The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Time Warner throttles iTunes downloads

by jaw04005 / February 5, 2008 3:30 AM PST

Starting on Thursday, January 31st, Time Warner subscribers in Texas starting experiencing connectivity issues to the iTunes store to the point where the service wasn't usable. General internet traffic issues haven't coincided with these problems, and many folks have reported that the store works as normal when they head to the nearest mega-bookstore and use their ISP instead. Time Warner has announced that they're going to begin trials of tiered pricing in one local Texas market, but I'll be darn sure to switch my provider if I hear the slightest hint of destination/content based tiers instead of bandwidth tiers."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/02/03/0440259.shtml?tid=95

Still think it's a great idea, Tom?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time Warner throttles iTunes downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time Warner throttles iTunes downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do I still think what is a great idea?
by acedtect / February 5, 2008 1:20 PM PST

Do I think tiered Internet is a great idea?
No never have.

Do I think throttling iTunes is a good idea?

No.

Do I think metered bandwidth is a great idea?
If done right, yeah. In other words, I don't have a problem with paying more for more usage. I do have a problem with outrageous rates or degradation of service I pay for.

Collapse -
(NT) pwned! ;)
by SPIRIdk / February 5, 2008 5:25 PM PST
Collapse -
Time Warner, iTunes
by oceans777 / February 6, 2008 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: pwned! ;)

Maybe this is what going on here in LA with iTunes in all of my Macs for the past week. Suddenly on my Time Warner cable Internet downloads of all iTunes podcasts, music, etc has slowed to a miserable crawl - so slow that the downloads often time out before they can complete more than a few. I have the fastest speed package from Time Warner and other pages, web stuff is still very fast, speed tests show normal.

I go to our work location where we have a commercial ISP with the same Mac Book and MAc Book Pro and iTunes runs perfectly.

I will dump Time Warner in a heartbeat if I find out they are doing this and if they start metered bandwidth, which I think is a lousy idea for consumers. It will be the same rip-off cellular phone "plans" package deals that only benefit the ISP and make us pay through the nose for less.

Collapse -
Not mine
by freak0823 / February 7, 2008 3:57 AM PST

I have Time Warner and live in Texas, and I haven't had any problem with iTunes. I use it everyday and not a single problem. Maybe I'm just lucky I guess.

Collapse -
dont mess with tx
by oceans777 / February 7, 2008 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Not mine

or maybe they are holding you hostage and forcing you to post 'everythings good here fellas!'. hmmmm. i don't know...

Collapse -
Me no hostage
by freak0823 / February 8, 2008 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: dont mess with tx

**As I pick up the paper handed to me at gunpoint and read the words**

I am not a hostage.
I read, I mean say this freely.
All is good here.
Have a nice day.

Who knows, maybe it's just certain areas.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.