Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

too many processes

by Sasha164 / March 6, 2008 10:17 AM PST

I have~~ at this very moment, 58 processes running in the background.
Now I am PC illiterate. But I know I don't need all 58 processes. How do I eliminate some and prevent others from running at start up?
Remember~~~~I know my way around a PC but not much.
I have a Dell desktop that my son 'fixed' due to this very same problem. But now I am having the same problem on my Compaq Presario w/ Vista [yuk]

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: too many processes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: too many processes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No you don't
by Dango517 / March 6, 2008 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: too many processes

that 29 processes per core. If your running Vista then you more then likely have a dual core processor so that's half the processes shown. 29 is not many.

The number of processes also varies greatly, often from moment to moment.

There is one exception. What is your processor usage when all this is happening? This is a better guide to the extent to which your system is running. If it's running at 100% all the time then you have a problem.

You can disable services but this has many risks. I would not advise it.

You also may have two many programs running at the same time. Only you can decide what you don't want to run. See the "startup" file in "all programs" for a starting point for shutting down some unneeded programs. Then type msconfig in the search box and click enter. An applet will appear. Choose the startup tab and unclick any programs you do not wish to run. Services can be disabled here as well but again I would not advise this.

Collapse -
by Sasha164 / March 6, 2008 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: No you don't

I know there are too many programs running.
My Dell desk PC runs 32 processes
My question is:
How do I control what runs on my Compaq Laptop when I start up.
And a manner that I can understand.
What to heck is that?
And where is "startup"?

Collapse -
Start> all programs> startup
by Dango517 / March 6, 2008 9:59 PM PST

Start> to the box you find there, then type, msconfig (you'll know what it is when you do it). This is English you will need to learn this language and that's just what it is. This requires some time and work.

If your not aware of these extremely fundamental aspects of your computer you may want to postpone what you want to do for awhile, till you do.

I would suggest you take three months and learn about your computer. What in it, how these things work, where things are, what your setting are. This would be time well spent. Basic computer skills can be mastered by almost anyone but this requires a commitment in time and some effort. Computing is to some extent simple but very, very, very complex.

You might start with your "help" function and these two web sites.

"Help" can be found by following this path. Start> help and support.

You might start by going to Wikipedia and searching for "computer processes".

About this........."My Dell desk PC runs 32 processes."

Again, this is not too many processes. If you were running 100 or more this might be a problem, "might" be a problem.

Collapse -
This is a good site to learn about searching on the web
by Dango517 / March 6, 2008 10:25 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: controlling startup programs
by Kees Bakker / March 7, 2008 3:43 AM PST

1. Normal programs:
In the start>run box type msconfig, OK, go to the startup tab.

2. Services
In the start>run box type services.msc

You'll find a good explanation of what most of these programs are in
Post processes you can't find enough information on here. Somebody might know.

Collapse -
MS Config
by Reaper351 / March 15, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

MSConfig is a command you type into the RUN box. To get there click "Start". Then click the "run" button. A dialog box will open up. Type in MSCONFIG. This will open up a window on the desktop called system configuration utility. From here you will see six tabs, General, System.INI, WIN.INI, BOOT.INI, Services and Start up. You want to go to Start up. After you click the start up tab you will see a list of programs. These programs are the start up programs that are running in the back ground on your computer. They will all have check boxes in front of them. If the box is checked, the programs runs at start up. If you uncheck the box the program does not start up. If you do not know what the program is, you can use the internet to find out what it is. You simply just type in the name next to the check box and do an internet search in an internet search engine. Things you want running all the time are your anti-virus, anti-spyware and your firewall. Everything else is usually pretty safe to turn off. If you do not know what it is, check the net to verify what it is before you turn it off. After you uncheck the boxes you will then click "apply" and then "ok". It will then ask you if you want to exit without restart or to exit and then restart. I would suggest exit with restart. After your computer restarts it will advise you that there has been changes made with MSConfig. You can just click "ok" or you can highlight the check box not to notify you and then click ok.
I hope that helped.

Collapse -
Fixing it simply
by k_tink / March 15, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

First of all, in your start menu look for adminstrator tools or system tools. Find the link to services. You will get a window that has options for all things running on the hard drive/boot menu.You may find that son has switched everything to automatic. This is a common solution for newbies trying to get things to run faster. If you have 3Gs+ it wont matter, but on your standard otc pc it eats alot of power. This also causes your boot to take a long time for the desktop to finish loading, and slows everything down in general. Go to a good tech site like this one or and find the correct settings for that settings menu. Some should be on manual others you can safely disable, others have to be auto. The person above was suggesting that you click start,then run, then type in "msconfig". click go, and your configuration menu opens, in it you can disable starting programs etc. It is NOT recomended that you do this without a better knowledge of what runs what. (It is also a very time consuming task as you should reboot after each change to locate the worst offenders). It is a good idea to run Disk cleanup at least once a week and defragement at least once a month. You will find these settings in your pc tools menu. Good luck.

Collapse -
Don't Fear the Reaper
by MeanDonnaJean / April 4, 2010 4:41 AM PDT

Personally Sasha164, I feel that Reaper351's reply to ya entitled "MS Config" is the one that most folks who do not speak computer-ese (such as myself) will pretty much easily comprehend (even tho I AM already aware of his perfectly outlined understandable procedure). Like HE said, I hope THIS helps as well Happy

Collapse -
RE: "that 29 processes per core" ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 15, 2008 6:53 AM PDT

Guess again but before making that guess take a moment to check process affinity (right click on any process and select Set Affinity to check it). By default ALL processes on a multi processor system are shared by all processors. Multi-core works exactly the same as multi-processor as essentially that is what they are.

If 58 processes are listed there are 58 running and even a casual glance will show they have different names and PIDs.

Collapse -
You are correct
by Dango517 / March 15, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

my over sight still not to many processes running

Collapse -
(NT) See posts 9-10
by Dango517 / March 15, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
msconfig not for unloading startup items
by johndoe77 / August 24, 2011 12:59 AM PDT

msconfig is for pc techs doing dx work.
Use other programs utilities like Ccleaner, Revo or perhaps even your a/v program to disable entries not needed.Norton has such an app.
Please do not use a registry cleaner even if tempted as that is basically what Ccleaner is. Just see the application that disables startup items in amy of these programs.

Collapse -
I suspect
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

that after 3 years or so, this is no longer a problem.

Collapse -
To wimpy6: sorry, I deleted your post.
by Kees Bakker / March 14, 2008 7:38 PM PDT

We don't allow site-promotion for competing forums, even if they are obviously non-commercial, and even if (as I think it's the case here) you're not related to it in any respect.
But a link to the home page of such a site is just a little bit too far.

Collapse -
what are those processes
by SisterMary / March 15, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

You'll love this one.
Go to
filed alphabetically are all the background processes/services which could be on your machine, and whether they are necessary or not, and how to get rid of them.
Enjoy !

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.