Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Tips? Programming languages, were to start?

by digger4400 / May 17, 2012 2:46 PM PDT

Okay I know some basic HTML and CSS coding from my high school's Information Technologies class, but it's obviously dealing mainly with web and design. I wish to learn some coding for making my own programs preferable a few simple ideas that I've had that could act as plug-ins to Google Chrome or as task bar system tray icons to give me various alerts. (E.G. one of them is a small E-mail checker to let me know when I've received an email that will change the icon and perhaps make a small sound.) Would anyone have any recommendations as to what and where to start on this intellectual endeavor. I figured this might be a good place to start leave your reconciliations below.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips? Programming languages, were to start?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips? Programming languages, were to start?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Start by doing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2012 7:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tips? Programming languages, were to start?
by ShadowGurl79 / June 4, 2012 10:22 AM PDT

I found the Head First books to be both fun and easy to learn. The first language I would start with would probably be C#. And then from there move into learning PHP & MySQL. Gradually read the books and follow along completing the projects as they are discussed. Do searches for tutorials on those topics that you don't quite understand. And never stop learning...

Here's the link: Head First C#

Web Developer/Designer

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums on 06/05/2012 at 9:24 AM PT

Collapse -
After seeing a HeadFirst book.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

I promptly decided I would not buy any from that line. Be sure to peek inside before you buy a copy. I found the books to be OK but very odd in presentation. Maybe the word is quirky.

Collapse -
Microsoft C++
by xweque / June 14, 2012 10:47 PM PDT

Hi! If you want to make programs you might want to look up what Microsoft can provide. Left a few links below. C++ might not be a good place to start. I'd suggest that you try to learn some script languages like JavaScript, unless you done so. They are easier and you can still create a few nice stuff with it. After you can get a host and start out more advanced with server scripts like PHP. Then I think you should get into programming. But if you feel like your ready now...

Collapse -
How to become expert in programminn
by cursorsystem / August 4, 2012 10:53 PM PDT

I am an experienced programmer as well as trainer. i have produced at least 15 experienced programmer. These are the steps I always tell them to take to become best programmer

1. They should go to good IT center where they have good and experienced programmer as a trainer. This will make them to get more code and real life method of coding from the trainer

2. They should start to do little project on their own, even if the code they know can not achieve every part of the project. This will make them to search and ask for more code from the trainer

3. They should read lot of programming language books and practice every code available in it

4. They should search for more code from the internet and develop the skill of how to modify online code. to their use

All these steps have been tested and work

Collapse -
Scripting languages are your friend
by kjmagnusson / September 20, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

Hi there. I'm a programming writer who has been around the software industry for a bit and am kind of a language ****.

What I've noticed is that programming languages have become more and more abstract as computing power has become so cheap, modern operating systems now provide application developers powerful frameworks, and . . . browsers, servers, servlets, and even databases can be scripted. Scripting is so very, very friendly to the new programmer, because typically you get instant results when you modify your script when testing, you don't need a bunch of tools, libraries, source control, etc.

What I would do if I was just starting out is to start coding plain-old JavaScript scripts that control how stuff on the Web page works and does what you want it to do, when you want it done. That way, you don't need books, classes, gurus, etc.--there is enough free material on the Web that a reasonably bright new programmer can get a very good idea of how JavaScript works and what things to pay attention to in order to be a good JavaScript programmer.

From there you can go all kinds of directions, but PHP5 seems like a pretty good direction for much the same reasons associated with JavaScript. And you get to talk to the Web server at a deeper level and learn about HTTP and maybe databases. There are a lot (a LOT) of other languages that are pretty cool and make certain programming tasks easier than with other languages, but I would skip those until you learned Java, after which you are awarded a prize and the IT department of the Internet company where you work at this point gives you a much more expensive and powerful computer in honor of your newfound expertise with programming languages.

I think you'll have a blast, honestly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.