Computer Help forum

General discussion

Toshiba laptop won't boot.

by kemperhills / September 14, 2011 2:47 AM PDT

I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132 laptop running Windows 7 for Christmas. He used the laptop about a week ago, and a couple of days ago tried to use it and it won't boot. Most of the time when the computer is turned on there is simply a blank screen. Sometimes a scree will show up that has Toshiba's name on it with F2 go to utility manager and F12 go to boot manager in the bottom left corner then a blank screen. Then sometimes it screen with Toshiba's name and the F2 and F12 will show up and them after a while something that looks like and underline that is blinking will show up in the upper left hand corner and there will appear a message that says ...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

ForAtheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9(12/15/09)

Check cable connection
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom.
No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key

When it opens pressing F2 in Setup Utility the system time is correct, the System Date is correct and Language is in English. You can enter these three and change them. But the CPu Type, Cpu Speed, HDD/SSD, Total memoy Size, an Sytem Bios Version cannot be selected or entere.

The boot manager can be entered and the boot sequence can be changed. Nothing else can be done, can't even enter safe mode.

So does anyone have any idea why this laptop won't boot. Or is the computer history. We have lost the receipt so Toshiba won't talk about repair.

The computer was on sale for a little over $300 so to take it to a computer repair place will probably cost more that simply getting another computer on sale.

Thanks for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba laptop won't boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba laptop won't boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a dead hard drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

But why not try one of those LIVE CDs? Google UBUNTU for one I use a lot. It boots from CD, no install and gives me a good idea about the machine's health.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like
by kemperhills / September 14, 2011 9:28 AM PDT
Well, might be, the computer doesn't recognize the SSD. Thanks for the help.
Collapse -
SSD's are hit and miss
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

I see it came with a 250GB HDD. Time to put that back in?

Collapse -
SSD's are hit and miss.
by kemperhills / September 14, 2011 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: SSD's are hit and miss
Happy Can't Proffitt, it has the HD that came in the computer. Grin
Collapse -
I looked at the Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 1:16 AM PDT

And it came with a 250GB HDD. You wrote SSD which isn't stock according to Toshiba.

I noted it in hopes you could slip the original drive back in. At least HDDs are cheap now.
Bob

Collapse -
I looked at
by kemperhills / September 15, 2011 7:41 AM PDT

Ok, in the BIOS it is listed as HDD/SSD I just typed the last three. Blush

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I looked at

Makes a lot more sense (to me.)

HDDs are pretty cheap now. While I really like the speed boost I got from that 99 buck Seagate Hybrid HDD some will cringe at that price. I think the stock model is 49 bucks now.
Bob

Collapse -
I have seen that before
by TWB404 / September 14, 2011 3:13 AM PDT

The last time I saw that the BIOS had been password protected. It will allow you in for the very basic of things but you can not change anything. How are you getting into BIOS? Do you get any windows that look like you should type a password or anything else?

Collapse -
I have seen
by kemperhills / September 14, 2011 9:32 AM PDT

No, no password windows appear. And when I press the F2 button it takes me to utility setup where the HD is listed and it shows that the HD is not recognized. I was hoping that something had happened that could be fixed, but it looks like the SSD may have fried.

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Try this
by TWB404 / September 14, 2011 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I have seen

If you want to test try this. Follow the procedure below to see if you can reset the BIOS back to factory setting. If it will not do this there is a password in play. This should not cause any problems, I reset BIOS all the time. BUT, I offer no guarantee on how it might affect your laptop.

To change BIOS settings to default power on the system. While the Toshiba logo is being displayed, press the F2 function key to start BIOS Setup. From the BIOS setup screen press the F9 key to load defaults. The system will prompt the user confirming that the settings are to be reset. Press the enter key then press the F10 key and follow the prompts to save settings and exit. The computer will automatically reboot.

Collapse -
Try this
by kemperhills / September 14, 2011 11:28 PM PDT
Happy TWB, tried that before I posted. But thanks for the help. Happy
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.