PC Applications

General discussion

Tool to open and close CD door?

by jbt / August 1, 2006 2:12 AM PDT

Win XP MCE

I've apparently worn out the button you push to open the CD door on my little over than 1 yr old Dell Dimension. This is not another rant about the crappy computer with yet more broken hardware.

Is there a free utility that I could possible put on desktop as a shortcut that will open the door and expose the empty CD tray? I've been using a paper clip.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tool to open and close CD door?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tool to open and close CD door?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Tool to open and close CD door?
by Tufenuf / August 1, 2006 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
A solution
by jbt / October 16, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

The tool is handy, however won't open door the first time after computer is rebooted and often won't even after used a time or two.

By accident I discovered that all I have to do is keep a CD or DVD in the tray at all times. Works every time!

jt

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I see such out there, find with google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2006 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
My apologies for not being more clear...
by jbt / August 1, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

No problems opening tray that has a CD/DVD in it. I suppose the obvious solution is to always have a disc in tray?

However, really want something that will open an empty tray.

Bob,

I did google... googled my axx off. You have given me too many good (even though usually acerbic) answers over the years for me to get really PO'd.

anon

Collapse -
Eject will open the empty tray too
by ChuckT / August 1, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

You do not need a disk in the tray for [Eject] to open it.

An easy way of getting there, is just press Windows+E (press and hold the Windows or "Flag" key, and then press the E key) and the Explorer will open.

Then just right-click over your desired CD or DVD drive, and right-click the [Eject] command.
The tray will open - whether or not it has a disk in there.

Collapse -
RE: Eject will open the empty tray too
by jbt / August 1, 2006 9:29 PM PDT

Chuck T
Tufenuf

Perhaps it is supposed to, but it doesn't open unless there is a CD in the tray. If I hit Open I get the below message:

http://www.fototime.com/4549D112371477A/orig.jpg

If I try Eject nothing happens except one time got an unresponsive error message from Windows and I sent in the report.

Power outages and circuit breakers shutting down things yesterday and evening so couldn't play with it more.

Thanks,

jbt

Collapse -
That's strange.
by Tufenuf / August 1, 2006 9:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
RE: That's strange
by jbt / August 1, 2006 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: That's strange.

Tufenuf,

I did download it. It's shareware and required way too much personal info to simply try it out so would rather not use.

Guess I'll just leave a CD or DVD in the tray at all times. Must have close to 50 Memorex blanks (all the black ones in a large multi-color spindle) that are only good for coasters anyways.

I'm becoming a bitter old man way before my days. Guess better go buy some cold ones before all sold out due to heat wave.

Thanks anyways!

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / August 1, 2006 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: That's strange
Collapse -
by jbt / August 2, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

> jbt, I'm fairly certain you'll find a Freeware Program at one of the many links at the google link I posted in a previous reply.

Tufenuf,

I installed freebie "Drive Tray Manipulator" and really like it even though now apparent have a hardware problem. Works most of the time, but occasionally need to use the paperclip before trying again. (it ALWAYS works if disc already in tray)

It might be time for me to look for replacement as I burn maybe 1000 discs a year.

Thanks all for the help! More questions undoubtedly coming in the future and I promise not to be cranky.

jbt

Collapse -
It wouldn't hurt to try
by Tufenuf / August 2, 2006 1:24 AM PDT

jbt, If you have a CD/DVD Lens Cleaner CD or if you know someone who does pop it in to clean the laser. It's worth a shot to try it. They are reasonably priced at any Computer store if you don't have access to one.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
RE: It wouldn't hurt to try
by jbt / August 2, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

Tufenuf,

Will buy one next time go to town.

Thanks!

Collapse -
re: buy one next time go to town
by ChuckT / August 3, 2006 4:24 AM PDT

Have one sent to you. There are so many bargain websites around that let you in on great deals on items, not just CD/DVD drives, and many places even include free shipping.
These bargain hunting websites do not sell anything, they just let you know who has what deals going on right now, and if special codes or clicks are required they'll tell you those steps too. That is why you will often see the same deals on separate deal websites.
I am sure they get some money back (fractions of a penny) per click through but I wouldn't begrudge them that.

Here are a few that I frequent:
http://www.gotapex.com/
http://www.xpbargains.com/
http://www.techbargains.com/
and finally my favorite:
http://www.bensbargains.net/
Click the category CD/DVD Drive on the right side of the page.

There are least a half-dozen 16x DVD-RWs there, right now, under $35, and most include free shipping.

Collapse -
Wow, thanks Chuck!
by Brianstech / August 10, 2006 10:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Don't you have a Dell warranty in effect?
by vb_lvr / September 16, 2006 11:26 AM PDT

With the computer being only 1 year old... don't you have a Dell warranty that exceeds 1 year? it seems to me that burning 1000 CD's a year, god knows how many times you really opened it, that you would have made sure you ended up with a Dell 3 year warranty.

Collapse -
You are probably seeing that message because...
by ChuckT / August 2, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

I suspect that you are first clicking the CD drive, with the left button, before what we want you to, and that is to hover the cursor over your desired drive, and then ONLY right-click it.
You do not left-click the drive at all.

By left-clicking it you are saying, to the computer, ''show me the files on the disk,'' and since there is no disk in the drive, the computer is then telling you (per your captured image): ''Please insert a disk into drive E:''

All we want you to do, is right-click to see the menu of items for that drive that you have the cursor hovered over. One selection is [Eject].

Try that.

Note: that same sort of message will display if you select the floppy drive (Drive A:) and if there is no floppy there. However you can right-click it, and see the [Properties] of "it" (which will show 0 Bytes), since there really is no floppy there.

Collapse -
Also, I see you said you "hit Open"
by ChuckT / August 2, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

You said "If I hit Open I get the below message: (the image of the Please insert disk...)"

That is NOT what we told you to do. You are not supposed to select Open. To Open it is the same as left-clicking it. You are saying to the computer to "show me the files..."

We asked you to right-click and select the [Eject] command.

Collapse -
Just noticed: ''I try Eject nothing happens''
by ChuckT / August 2, 2006 7:04 PM PDT

Looking back through your messages:

''worn out the button''
so, the button does not open your door, right?

That tells me that the drive mechanism doesn't work. The button doesn't do anything more than what the signal [Eject] (as what we were asking you to do before) would do.

So I am not surprised that the Eject signal doesn't work either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you used the paperclip method, that only opens the CD drawer slightly, and then you physically drag out the drawer more. Right?

What about using the [Eject] on your other drive (I see you have DVD-RW drive F: ), does that work correctly?

If the [Eject] command on drive F: works, and doesn't on drive E:, then it looks like your Drive E: is just bad.

On the plus side, since it is your ''less qualified'' drive Happy (drive E: being just a DVD, whereas your drive F: being a DVD-RW) then replacing it with just another DVD ROM is still going to be cheap. But with prices of DVD-RW's being so cheap now, I see 16x under $35 now, at least it won't cost that much to upgrade.

Sorry I didn't notice your comment, about Eject not working, sooner.

Collapse -
RE: Just noticed: ''I try Eject nothing happens''
by jbt / August 2, 2006 10:11 PM PDT

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you used the paperclip method, that only opens the CD drawer slightly, and then you physically drag out the drawer more. Right?"

ChuckT,

I tried physically pulling out the drawer once after the paperclip opened it slightly, but there was so much resistance that I quit. However, after using the paperclip the eject button often works for two or three times before drawer sticks again. Sometimes I have to do the paperclip thing more than once before the button works again.

I didn't realize the DVD Rom drives were that inexpensive and will look for a replacement next time go to town. Will also buy the cleaner disc that Tufenuf suggested earlier. Sounds like something I should have anyways.

Replacing the drive looks like something I shouldn't have any problems doing myself.

Thanks much!

Collapse -
Re: My apologies for not being more clear...
by Tufenuf / August 1, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

jbt, Just go into My Computer, right click on the CD drive and choose "eject". That should open an empty tray or a loded tray. Do the same thing to close the tray or just nudge the tray a bit to close it.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Found something on the first try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2006 8:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
And stay away from my Corn Flakes. OK?
by jbt / August 1, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

Bob,

If there was one thing I learned in the army in the 60s it was "never, ever mess with a man's food!"

Your flakes are safe with me...

jbt

Collapse -
This program may help
by colindarby / August 1, 2006 8:13 AM PDT

I have been using same for about 2 months and I feel you will find same to your liking!
For All Windows??
-----------------------
CD Tray Pal = Free Program = CD Tray Pal = from Web Site =

http://www.e-systems.ro/cdtraypal.htm

This program makes it easy to open and close the CD trays [for 2 trays!]Can customise to use with Short Cuts

Hope will assist

Collapse -
cd tray pal
by sp8smate / August 11, 2006 5:41 PM PDT
In reply to: This program may help

Downloaded this program and while it does work it wants to be activated each time I start windows. Not a good sign of well writen software.

Collapse -
Cheapest tool available
by NooYawka / August 11, 2006 1:51 AM PDT

Unbend a paperclip (one leg). One the front of the CD drawer you should find a small hole. Insert the end of the opened paperclip and gently but firmly, push. It will release the mechanism holding the drwaer shut. This will also work if you forgot to remove a CD and shut down the computer.

Collapse -
ummmmm
by GBTrevor / August 11, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Did he not say he was doing this in the initail request for help???

Collapse -
oops Sorry
by GBTrevor / August 11, 2006 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: ummmmm

He did mention it further along the threads

Collapse -
Yea, i have noticed that too...
by vb_lvr / September 16, 2006 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: oops Sorry

That many people on here don't read very well.

Collapse -
Nero
by auntetr / August 11, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

Well, at least you discovered the paper clip tool. I used to do tech support for the old XBox and with their crappy drives, it was mentioned a lot.

Nero is a good player for CD's and Dvds. It plays a great deal louder than Media Player 10 on my box and has the eject button you seek. I imagine it could even kick out software discs, although I haven't tried to do that.

I keep hearing bad things about the lower cost Dell computers. I wonder what's up with that?

Cheers!

Collapse -
yahoo widgets ( Tool to open& close CD door)
by p1j1h1 / August 12, 2006 11:48 AM PDT

has one that I put on my desk top. Just click on it and the tray I have assigned to it opens right up. Just go here http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/ they have alot of other neet stuff also!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.