it running again?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the generic reset first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 3:59 AM PST

It's at the top of this forum but in short it's power off, remove AC, battery, press hold power button for 60 seconds, release, slip in battery, apply AC and retest.
Bob

Collapse -
Generic Reset
by flim-flam / January 28, 2013 4:33 AM PST

I did that reset test but still no boot.

Collapse -
The nothing on screen and no beeps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Generic Reset

That's not good.

REMOVE all ram and try again (reset too) and hope for beeps in protest of the missing ram.
Bob

Collapse -
protest
by flim-flam / January 28, 2013 9:45 PM PST

Done but still no beeps of protest.

Collapse -
What other parts can be pulled?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: protest

HDD, WiFi or miniPCIe cards? We're near the end of the end so no reason to stop removing parts.
Bob

Collapse -
When you have RAM in again, try booting from a disc
by wpgwpg / January 28, 2013 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Generic Reset

You could have a hard drive problem, so when you get the RAM back in, try booting from something on a disc that will bring something up. Possibilities include a Windows install disc, a repair disc, some backup/restore utility, a Ubuntu disc.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Boot from Disk
by flim-flam / January 28, 2013 9:43 PM PST

Unfortunately this notebook does not have a built in disk drive. When I plug a USB disk drive into it and then boot there's no change. It does not not get far enough into the boot sequence to even cause the light on the disk drive to light up.

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Boot from Disk

The notebook does not have a built in disk drive. In that case one uses an external drive to boot into a recovery disk, and Windows disk, a Linux disk, any bootable CD or DVD in fact. The only unfortunate thing is that you will have to find or buy one (or bring your notebook to a repair shop).

Kees

Collapse -
disk drive
by flim-flam / January 29, 2013 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: disk

I have a portable USB disk drive. I plugged it into the laptop with a windows disk in it and tried to boot but nothing changed.

Collapse -
Re: tried to boot but nothing changed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: disk drive

That can mean 4 things:
1. You didn't set the BIOS to boot from that USB-drive.
2. The portable drive has gone south, needs cleaning of the head or doesn't have enough power.
3. The Windows disk isn't bootable.
4. The motherboard has gone south. That most likely means a new laptop.

It's up to you (or the repair shop) to find out which of the 4.

Kees

Collapse -
4 things
by flim-flam / January 29, 2013 9:56 AM PST

The disk drive works on other computers and the disk is bootable so it's 1 or 3.
The BIOS is whatever it is from the factory. It's never been changed.

Collapse -
Re: BIOS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: 4 things

Why not check what the 'boot-device' is set to. It could very well you need to change the current setting.

Kees

Collapse -
Boot device
by flim-flam / January 30, 2013 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: BIOS

I can't access the BIOS settings. It won't respond to any F key when I try to boot it.

Collapse -
It could be the Delete key.
by wpgwpg / January 30, 2013 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Boot device

Why not download a copy of your user guide from the Toshiba web site and see what the procedure for getting into the BIOS setup is? If the documented method doesn't work, you have a very serious hardware problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
F8
by flim-flam / January 30, 2013 10:37 PM PST

The documented method for gertting into BIOS would be using F8 on startup but that doesn't work in my case so I guess there's no easy fix, just repair shop or junk bin.

Collapse -
Answer
You're mistaken about BIOS
by wpgwpg / January 30, 2013 11:06 PM PST

I've seen a whole lot of computers of all brands and NEVER has F8 been the way to get into the BIOS because that key is reserved for the Advanced Boot Menu. On my Toshiba Satellite L755 it's the F2 key. Check that user guide.

Collapse -
BIOS
by flim-flam / January 31, 2013 4:24 AM PST

Yes, you're probably right. But, nomatter what F key I use there's still no response from the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.