Car Tech forum

General discussion

Torque Converter clutch circuit

by medman_q8 / May 19, 2005 4:29 PM PDT

I've got a Honda Odyssey 2000, I got MIL lighted up few days ago and getting a weird transmission lock on low steady speeds, the scan tool gave P0740 which reads Torque Converter clutch circuit /Open, or malfunction, is this electrical or mechanical malfunction, and does this denote a lot of work? replacement or only tune up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Torque Converter clutch circuit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Torque Converter clutch circuit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Torque Converter clutch circuit
by tbehunin / July 6, 2005 3:48 PM PDT

Hey medman_q8.. I have the exact same issue with my 01 Odyssey EX. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Collapse -
by henryJAMIEL / August 29, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

Ihave the same problem did have a answer to your problem

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Take it to the dealer
by jrmar07 / July 8, 2005 9:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
needs technical help
by jcatapang / September 26, 2005 6:38 AM PDT

I bought a 2001 honda odyssey two years ago. The malfunction Indicator Lamp lighted yesterday and I can hear strange sounds when I put pressure on my breaks. I checked and clean my break pads and drums and they still looks like in good working condition. I also checked the fuel cap and it was properly installed. I use a scan tool and gave me a P0740 reading which indicates TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. I do not have an idea on what is this. Please help

Collapse -
Needs Technical Help
by CMEAutomotive / September 26, 2005 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: needs technical help

When a P0740 code arises there could be several malfunctions. Mechanical and Electrical, since the converter clutch only ingauges under certain load conditions of the vehicle, probrably what is happening is the torque converter clutch is staying engaged, which can cause noises and sometimes cause a stall condition (i.e. vehicle cuts off at stops) the best course of action would be to take it to dealership and let them diagnos the problem. I have built several transmission with this code to find that a computer or a simple reflash of the computer to be the fix. Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix

Collapse -
P0740 - just got back from the dealer
by AAGunner3 / June 7, 2007 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Needs Technical Help

Diagnosis was that Honda would only replace the transmission. Transmission cost: $1690
w/ parts & labor pre-tax - 2800

I haven't yet had anyone open the transmission up and see if it was just electrical, computer or mechanical. Hope I can find some place local to rebuild it for much cheaper than what the dealer thinks it'll cost.

Collapse -
Transmissions 101
by Andy77e / June 10, 2007 7:10 AM PDT

This will be a bit technical. For those who have driven a stick/standard transmission car, this will be more easy to understand.

A transmission is what connects an engine, to the drive wheels making them spin (thus moving your car). Now if the engine is connected to the wheels, then when the engine speeds up the wheels speed up, and the reverse thereof.

If the wheels stop, and the engine is connected to them, the engine stops. So why does the engine keep going when you stop at a red light?

On a standard/stick shift car, you push the clutch. By pushing the clutch pedal, you are disconnecting the engine from the wheels. This allows the engine to run freely while the wheels are stopped.

On a automatic transmission, you have a device called a torque converter. A real simple explaination is picture two box fans. On facing the other. One pluged in and running, is blowing air into the other, which is not plugged in. What happens? The other spins from the air moving through it.

This is kind of how a torque converter works. The engine drives one "fan" and the other "fan" is connected to the wheels. As one drives the other, your car moves. But just like the box fans, if you stop one fan with your finger, the blowing fan does not. Similarly even though you leave your engine in drive, and you stop at a red light, the engine does not stall out.

Now this is good for stopping, but on the highway, this system is not efficient. So there is an extra part called the torque converter clutch. This, just like a clutch in a stick shift car, locks the engine to the wheels.

So here comes the part you want to know: What's wrong?
Most all torque converter clutches are run by computer since the early 80s. The computer does this by powering a valve that opens and causes the clutch to lock up. When you brake or let off the gas, the valve should de-power and close, causing the clutch to release.

If it does not, then you get funny things happening when you stop (engine wheels locked together, wheels stop, engine stops). This is bad for you engine, and bad for your transmission. This is the common problem as valves tend to get stuck open when they go bad.

I had a Chevy Lumina which did this. The valve went bad, and was very easy to replace. There was a access port on the side of transmission, and the valve was only about $50 bucks.

Here's the key to you: The valve could get stuck open, and the valve could be sending bad vibes to the computer which caused the P0740. Or there could be a sensor that is giving bad info to the computer making it think the valve is messed up when it isn't. The noise you hear could be the clutch, from not releasing (bad valve), or it could be the computer putting the transmission in fale safe mode (which sometimes make noises).

Advice: If you can determine for certain it's a bad valve, it might be easy to replace. I do not know your specific transmission, so you'll have to do some research on how hard it is.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW... for certain, your best option is to take it to a dealership. It could be a sensor gone bad, a bad computer, or a bad valve... there's also an off chance it could be something unrelated like wiring and such. You'd end up doing the part swap guess game that costs so many so much money.

Collapse -
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
by jimmlee / August 28, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Transmissions 101

I really learned alot, thanks.

Collapse -
Transmission 101 Re: stalling
by SiFiYank / December 20, 2010 4:41 PM PST

My 1997 Jeep Cherokee js is having that problm. I took it to the tranny shop but hey could not run a test on it as the vehicle eeps stalling out the moment you let off the gas. I figured from Jeep owner forums I belong to that it was this sensor or something. Is there anywhere I can find the exact location o this thing? I have seen somewhere where it is believed to be on the valve assembly inside the pan before I go tearing into thigs I want to be sure of its location. I want to be able to drive this Jeep again or I am selling it off quick.

Collapse -
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
by ivantai92 / June 7, 2012 4:37 AM PDT

That's really good information.
I got the code on my car but everything seems fine except that I think its going through a lot of fuel. I could watch my fuel gauge go decrease pretty quick after a 30 min drive to school. I had the transmission rebuilt 20000 miles ago. What is your advice for this problem? Should i get a flush or something else?

Collapse -
by mattrunner / June 7, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

i recently changed the heads of my car and the sbc aluminum heads work great. although i had to fork out a bit more but in the end it was worth it.

Collapse -
by chentaoxinglue / April 10, 2010 5:55 PM PDT

Honda will fix your transmission problem for free.

Collapse -
We were told to replace our transmission.
by Hberm / September 21, 2015 8:10 PM PDT

Our '99 Honda Odyssey (178,000miles) has a Torque Converter Clutch Circuit malfunction. We have already replaced the transmission 6 years ago. Does anyone have any advice? We can't afford a new transmissionat this point it would would be pouring $$$ into a van worth $600.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.