Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

toobars rogue

by rimosmob / July 25, 2013 8:59 PM PDT

why does cnet download ask people to load toolbars when some of them are suspicous and can and do load rogue software with them i have removed a lot of rogue software becuase of this i think there should be a warning
to people who download programs such as kingsoft when you download it it ask to say yes our decline a toolbar download during its install

i fix and repair pc and laptops and at times have to remove toobars that cause problems

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: toobars rogue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: toobars rogue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same as above rogue toolbars
by rimosmob / July 25, 2013 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: toobars rogue

declining is the best idear loading these toolbars are more trouble than they are worth
i know its advertizing revenue from these but risking peoples pc is ?

Collapse -
I declined and it still installed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2013 2:09 AM PDT

There are long discussions about this but if you ask a moderator today they don't suggest download.com anymore.

As to why, the answer I got was there was a promotion of Sweetpacks and sadly you can see the fallout.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your feedback.
by CNETSupport / July 26, 2013 4:53 AM PDT

We have shared your comments with the appropriate site managers for consideration.

All downloads that use the CNET Download.com Installer do provide a "Direct Download Link" (just beneath the green "Download Now" button on the product page for all CNET Installer Enabled items); you can click that link to download without using the Installer.

For an example of the Direct Download Link, please see this page:

http://t.cnet.com/15t7hv0

For more detailed information on the CNET Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/SB3tiC

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact our support team directly by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
Jen, honestly. Please stop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

Download.com did the deed here and is tarnishing the CNET brand. My opinion is that your replies are not helping as Web Of Trust is warning folk off your links.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Fallout
by mchainmchain / July 26, 2013 5:02 PM PDT

Stopped using c|net's download.com quite some time ago, due to the issues noted above. Why download anything from here if one can go elsewhere and not have this sort of trouble?

Most people (users) do not have a backup plan, nor do they have a program similar to Ghost or other, so recovering from these issues is often not a small task, as it is when using a known clean image that was saved previously. We're talking hours and/or days, in some cases.

About that fallout:

Have been an user here for some time now, and have noted the forum queries have dropped off some from when I first started. How much, hard to say, but some forums I visit here sometimes have no new posts for a day or more, which is much different from when I first started.

I think running and offering the c|net download installer is hurting your brand more than it is helping you, and is then perhaps also causing some who might otherwise visit the forums to avoid them altogether.

Seriously, I'm with Bob as to impact with c|net branding. It appears to be going down, not up. Sad

Trust is everything in this business and it is always a good idea to remember that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.