Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Tojans, spyware and other malware unexpectedly detected

by Haimon / May 1, 2005 4:25 AM PDT

Hello,
I?m still running an IBM 300PL Personal Computer which is doing well on Windows 98. I scan it weekly with NAV 2004 (constantly updated), SpyBot, AdAware aand Registry Mechanic.
Today, in parallel to an assignment in CNET Course ?XP Maintenance and Troubleshooting?, I have run the On-Line McAfee FreeScan on this computer too. The scan detected 3 viruses:
(1) Downloader-UZ - infecting C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ied.exe,
(2) Downloader-XJ - infecting C:\RECYCLED\Q330995.exe,
(3) AdClicker-BQ.inf - infecting C:WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\\start.inf.

To remove (1) and (3) the scan suggested running McAfee VirusScan software which I have to buy ($31.28).

Subsequently, with regard to AdClicker, I installed the free XoftSpy software (from ParetoLogic), as suggested by Google, and scanned the computer with it. It rapidly detected 21 other viral or spyware/adware/malware objects, namely:
(1-4) Save Now - minimaly threatening C:\PROGRAM FILES\VVN\ folder + 3 files in it,
(5-7) Windows Taskad - highly threatening C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS TASKAD\ folder +
2 files in it,
(8) Troj/Dloader-CC - minimaly threatening C:\WINDOWS\mstasks1.exe
(9) ISTBar - minimaly threatening C:\WINDOWS\mstasks2.exe
(10) Trojan Downloader.Win32.mediket ? threatening C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstmp.htrr
(11) IE Plugin ? threatening C:\WINDOWS\extract.exe
(12) ISTBar ? (in) a Registry Key
(13) Egroup ? (in) a Registry Key
(14-17) Windows Search Bar ? highly threatening (in) Registry Keys
(18) ? ? (in) a Registry Key
(19) A4ZetaBeta1 ? (in) a Registry value
(20-21) ?? ? (in) Registry values

However, removal by the software again depends on buying it ($39.99). All these objects appear in Google, thus are well-known. I?m just starting to remove them one by one. That might be really tedious.

Questions:
(1) How come that these objects are not recognized by the first-class, highly recommended anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-adware programs, i.e.NAV, SpyBot Search and Destroy and AdAware?
(2) Would you recommend buying and installing XoftSpy as well? Has anyone experience with removing those objects, and others, by this software?
(3) Are there websites around that carry lists of removal procedures for such objects?

Thanks in advance for any piece of answers and responses.
Haimon

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tojans, spyware and other malware unexpectedly detected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tojans, spyware and other malware unexpectedly detected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
most if not all of your malware
by dawillie / May 1, 2005 5:30 AM PDT

can be removed by you manually by scrolling to the exact loaction as indicated in your post and deleteting them.

After you have done so re- scan and note the exact locations of where the remaining files are.

then d/l and install Move on Boot.

scroll to the location and delete.

re- boot and you are clean.

as to your query as to why your AV and Spware scans did not pick up, it would be specualtion on our part to even comment.

Collapse -
noooo

Xosoft anything is a rogue product that goads you into purchasing their products by way of finding "false/negatives" see http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

ok, read further on that link provided above about the proper way to read google results, as you have not been reading the findings correct...google makes no suggestions, sponsored links are not suggestions by google, all it is is search engine that finds key words to your search and produces "hits" or results to what it thinks you are looking for. now further information on the above link, is to read his list of bad products that way you know what is legit or not, Eric Howes tests all products on that list to determine whether they are useless, ripoffs, fake, etc.... allowing you to know before attempting a download and installing something on your system that makes an already bad situation worse or rips you off of hard earned money.

now, to properly clean your system is to determine what exactly is on it, each product will find what the other does not and using them correctly with updated defininitions is a must. scanning fully and not a smart or quick scan is one way, another is scanning in safe mode (tapping f8 continuously right when the BIOS is starting on reboot) is another.

preforming online scans from housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp panda activescan http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
and bitdefender
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
is another thing to do as each one of those may find what the other does not.

lastly, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 is a good free product to try, powered by GIANT Antispyware, a former industry leader
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

NAV is a decent AV, but i would consider, once your subscription is up, going with AVG or Avast!, both are free and use less system resources as NAV

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.