Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Laptop (Satellite) making noise and stopped working

by ajmrkva / February 6, 2009 10:14 AM PST

Hello, my friend's laptop made by Toshiba is currently on the fritz.
It was running and then started making a clicking noise on the right side, the click was sort of a grind, with an electric high pitched blip or screech here and there, then it sounded like a part would thud against something, all the while the computer basically freezes. Now it won't boot all the way, it will start to then basically freeze during booting.

Any ideas of what the problem is?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Laptop (Satellite) making noise and stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Laptop (Satellite) making noise and stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe...
by 1shado1 / February 6, 2009 2:15 PM PST

...the hard disk drive is toast.

Collapse -
I think you are right
by ajmrkva / February 8, 2009 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe...

So I am shopping for a new Hard drive for a Toshiba Satellite A215 PSAFGU-05F01D and instructions and how to do the installation.

I don't know anything about installing hard drives and so I could use anything from text to pictures to video. Video would be best.

Does anyone have recommendations on what hard drives work with this model, where I can find them cheapest, and where I can get instructions?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I'm trying...
by 1shado1 / February 8, 2009 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: I think you are right

...but what digits are after the "A215-"? It would save the trouble of cross-referencing.

A215-XXXX PSAFGU-05F01D

Collapse -
Nevermind...
by 1shado1 / February 8, 2009 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: I'm trying...

...I found it:

A215-S5818

Collapse -
The Specs...
by 1shado1 / February 8, 2009 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: I think you are right

...of your laptop are exactly identical to my L355D (except for HDD and screen size). I just did a HDD upgrade (yesterday, in fact) on mine. Went from 200GB to 500GB. It only involves removing 2 screws from an access plate on the bottom, pulling out the drive (there's even a little strap for this), and removing another 4 screws from the metal drive carrier(or whatever it is called). A ten minute job, if you take your time (more like 5).

I got my drive from these folks, and it was in my mailbox in 3 days (paid on the 4th, arrived yesterday).

http://tinyurl.com/bbf852

They have other size drives listed if you want something smaller. I have no other affiliation with these folks beyond being a VERY satisfied customer.

Collapse -
P.S.
by 1shado1 / February 8, 2009 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: The Specs...

Whatever drive you get, make sure it is 2.5 inch, SATA.
Also 5400RPM, or 7200RPM (if battery life isn't an issue). My L355 came with a 4200RPM drive, and was a real dog. Avoid those, IMO.

Is it possible this laptop is still under warranty? It can't be very old.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.