How To

Question

Toshiba HDD recovery help!

by Dav11t / March 18, 2013 5:56 AM PDT

Hi i have Pro Toshiba satlite pro C660. I have restored it to faculty settings twice before and i never had problem. then HDD Recovery image file was disappeared from Disk D. i have installed and new windows i made back up on Disk D and installed windows on Disk C.

a few days ago i found HHD Recovery image folder on Disk D > Movies so it was moved to a different folder(dont know how/when). i moved it back on Disk D. when i go to advanced boot options>Restore your computer> Tosshibe HDD Recovery (as i used to do it before) tells me that there is no recovery image file found on this machine.. but it is on Disk D and Disk D> Mov Folders. what would u suggest me to do ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba HDD recovery help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba HDD recovery help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 6:00 AM PDT

My suggestion: order the recovery DVD's with Toshiba, if you didn't make them yourself. And use those.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe?
by Willy / March 19, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

If the recovery folder or s/w that is the old "D recovery files" make an .ISO file from it. provided how big it is or the total size of those recovery files, etc. add up to. If less than a 4.7 blank DVD+R or 9.4(dual-density) maybe you could make a recovery disc. This is only a guess at best, it would have been better if you made the recovery disc before when new and everything was where it was suppose to be. Proceed to make the .ISO file and then burn a "bootable" recovery file and see if it works. All you lost is the time and blank disc to check this out. Otherwise, order the recovery disc for model# while they're still in wares and can be gotten.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thx
by Dav11t / March 19, 2013 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe?

Thanks for your answer but how do i make it a ISO disc. there is no ISO files in the folder so i can't really burn them as ISO. also it is 7GB and i dnt know how Dual Destiny disk works.. will Nero be able to handle it ?

Collapse -
Hope this helps...
by Willy / March 20, 2013 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: thx

Nero is your burning DVD s/w and it should under it operation provide a path to select files or folder. You then select to make an .ISO file of those files/folder selected. It's better to have a folder that all is there to be gotten. However, again this should have been the way it was when it was original location. Under windows back-up or recovery process you can select and from its operation is is a all-in-one operation(have 2-3 blank discs available) which again you tell it what you want. Toshiba should have a help guide in that very procedure, visit their support website. As for making the .ISO file, click on Nero and see what options are present, then make the .ISO file. Once done, you burn the .ISO because that's a burnable ready file just for that purpose. Google for terms to better understand what'e being provided here, to grasp the terminology.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1848-burning-an-iso-file-using-nero

http://www.mediatechnics.com/dvdcapacities.htm

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I don't think that works.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope this helps...

That link (the first one) expects an .iso file as input, not a random collection of files. And it wouldn't be bootable either.

Kees

Collapse -
It all depends...
by Willy / March 21, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

Which is why I stated it should have been done when all was in place during initial day 1 setup. If all those files are correct and still the same arrangement and ONLY was moved within the D drive, maybe it will work. Again, I offered its worth the effort to check results. I still offered to get from OEM any discs. Also, if an user is capable then one can make a bootable disc and/or if so selectable from the burning s/w. That bootable may only offer a menu which then points to some setup or added user intervention to continue. It all varies which is why most OEM immediately post the warning to make "recovery/restore disc(s)" during the owner's 1st days of operation. To do this after prolonged use may not always be so easy, but even if never done, the OEM s/w for such an operation is present and if a user follows procedure may still make as originally intended, *maybe*. Besides burning, one could dump those files to a flash drive just to have them as raw source back-up.

As for the links provided were simply informational and even then it depends on the version of Nero which may vary yet again slightly.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.