The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

TIVO and Watch one program, record on another channel

by jsd032971 / November 26, 2005 6:14 AM PST

My wife wants to buy her mom and Tivo...any of these DVRs allow you to record one channel while watching another channel? This would be cable and not dish. Thanks for any suggestions. JD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TIVO and Watch one program, record on another channel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TIVO and Watch one program, record on another channel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i can't belive nobody replied to this
by mwinship / December 6, 2005 6:43 AM PST

The answer is yes and no; the stand alone tivo units have one tuner so you can only watch or record one thing at a time. But there is no reason you can't split the cable and go to the tivo and the tv. this may be too complicated for mom to be switching inputs but it gets the job done.

Collapse -
two tuners?
by earlysound / December 6, 2005 6:47 AM PST

Isn't it true if you have two tuners that you can do that?? For me, it seems like that's one of the main reasons why I'd want a TiVo... to watch something while not missing something on a different channel (and, obviously, watch something that was one while I was out)

so confusing.

Collapse -
you'd think
by mwinship / December 7, 2005 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: two tuners?

People have been screaming about two tuners for quite a while so you'd think that they would have included it by now but Tivo is a strange bird. They advertise all the network features, but they don't have ethernet build in, you need a USB adapter.

Simple solution; two tivos, thats what I do. Anyway Tivo changes your viewing habits, you don't end up watching much live. Everything I watch "live" has at least a 20 minute head start so I can fast forward through the commercials.

Collapse -
plans for the future
by dstanfor / December 7, 2005 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: two tuners?

My understanding (from the tivo community forum) is that the plan is for there to be 2 tuners in the Tivo coming out next summer that can also record HD.

Collapse -
by jsd032971 / December 6, 2005 10:29 AM PST

I appreciate the reply. Went to CompUSA and one of the guys told me how to do it. Didn't seem that difficult, she'll just have to switch from Video 1 to Video 2. I know what I'm gonna be doing on Christmas Day now. Thanks.

Collapse -
By the way...
by jsd032971 / December 6, 2005 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Doesn't seem to difficult for TIVO to throw a second tuner in that box...or is it just me wishful thinking. I thought there was a dual tuner tivo-like dvr for the dish network.

Collapse -
by mwinship / December 6, 2005 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: By the way...

The DirecTV model of tivo has two tuners, but not the stand alone boxes.

Collapse -
by mwinship / December 7, 2005 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

It isn't that complicated to switch between video one and video 2, but for some it's troubling. I bought my mother one a couple of years back; the tivo interface she could handle, but flipping inputs on the tv and using two remotes blew her mind.

Now I'm the proud owner of two Tivo's.

Collapse -
here's how:
by dstanfor / December 7, 2005 1:56 AM PST

1st, when you have a TIVO, ussually you'll be watching stuff you have recorded, not live stuff.

2nd, in the rare case where there's 2 shows on at the same time that you want to watch both, you could have never done that with your TV before.

3rd, There are a couple ways to do it. The splitter method mentioned is one, as is putting the TIVO in standby mode.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.