Deals forum

General discussion

Tips on filling out Rebate forms

by Ed Mead Forum moderator / March 24, 2009 11:34 AM PDT

I have always gotten all my rebates without problems. I always follow what is specified on the rebate form. Some tips on filling out rebate forms.

1 - Always write legible your name, address, ect.
2 - Always follow directions on what is needed, invoice (original or copy), upc, postmark time frame.
3 - Fill out the envelope just as shown on the rebate form.
4 - Make copies of everything. I have even asked the post office to hand stamp post mark with date and taken a picture of the envelope with my cell phone. A little extreme, but.
5 - Keep track of your rebate status on line.
6 - Some rebate centers also want you to first register on line, then send in the form. Do as asked.

If you follow directions, send your rebate form out prompt and follow it's progress on line, you should not have a problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips on filling out Rebate forms
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips on filling out Rebate forms
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few bad apples spoil the barrel.
by knightd10 / March 27, 2009 3:07 PM PDT

I am batting about 50/50 on Rebates. I am convinced they are a scam.
I follow all instructions to a T. And 3 months later I get a letter telling me I didn`t include something. When I know for a fact that I did. This happens too often for it to be a fluke. I`m convinced that these companies have a set percentage that they are gonna reject. No matter what. Its one thing to be cheated out of a $5 or $10 rebate. But I have been cheated out of $60 rebates. As you can tell, I`m still steamed about it.
Your advice is good ... MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND IN! Even then, you are still at their mercy. Good luck.

Collapse -
If all else fails, call the rebate fulfilment center or
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / March 28, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

the products company service center. I have and got it ok'ed that way.

Collapse -
by jt tabencki / March 30, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

If you made your copies of everything and call the Customer Service Center, you can usually get your rebate.
It's all about reading the find print.

Collapse -
Yes, rebates are a bit of a scam...
by sjulty / April 10, 2009 12:46 PM PDT

I read somewhere that approximately less than 1/2 of 1% of all rebate offers actually get redeemed. The reason being for many people, it's often too difficult... you need to clip the UPC (bar codes)for most, others require you to highlight the purchase on your sales receipt and the biggest obstacle of all to me is those tiny little boxes on the forms that you are required to legibly fill out. All of the advice that's been offered up thus far is all correct: carefully follow all instructions, leaving nothing out, fill out the forms with as much precision as possible, make a copy of your completed rebate form along with any required UPC's and/ or box tops, etc and if at all possible, keep track of your rebates via the fulfillment company's website (if offered)

Collapse -
Betting on customer laziness
by website copywriter / July 6, 2009 4:41 PM PDT

If you think about it, Retailers win TWICE with Rebates

1) There's more people buying because the buzz generated by the "50% off" deal gets people's attention

2) The cost they would have incurred if they just discounted the items is significantly reduced because of the following:

As noted above, NOT ALL rebate buyers bother to mail in the rebate
The added interest income for money budgeted for rebate piles up since most rebate programs ask for a week or more for "processing"

Everyone wins... almost. Retailer wins big. Manufacturer/distributer wins by clearing out inventory. The consumer who has time to mess with rebates wins big. Other consumers... well, you know the story.

<b><a href="">Website Copywriting</a></b>

Collapse -
1/2 of 1%??
by agent511 / November 13, 2009 10:19 AM PST

You are write that many rebates do not get redeemed. But 1/2 of 1% is crazy. It is more like 1/2 period.

Collapse -
Rebate Scams
by 01SteveK / July 10, 2009 8:11 PM PDT

SCAMS!!! Nothing but SCAMS! I refuse to deal with any business that offers rebates. The higher the rebate amount, the less likely you will ever see it unless you want the HASSLE of fighting with the rebate people. This is a business that really needs some regulation. And the business's that use rebates should have learned by now how aggravating it is for their customers.

Collapse -
Use a pencil or ball point pen
by Dango517 / April 10, 2009 7:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tips on filling out Rebate forms
by opinionated1opinionated1 / September 29, 2009 3:22 PM PDT

I must have huge return from my rebate! After reading you post, i realized i haven't do the exact filling out of forms....Thanks for the info..

Collapse -
by dude_fug / October 4, 2009 10:39 PM PDT

thank for letting us know the tips for rebate i never use to care about this lol.

Collapse -
I always get mine
by volvogirl / July 23, 2010 6:05 AM PDT

I do so many I had to make an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of them. One thing I sometimes do is use a return address sticker instead of filling in the boxes. You probably all get them in the mail. I have a big stack of them I've gotten with advertising. Like a whole sheet from the cancer society at Christmas time, etc. I cut off the picture and the sticker is small enough to stick on top of the boxes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.