Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Time Warner Cable Intelligent Home Router Problem?Anyone els

by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

Config as follows:Time Warner modem>Time Warner router(Intelligent home security)>NetgearWNDR3700>PC running Homeseer Homeautomation via Windows XP. I am in upstate NY and recently had Intelligent Home installed which consists of a NetGear router from Time Warner that is specific to the wireless security in my home.The tech that installed the TW router said my Netgear that is plugged into the security router "wont even see the TW router,its invisible".I port forwarded "10200"my app on my Android that allows me to control my automation via the phone prior to the TW upgrade and now I cant connect to Homeseer PC.So my question before I call Time Warner,do I need a second modem or do they have to port forward the router(and yes I port forwarded my router "10200"to the Homeseer PC IP).I cant access the TW router and I am sure they wont give me admin priviledges to change it myself....Jeff

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time Warner Cable Intelligent Home Router Problem?Anyone els
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time Warner Cable Intelligent Home Router Problem?Anyone els
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Admendment
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 12:35 PM PDT

BYW,
The Homeseer app worked on my phone allowing me to control my automation prior to the second router being installed (security upgrade)......Jeff

Collapse -
Answer
Small world. My wndr3800
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 12:36 PM PDT

My wndr3800 had all sorts of issues which mostly cleared up when I went back a version in firmware.

As to your port forward question I can't address that. If I wanted to try this I might put the device I want to access into the DMZ entry but I read that TMZ won't give you control so maybe all this is a dead end.

Now there is that issue of a DOUBLE NAT. If you have a TWC router, then you must not use the WAN port of the next router.
Bob

Collapse -
How aboutTime Warner...
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 1:05 PM PDT

If you have a TWC router, then you must not use the WAN port of the next router....

From the TWC router to what then on my router?Thanks...Jeff

Collapse -
Usually the LAN port.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

And you set it up as a WAP. Lots of internet articles but if you use the WAN port, you get to deal with the issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Network drive and Homeseer PC
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually the LAN port.

Both of these are connected to the WAN on my router.How about if Time Warner just gave me another modem?One for their router and one for mine.How am I supposed to port forward anything if I cant get into their router?I dont have an engineering degree in networking nor do I want one for something this basic....:)

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 1:32 PM PDT

But if you use the WAN port of the second router I can't help. It's something I rarely see folk able to get working.

You bring up a good point. Since this is an advanced setup, how can we avoid becoming a network savant?
Bob

Collapse -
;)
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks Bob for the help.I will keep you posted as to what remedy TW has to offer though I am getting a sick feeling in my gut.......Jeff

Collapse -
Check this out and let me know.....
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.
Collapse -
That's quite an old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 2:04 PM PDT

Interesting but if they lock you out and you can't configure the second router as a WAP then give yourself time to learn more or get them to give up control.
Bob

Collapse -
Is this what your saying?
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 3:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Please clarify step 5
by skitters7 / April 7, 2013 5:22 PM PDT

In the IP Address field, change the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.1.100 (same IP segment of the main router, 192.168.1.1)........
I am assuming 192.168.1.1 is the example LAN address.So my IP is 10.0.0.1.Do I input 10.0.0.100?

Collapse -
Great guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify step 5

Yes, that's a number I would choose as well.

Now you see why I wrote above that you become a master of IP networking.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Firewall in the router check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Great guess.
Collapse -
lol
by skitters7 / April 8, 2013 5:22 AM PDT

Bob,
I feel like I am now 10% proficient with networks.Long ways to go......;)

Collapse -
Answer
Now to be proficent at CNET Forums?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 5:45 AM PDT

This forum bottoms out and we get to reply to a top post to start again.

At one day you are at 10%. In ten days you will know it all.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.