The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Tom's Replacement

by MPaulGriffith / April 20, 2010 12:03 AM PDT

While I'm incredibly disappointed he's leaving, does anyone have any thoughts on who might replace Tom?

I like Molly, but Tom provides a perfect balance. I'm not sure any of the current CNET personalities is even close to an adequate replacement. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any suggestions in or out of the CNET world? The closest I would consider is Rafe.

Anyhow, best wishes to Tom, he might actually make me want to check out TWiT again!

EcceNerdo

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tom's Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tom's Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My musings exactly....
by bentile / April 20, 2010 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom's Replacement

I too think that Tom's balance will be very hard to replace. He is admirably knowledgeable about...well...everything. Has a great ability to think analytically and articulate those thoughts--even as a "devil's advocate" if necessary. He has brought some serious nerd-cred to this show. And no one has mastered the segway like he has. As like-able and capable as the other hosts are, I'm not sure any can be an adequate replacement for him. But let's be optimistic.

Collapse -
(NT) Alright. Alright Alright...I'll do it.
by kwahhn / April 20, 2010 3:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tom's Replacement
by wizkids32 / April 20, 2010 7:47 AM PDT

I think they will be going on a host rotation when Molly went to two days.

Collapse -
Rafe is a Decent Choice
by PressAnyKey / April 20, 2010 2:25 PM PDT

The show really needs someone to keep it from running too far off the rails. Rafe was the person I considered but I'd like to hear other possibilities...

Collapse -
Certain listeners
by shmody / April 20, 2010 9:52 PM PDT

Actually...I think if Udayan, Robstak, Slikkster, Ktreb, Gknee, etc. filled in part-time that would be pretty great.

If one of the present cast doesn't take up a full-time spot, then Kent German would be good too.

Jeff Bakalar, David Katzmaier, or David Carnoy would be good to get more of an East-West mix.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
**blush** Tks
by Slikkster / April 20, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Certain listeners

Thanks for that unexpected mention, Shalin. I'm much doing critiques from the peanut gallery, however. Although it would be fun to do a "Point-Counterpoint" with minimalist, lol. Seems like that's where we always end up.

Collapse -
(NT) hahahah awesome Shalin. you rock.
by robstak / April 21, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
awww...thanks, Shalin!
by ktreb / April 30, 2010 2:43 AM PDT

I don't deserve the shoutout...I haven't been around these parts in a while. But the mention is much appreciated. :-D

Collapse -
Tom's Replacement
by AppleRose / April 21, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

A BIG loss not listening to Tom's balanced and thought provoking conversations. An intelligent and well educated person. Tom has always brought balance to Molly's rants. I enjoy listening to Molly and her razor sharp wit but Tom helps keep things - well, balanced. As much as I enjoy and look forward to every BOL episode, without Tom, I don't see myself following BOL much. The "A" team, Tom, Molly, Brian C., Jason and Brian T. ARE BOL. Take one or more out, it's not the same.

Best wishes and good luck Tom!!! I know I'm not alone when I say I look forward following you to your next venture.

Collapse -
My realistic conclusion....
by bentile / April 21, 2010 2:34 AM PDT

Well, I started listening when Molly was out on maternity leave, and I loved the banter between Veronika and Tom. I kept wondering who this "Molly" was that they kept talking about and had a hard time imagining how she could possibly improve the dynamic. When Molly came back, I saw how good the show was with the three of them. Then I was devastated when Mahalo stole Veronika away, but I kept listening and enjoying. Truth is, I will keep listening and enjoying as replacements are found, shuffled around, and eventually leave to be replaced by someone else. Will I miss Tom? Of course. Will I keep Listening and enjoying? Absolutely!

Collapse -
Ohh
by Nicholas Buenk / April 21, 2010 9:28 AM PDT

I have a similar opinion, I don't think I've ever got used to Veronica leaving. I suppose the show could still be worth listening to without Tom. If we have Molly and Rafe or Molly and Cooley.

Collapse -
Rafe v. Cooley
by MPaulGriffith / April 21, 2010 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Ohh

I'm thinking I like Rafe more than Cooley- don't get me wrong, I love Cooley, but he isn't quite as analytical as Rafe or Tom. Does anyone have suggestions outside of the CNET universe?

Collapse -
Interesting to ponder...
by robstak / April 21, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

The dynamic varies so widely with the rotating hosts... and i really like all of them for different reasons.

tom is great because he is even-keeled regardless of who else is on, with, perhaps the exception of rafe... they have a lil thing goin on that is quite enjoyable, imho.

If anything, I'd like to see MORE variety. I kind of enjoyed a couple months back when there were different ppl everyday.

hmmm, interesting to think about~

Collapse -
not so sure I agree....
by bentile / April 21, 2010 11:51 PM PDT

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think the show NEEDS an anchor. That has always been Tom. Now they need a replacement. I say, Raffe! He has a lot of similar qualities to Tom--analytical, widely knowledgeable, humorous, even-tempered and a major geek! Also, I think he would stomp all over Molly's nerves, which could be very fun to listen to! Now that you have an anchor, then bring all the variety in--now that's fun, and I think that is the most like the BOL we all know.

Collapse -
Tom is balance in many ways...
by desan / April 22, 2010 12:52 AM PDT

Tom also gives BOL a balanced view of Apple. Everyone over there is out of their minds anti Apple. Tom has a more balanced hand.

Collapse -
Your "balance" is others' "bias"...
by Slikkster / April 22, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

I think Tom is extremely deferential to Apple, no matter the story. He's much more inclined --by my perception-- to diss or otherwise dismiss Microsoft and much more inclined to support Apple or find something positive in a negative story to say about them.

That's why I think there's bias there. Hey, it's hard not to be biased in life. Everyone has opinions, including me. But you really need to go the extra mile on a show like this to be evenhanded. On many issues apart from Apple, I see that he's trying to find the "what if..." part of a story that might mitigate the negativity the story might normally generate. That's fine. It makes one consider the alternatives. But my impression --and it's just my impression-- is that he's far more likely to find that silver lining where Apple is concerned, and far less likely where Microsoft is concerned.

Collapse -
No
by Nicholas Buenk / April 22, 2010 9:45 AM PDT

He's just being an even handed counterpoint to Molly's anti-Apple biast. At least this is my perspective.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.