Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

TO INSTALL OR NOT TO INSTALL IE9

by imgrateful_1 / March 17, 2011 11:30 PM PDT

I came this morning after the big news of IE 9 release after the test version. I understand was out earlier, before the 3/17 official release date. I was hoping to find positive feed back on my question. The online bank issue would definitely be a problem for me since I partake of that conveience with my own local bank. I subscribe to kim Komando and she speaks highly of the new IE9 and suggests installing right away. So many good features added which makes it very competive with Fox and all the others. Especially security. Next question before I finish. Can I install over 8? Of course when the time comes and i decide to make the jump. Thanks. CNET is really a great online source for help in so many areas. We all need to be grateful to people who give their time unselfishly. imgrateful_1

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TO INSTALL OR NOT TO INSTALL IE9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TO INSTALL OR NOT TO INSTALL IE9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My own view would be to wait.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2011 11:39 PM PDT

I would wait until it is offered as a Windows Update. Why? I'm a coward. Let others find the problems, (if any), and give Microsoft time to address these, Devil

When installed it will automatically replace IE8.

The banking issue may not be an issue after all, see this forum's Sticky post for more information here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6620_102-520814.html

However, if this issue is real, then it may not be addressed before it is offered to you via WU, so I would be prepared and download and install some other browser before going with IE9. That way you always have a backup browser to use for these important security required banking sites.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
the answer to IE9 question.
by imgrateful_1 / March 17, 2011 11:44 PM PDT

Thanks Mark. I think I will wait for a bit. thats a good plan to wait for a formal invitation to up date from Microsofst.

Collapse -
No problems so far.
by mopscare42 / March 18, 2011 1:19 AM PDT

I installed IE9 RC last month and had problems with the video. I removed it to wait and see.
Installed it again a couple days ago on Windows 7 laptop and the problems I had before were gone and it works great.
I installed it on my Windows Vista desktop computer yesterday with the same results. I can't find any problems with it so far on either computer.
I see some are having problems getting into their bank. I haven't come across that and can get into my bank and credit union without any problems.
Beings it's the final release I would think it would be a Windows update very soon if not already out.
IE9 is faster than Firefox and the layout is better than any previous version, although it takes a little getting used to like anything new.
Microsoft is saying it is much more secure than the previous IE's, that I will have to wait and see.
Overall I like it a lot, but am still playing around with it to see if I can find any quirks with it.
I also keep Firefox on both computers just in case, but until a problem shows up, I will be using IE9.

Collapse -
Might help
by radean / March 18, 2011 2:28 AM PDT

Had trouble with my bank also. Did not recognize the browser and wanted me to upgrade to a later version.
I used Tools, Compatibility View Settings, and added the url of the bank. No more problems.

Collapse -
Meh.
by always_smiling / March 18, 2011 10:20 AM PDT

I installed IE9 the other day, just to give it a chance. Although there are big improvements over IE8, I still find Google Chrome faster and easier to use, as well as more aesthetically pleasing (but that may just be me).

Collapse -
Not if you run a 64-bit operating system and watch videos
by jfalsken / March 18, 2011 12:26 PM PDT

I have a windows 7 64-bit and after installing IE 9 64-bit not a single video could play and I kept getting sent to a site telling me to install the lastest flash player. Well there is no 64-bit flash player avaiable and to further add fuel to the fire. The 32-bit IE9 will not install on a 64-bit operating system. The install does keep your old IE and you have to follow a procedure to restore your old IE and remove the IE9. If you are running a 32-bit version of either vista or windows 7 you shouldn't experience any problems. Adobe is months away from developing a 64-bit flash player. Given those facts I wouldn't install IE9 on any 64-bit operating system. Once again Microsoft forces users into the role of beta tester without any benefits or paychecks, small wonder the guys across the street are winning the game. One would expect they would have discovered IE9's shortcomings in the beta and had solutions in place to over-come the problems. There is currently no way to install IE9 32-bit on a 64-bit operating system, that is a big drawback and should have been addressed from the beginning. So should have the lack of a 64-bit flash player and the inability to play simple videos in a 64-bit IE9. I say do not bother installing IE9 until the problems are addressed and a flash player that can run in a 64-bit platform is developed.

Collapse -
my question on IE9
by imgrateful_1 / March 18, 2011 12:49 PM PDT

Thank you jfaisken. I'm definitely glad to see your reply post. I have WIN Home Prem. 64 bit P960 qhad-cor. Toshiba. so it sounds like Microsoft has work to do on their IE9. I never did update to 8 when I still had my XP. So I only know about IE8 since getting my new laptop in February. I'll keep watching. Maybe someone will clue those people ? Ya think? Thanks again for your reply.

Collapse -
Flash
by msgale / March 18, 2011 2:29 PM PDT

There IS a 64 bit version of Flash. I know for sure since I am running IE9 64 bit with it on one PC. Having said that, I would stay with IE9 32 bit, because of other plug in problems. When you download IE9 64 bit from Microsoft you get both the 32 and 64 bit versions, with the 32 bit version set as default..

Collapse -
that is it bloat up the harddrive with two versions
by jfalsken / March 19, 2011 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash

So people are left to discover that both 32- and 64-bit are installed. Why isn't there some documentation on the download page advising users video will not run in the 64-bit version and to find the 32-bit hiding on your hardrive. Create a desktop icon to launch that version instead of the docked icon. I bought a 64-bit system and what good is it if no programs can take advantage of all the system has, which is the multi-cores. No where does Microsoft state; I have to remove the latest version of flash player and reinstall it after installing IE9 64-bit. There is no warning that I must install a beta flash player to run IE9 64-bit. That makes me a beta tester without pay or benefits and I have to find out for myself the problems they created. Those are the facts and why should I have to fix your short-comings. I have removed IE 9 from all my systems and until flash player is out of beta, it will not go back on. From my view point Microsoft hasn't done their homework and this is a major bug for IE 9. Even sliverlight will not run in Ie9. Because you have to remove silverlight 4.0 and replace it with silverlight 3.0 and Microsoft failed to inform it's users. It always why you want it never about what costs or known problems are present. From the beginning days of DOS microsoft has done this and that gave birth to the guys across the street and microsoft is flawed for marketing beta programs instead of full working products.

Collapse -
Then just use the 32 bit version of IE9.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2011 9:56 PM PDT

Most others are.

Mark

Collapse -
IE9 32 AND 64 BIT
by steve19150 / March 20, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

IE 9 is set up just like IE 8 on your 64-bit Windows 7 system. Your system came with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE 8 with IE 8 32-bit set up as the default. The IE 9 download continues this same setup. Microsoft has to include both versions due to the lag that Adobe has had in getting a 64-bit version of Flash player out.

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2011 10:15 PM PDT

As I understand it, downloading and installing IE9 for a 64 bit Windows 7 system, (or 64 bit Vista for that matter), will automatically install the 32 bit IE9 as well.

The Start menu should show IE9 and IE9 (64 bit). If not, the Program files folder (Program files (x86) ) will have a folder for the 32 bit version of IE9 (Internet Explorer), and it is easy to create a shortcut for that 32 bit "iexplore.exe" onto your Desktop and/or Start menu.

I don't see this as a problem.

Mark

Collapse -
However, don't actually RUN the 64 bit version.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 19, 2011 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange

It's inferior to the 32 bit version. It's much slower. It's only there because it had to be there due to some Microsoft policy saying it should be there.

The 64 bit version uses the OLD Javascript engine. The 32 bit version uses the NEW Javascript version. The difference is a factor 4.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/ie9-vs-chrome-10-vs-firefox-4-rc-vs-opera-1101-vs-safari-5-the-big-browser-benchmark/11890 gives the figures.

As an added advantage, this solves the incompatibility problems with add-ons.

Kees

Collapse -
flash 64
by pcpundit / March 18, 2011 10:42 PM PDT

There is a FLASHPLAYER-SQUARE, which is 64 bit and works for me.
Tnx.

Collapse -
Both have 64 bit.
by mopscare42 / March 19, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

I had the same video problem with the RC version.
I removed it and waited a month for the final release and have no problems at all.
My laptop is Windows 7 64 bit and my desktop is Vista 64 bit, they are both working fine and the video problem is gone.
My son's computer is also Windows 7 64 bit and he has no problem with IE9.
We both downloaded from the Microsoft site and it asks if you want 32 or 64 bit version.
We chose the 64 bit and everything went fine.
I am sure there will be problems popping up for awhile, but now 64 bit doesn't seem to be one of them in our case.

Collapse -
IE9 ISSUE
by imgrateful_1 / March 19, 2011 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Both have 64 bit.

Thanks mopscare42. I have been following all the posts from my orginal question for installing 9. Its always good to wait. After reading your post, it doesn't sound like you have having problems. very encouraging. I'll take it slow. In my case, our other computer is VISTA 32 bit. my computer is WIN 7 64 bit. on a Toshiba laptop.

Collapse -
Same brand
by mopscare42 / March 19, 2011 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: IE9 ISSUE

My laptop is also a Toshiba with Windows 7 64 bit.
It's a Satellite A505-S6005.
If you download IE9 and decide you don't like it, it's easy to delete and you will still have IE8.
The thing I find strange is that it installs IE9 as a update.
Maybe it has been doing that for awhile, but I don't remember anything like that before.

Collapse -
Windows Vista with IE9
by linda92359 / March 24, 2011 10:56 AM PDT

I am running Windows Mail with Windows Vista 32 bit, and it's been running fine. I am not sure if it's related or not, but I installed IE9 on my laptop a few days back, and I noticed right away that the message area info bar with the TO, FROM, Attachment Paperclip, and 'Click here to see images" is now messed up. The paperclip does not show if an email has an attachment, and the bar that allows you to click if you want to see the images in an email does not show up. I need the paperclip to work because I depend on attachments every day with my excel files that I use.

So, if anyone knows how to fix this problem please let me know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.