Laptops forum

General discussion

To Apple or not to Apple?

by gregw1974 / February 13, 2007 2:53 AM PST

I love the way the new apple mac book pros look. But they are very costly. I love the mac os system and how smooth it runs. Does anyone out there run the new mac book pro 17" with the new itel 2 duo chip? and do you have any trouble playing games such as Americas Army?

Any feed back would be great!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To Apple or not to Apple?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To Apple or not to Apple?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about those other PC costs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 3:47 AM PST

Firewall, antivirus, support calls, reloading the OS, etc?

You may be looking at the short term cost and not the rest of the time and money you spend keeping your PC running Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
Beware
by Igiveup2 / February 13, 2007 5:49 AM PST
http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/

These kinds of problems are why I am abandoning Mac. Too bad, that elegant OS is tied to such rotten hardware. That's the truly costly part of owning a Mac.
Collapse -
No one I knows has this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Beware

But then again they bought AppleCare and returned to get such fixed.

Sadly there must be some that won't take their machines in. I (again it's a cruel world) know someone that bought their machine from a guy selling out of his trunk. The person is afraid their laptop was stolen and won't chance taking it into an Apple repair shop.

No hope for him.

Bob

Collapse -
They've been taking them in, sure enough.........
by Igiveup2 / February 13, 2007 9:53 AM PST

and not getting their problems fixed (or getting new problems). Let's not impugn these fine folks who have found themselves in a difficult situation! BTW, I've found your advice on other threads useful. Thanks.

Collapse -
Random Shutdown?
by KerryA / February 15, 2007 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Beware

I've had my MacBook since August of last year. It has yet to "random" shutdown. I've no doubt that there were problems with the first version of the MacBooks but anyone who is an early adopter of ANY product should know that.

Collapse -
All of those are free for PC users.
by Cyborganizer / February 13, 2007 10:51 AM PST

I use Zone Alarm's free firewall. AVG free edition anti-virus and several free spyware scanners. I never needed to reload my operating system and I have had bad experiences with all tech and customer support. The memory of Verizon's DSL tech support still haunts me.

Collapse -
(NT) what tech support?
by tcardone05 / February 13, 2007 10:53 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Dell and Verizon took more than a month to fix the problem.
by Cyborganizer / February 13, 2007 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: what tech support?
Collapse -
I am asking the same question
by gkendrick / February 15, 2007 8:20 PM PST

I, also, am considering a switch to the Mac Book Pro only the smaller screen. One thing about it though. With parallels you can run both at the same time, Windows & Apple. As for the shutdown problem that is and was addressed by Apple. They have had problems but the newer ones I haven't heard as having the problem. Remember if you need a medem I believe you have to purchase an external one from apple for about $50.00 but I am personally waiting for OS X Leopard before I pounce and I expect there may be more MacBook improvements on the way.

Collapse -
MacBook's and MacBook Pro's
by URTido / February 15, 2007 10:56 PM PST

Despite problems people are quick to point out with Apple, I feel as though they are not as big as people claim. There was the whole random shut down problem, which turned out to be due to a protective mechanism built into the computer that was designed to shut it off if the computer became too hot. Once they figured out what the problem was they fixed it.

A big advantage I have found is the Apple Stores in many major cities. If you have a problem with your Mac you can make an appointment and take your computer to the store to have someone take a look at your problem instead of calling tech support and trying to explain the problem to someone from India.

As for MacBook Pro improvements, rumor has it that Apple is switching to LED lit LCD displays; this means better battery life for laptops since LED's use less energy and last longer than the current cathode ray lights used (not to be confused with CRT monitors). If you don't need a new computer at this moment, I would be inclined to wait a few months because Tiger will be released sometime this spring as well as a refresh of the current MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. Also, the current beta version of Parallel's desktop has an option to let you boot a Boot Camp version of Windows XP as a virtual machine; Boot Camp lets you run windows as your native OS, so you can get the same performance on games and so forth as you would with a dedicated Windows machine. The only downside is that you need to buy a full version of Windows XP, not just an upgrade copy. I have bootcamp and parallels running on my machine, but I rarely find myself using either because most of the day to day stuff I do on my computer is done with OSX programs.

Lastly, if you start doing a price comparison of what you get with a new MacBook or MacBook Pro, you'll find that they're competatively priced in comparison to the equivalent PC (note that this therefore eliminates the $500 laptops that skimp on new technology).

In any case, happy computer shopping. New hardware is always nice and shinny.

Collapse -
Interesting discussion of manufacturers down this thread.
by Igiveup2 / February 15, 2007 11:46 PM PST
Collapse -
I am starting to like MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
by Cyborganizer / February 15, 2007 11:48 PM PST

They are not as expensive as I once thought. The only big issue with them is their lack of options. If someone like me does not take pictures, write my own music or make web pages; why does Apple still include this software in the price? If the software is optional, the price is cheaper if I do not need it. Why does Apple not let me choose the 15.4" laptop with a 1.66 GHz processor, 60 GB hard drive and 256 MB video card? I often choose laptops that have miniscule hard drives and huge resolution sizes. For example Dell offers monitors that give resolutions as high as 1680 x 1050 pixels on their 15.4" laptops. I know this option is not for everyone, but I am willing to spend $150-$200 more for this feature. In my early reviews I hated Apple laptops because I thought they were over priced. They are not overpriced, but their lack of options makes it more expensive if someone prefers different configurations.

Collapse -
Windows is still the better choice
by Spywell / February 16, 2007 12:18 PM PST

I work in video web graphics etc. I use both windows and Macs. I have a windows laptop and a new macbook with os x. So far I have had the mac in for repair four times and havn't owned it for 10 months yet. I also use the new macs that boot xp and os x and it's not as handy as it seems. The windows on the mac is only 80% windows. From my experience Apple will cost you a fortune in the long run regardless of how you figure it. I am also a A+ PC technitian in Kansas where there is ABSOLUTELY no apple care stores anywhere. And the only apple tech I know of works for CompUSA. Thats right there is only 1 person in Kansas that will fix your crapple. Also the apples seem to break down very easily. And if you use flash drives free yourself from apple its all shortcuts. so annoying. When you buy an apple you only have limited things you can buy. You have to use either an apple processor or an intel processor that would ONLY benifit you if you used the new programs like Adobe photoshop etc. If your program isn't made to support the duo core intels then really your just getting a 1.66 ghz processor. There is a very limited selection of games on the apple and none will take full advantage of duo core. Everything apple is tied to cheap hardware that you CANNOT upgrade. Now you want a laptop, and most are generic and there is no room for upgrades but if you want to do any gaming go with windows period. Windows can do EVERYTHING apple can do and so much more. Besides the newest macs have problems and I seem to see the gay circle of death often on the macs at work.

Preston

Collapse -
Unjust prejudices
by studiousstud / February 20, 2007 2:57 PM PST

I don't understand the terrible prejudice everyone has against Macs. "They randomly shut down - they suck!" Every computer manufacturer has had problems with some line at one point or another. Case in point - Dell batteries. I've officially switched to Apple OS X from Windows Vista. I've been running the latest candidate of Vista for some time on my iMac using Boot Camp, and I can honestly say that I now definitely prefer OS X over Vista. With regards to spywell's comment above, I've never heard of Macs breaking down "very easily". As a matter of fact, Macs are known for their reliabilty and ease of use. And while there may not be unlimited customization options for a new mac, it's not the end of the world. When you buy a mac system it is designed in such a way as to be well rounded, and perform well in almost any task. Therefore you won't find a mac with a rediculously slow 1.66ghz processor (unless you go Mac mini) because that's just unnecessairly low. While replacing Apple's hardware is sometimes not easy, it is certainly not impossible, and numerous tutorials can be found online. The upgrades will work fine as long as they are certfied by Apple. With regards to gaming, yes, it is true that there are limited amounts of titles out for macs, but that is changing. With the move to intel processors Macs are now capable of easily keeping up with PC's in the gaming world, and more games are being ported for OS X. To rebutt the final comment, a Windows machine cannot do everything that a mac can, whereas a mac can do everything that a windows machine can. You can't (despite ongoing attempts, search the web for hackintosh) install OS X onto a windows machine and get it to run at native speed. But you can install Windows onto a Mac, and get it to run perfectly native. That was the real reason I ended up getting a Mac, because they can do both. Originally when I bought my mac I was planning on running Windows most of the time, but OS X grew on me to the point where I have offically switched, and now denounce windows as an inefficient and unfriendly operating system.

P.S. "Gay circle of death" ... I have no idea what he's talking about...

Collapse -
I like 1.60-1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo Processors.
by Cyborganizer / February 21, 2007 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Unjust prejudices

Apple does make good laptops, but they throw in unnecessary upgrades I do not need. I do not want to pay for the 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo processor if I can get the 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor. I also do not need the extra software that Apple includes in the price. For what I need, companies like Dell and HP are significantly cheaper than Apple. Apple simply does not offer what I need in a laptop. I want a 14-15" laptop that weighs less than 5 pounds. I want a 256 MB video card with a monitor that has at least 1440x900 resolution in a 14" laptop or 1920x1200 in a 15" laptop. I type too many papers for those little monitors that do not have enough resolution. I want it to be wireless with 802.11 a/b/g computability. I need at least 2GB of ram and long battery life is a plus. I need all of this for about $1500. Even though I like Apple, they do not have a laptop that offers these features for $1500.

Collapse -
Not exactly the answer you're seeking, but ...
by treerod1 / February 16, 2007 1:21 PM PST

About three weeks ago I aquired 5 of the 17" MacBook Pro laptops for a client ... all are engineers, or engineers want to be's. They did bump-up their laptops with the 200 GB HD and 3 GB RAM, heck it was their money.

Tip> If you happen to get the 17" MacBook Pro, order it with the "Glossy Widescreen Display" - no extra cost.

Anyway, in place of playing games, how about this - for the past week these guys ran their laptop through it's paces, running their CAD and engineering programs, and their live interactive GIS mapping system. What I've heard back is that everything worked great and they love the new glossy widescreen display.

But what was really funny was they couldn't stop talking about the magnetic power cord. I bet I could have sold them just the cord for the same price as the laptop Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.