PC Applications forum

General discussion

To the legion... Help Hand

by Cat5 Cane / March 17, 2008 4:24 PM PDT

Figure me a work in progress!

fairly new to understanding computers and all of the crap out on the market and hoping to get good advice from the legion core of people here that are not being paid by the sponsors!!!.

OK,OK,OK... here's the jest...I have a HP pavilion 622, w/ 2.80 GH, w 512 MB memory.
Norton is expiring soon, computer is slowing up while starting-up,searching, downloading, everything... can't even play decent videos any more... streaming problems.
D is a 12% available and cannot defrag,
C has 89 percent available but tried to defrag and it froze up or realllly slow.
I assume I have allot of unwanted crap... in my regestry that's hidden and maybe else where.
Having to restart often just to spead up surfing.
Note have been cleaning history and files every couple of days. What else can I do?

Recently unemployed and don't have allot of money to spend, but need my computer running so looking for best stuff that is available for free but don't want to get stuck with downloaded crap that I can't remove with out a tank. Any suggestions from the legion is appreciated... figure I need everything to get rid of the crabs and viruses holding me back!!!
Thanks to all!...

HELP
Ron

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To the legion... Help Hand
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To the legion... Help Hand
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not too many can be dobe for free
by Noizxland / March 17, 2008 7:52 PM PDT

There is gpart partitioning quite good for free utility (u could resize your partitions C and D).

And my free knoweledge base ends here.

Free antiviruses/spywares/sharewares usually find, but do not delete/remove/treat.

So i guess you'll have to spend a little.

Collapse -
Over in our Spyware Forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2008 9:57 PM PDT

Are all the free scans, tools, AV, firewalls we (moderators and many members) use. Why not go there and pick what you like for free?

Good hunting.
Bob

Collapse -
Got the Crabs
by Cat5 Cane / March 17, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

by Noizxland -
There is gpart partitioning quite good for free utility (u could resize your partitions C and D).
Free antiviruses/spywares/sharewares usually find, but do not delete/remove/treat.

by R. Proffitt
Are all the free scans, tools, AV, firewalls we (moderators and many members) use. Why not go there and pick what you like for free?
Good hunting.
Bob

Note.. thanks for the return reply...
Was able to defrag "D" after 15 trys with 2 files I counld not move. Start-up appears alittle faster but opening up INT or CNET for emample takes forever... is still slow.

Norton is still active ...run virus check ... finds no problems!!

Need some serious help to enjoy space...
Thanks Ron

Collapse -
I guess you need some diagnostick software
by Noizxland / March 18, 2008 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Got the Crabs
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.