Car Tech forum

General discussion

Timing chain problem with Nissan sentra

by cool_guycnet / June 13, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

I gave my '97 Nissan sentra (113 k miles) to a mechanic to get the Timing chain kit replaced. He initially bought a kit that is designed for 1995 - '99 Nissan sentras. But, quoting that it is not fitting, he replaced that with another kit. I researched a little and was shocked that it was listed under the parts needed for 1991 - 1994 Nissan sentra. (The parts that I am buying are not NISSAN parts and I bought this car from a dealer @ 83 k miles)

My question is:

1) Can the parts listed under 1994 engine parts fit for my car ('97)?

Or

2) Was my engine changed and a '94 model engine installed even before I bought the car?

I would appreciate any answer.

2)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Timing chain problem with Nissan sentra
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Timing chain problem with Nissan sentra
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dealers
by Ryan T / June 13, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

I highly doubt they would have swapped your whole engine at a dealer. Car dealers don't go to a lot of trouble to fix cars on their lots. They patch them up if they can, and auction them if they can't. Now, I would run a carfax report on your car to see if it was ever in a major accident.

If your car was in an accident, it is often feasible to replace the engine if you have front end damage. It generally costs about $1500-2200 if you get it done shady.

The engine in the 94 and the 97 was the same 1.6l I-4. If someone was inclined, they could have swapped engines.

Another (cheaper) way to check this is to find someone else that has a 97 Sentra and ask to look under his hood. If your engine looks different (the plastics and badging), then your suspicions are confirmed.

Collapse -
Pic of a 94 engine
by Ryan T / June 13, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

This still may not prove you have a 94 engine but it's good for reference.

Collapse -
Thanks Ryan
by cool_guycnet / June 14, 2005 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Pic of a 94 engine

I think the answer that '94 engine and '97 engines are the same helps a lot. I will surely look and compare mine with someone else's. Have to find a car of similar model !

Collapse -
No problem
by Ryan T / June 14, 2005 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Ryan

You know in modern cars, the odometer is often a part of the engine so integrally, that the mileage is actual mileage of the engine, so I'd say you can trust that whether your engine is 8 or 11 years old, it's got the mileage on it that you see on the odometer.

I'm not sure about engine replacements, but when you replace an odometer, the background of the numbers is red (you can't buy a white-faced odometer), that's how you know it's been replaced.

If you have a digital odometer, then the evidence is even more strong that the mileage is accurate, even if the engine has been replaced.

Collapse -
Cam sensor problem!
by cool_guycnet / June 16, 2005 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

Ryan:

This mechanic is wrecking me. The noise that was supposed to be because of the defective Timing chain gear is not lost completely though I'd say my cars engine sound improved. Now, the mechanic says the cam sensor/ Intake camshaft gear/ cam shaft is also defective and needs to be replaced. Additional $ 500!! My car is Nissan sentra '97.

How do we know the cam sensor needs to be changed? Any correct way to know?

Collapse -
Cam Sensor
by Ryan T / June 16, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Cam sensor problem!

The cam sensor is a little magnetic sensor (like on an exercise machine) that tells the onboard computer every time the camshaft comes around. This timing information is important, and if the cam gear is starting to go, the cam sensor will alert the computer.

Now, remember, the cam gear is one of two gears that the timing chain runs on. So if your chain was worn out, then your gears could be wearing too.

At that mileage, it doesn't surprise me terribly. $500 seems pretty cheap to replace the Cam gear, the camshaft (which probably comes as a package with the cam gear, which is why he wants to replace it too), and the sensor. . . . it seems reasonable.

All these problems (except the oil thing, that's wierd) are related. And some noise from the engine is to be expected at this mileage, because it's a timing CHAIN not a belt. Nissan swears by the timing chain over the belt, because it's supposedly more durable, and in most cases it is. However, it is noisier.

Collapse -
U guys r great!
by athena007 / June 20, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Cam Sensor

Thank u so much for the ongoing conversation relating this subject. I just got home from the Honda dealership due to a problem I have with my car. Sadly enough to say I knew something was really wrong since my car was acting weird..not going over 4rpms when shifting, hard steering wheel, and not going more than 10mph. I took it today and they have to replace the cam sensor...not only that..a spool valve needs to be replaced as well..($358 cam sensor/$180 spool valve) so I'm a mess..
Thanks 2 u guys I finally understood this whole scenario!
Have a great weekend
Athena

Collapse -
Nissan Parts Dealers
by JohnMoore4u / August 5, 2010 4:44 PM PDT

Its always best to consult with the best nissan dealer.. So that you will have very clear and precious idea about your problems!

@cool_guycnet, If you are in New York then try to contact Titan Motor Group( http://www.titanmotorgroup.com ), I think they are one of the authentic Nissan Dealer in the Country.

So, I hope will get answers for all your questions!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.