Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

to many programs open at once after gaming

by mrfixit1 / July 5, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

after playing hunting unlimited 4 when i exit to desktop and double click a icon approximatley 6 to 8 of the surrounding the icon i need opens the programs so basically when i go to open one program around 8 of them open all at once on top of one another the only i can get rid of this is shut down and reboot any ideas
xp home-xp2500-2 gigs of pc3200 ram-ati x700 video card

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to many programs open at once after gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to many programs open at once after gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by nerdyboy1234 / July 5, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

probably some kind of error attributed to the game, just restart after u play ea time

Collapse -
Try clicking any empty space on the desktop first.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

Sounds like these icons are being grouped together, like if you drag a rectangle over a group of desktop icons.

Test it. Exit out of the game, then hold your mouse over one of the icons. Do more than one highlight?

If so, click anywhere empty on the desktop first, then try double clicking one.

Mark

Collapse -
to many programs open at once after gaming
by badlungs / July 24, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

I have the same problem with same game! I did right click on desktop,and double clicked an icon----they all opened. When I click restart nothing happens. I have to turn off machine and start it back up. By the way I have eMachine T 6410 windows xp gig 1/2 ram sp2 ati x1050 video card. By the way, this was doing this even before I put the video card in. Thanks 4 any help.

Collapse -
If its the same game
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 24, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

then it sounds as if the game itself is faulty.

Just one thing though. I didn't say "right click" any empty part of the desktop, just click, (left click), any empty part. Possibly not important, but you never know.

What happens if, when you end the game, you goto Start > All programs and click, say, My Documents, or My Computer? Does the same thing happen?

Mark

Collapse -
If its the same game
by badlungs / July 24, 2007 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: If its the same game

Yes. Doesn't matter what I click on. I just remembered something, a few weeks ago something changed my kernel32 .dll. AVG got rid of something, but don't remember what. I may reformat tonight. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
In that case.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: If its the same game

try restoring the System files with sfc /scannow at the Run command, (Start > Run). This will start the System File Checker. Have your XP CD handy, just in case.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by badlungs / July 25, 2007 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case.....

Didn't work. I'm just going to reformat now, so thanks Mark for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.