Mac Applications forum

Question

Time Machine backup organization

by NMPhotoTaker / May 29, 2011 12:01 AM PDT

Recently because of missing photos in my IPhoto Library local tech folks restored the Library from my Time Machine. At least two problems surfaced as a result of that restoration: 1) Organization of photos in albums was completely lost. No album structure appeared with the restoration. 2) There appears to be massive duplication. The file grew from 36 GB ( some 12,000 photos) to about 60 GB.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time Machine backup organization
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time Machine backup organization
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I don't think the "restoration" was done correctly.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 29, 2011 4:14 AM PDT

I think that they used Time Machine to add ALL the pictures in your Time Machine files to the existing pictures on your Mac.

Collapse -
Restoration to selected date?
by NMPhotoTaker / May 29, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

Your diagnosis that the restoration was done incorrectly sounds good to me (evidence is the dramatic increase in the file size as well as lots of duplicate photos). I have not been able to follow your suggested procedure because I don't know how to select a particular "time period" as the reference point for the restoration process. Can you clarify how that is done? And should I expect that a properly done restoration will indeed include my albums as they were organized on the reference date?

Collapse -
To select a Restore date.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 29, 2011 9:55 PM PDT

Once you have the Time Machine window open, you will see a list of dates on the right hand side of the window.
At the bottom of the screen you see, from left to right, Cancel, The date you are looking at, Restore.
Above Restore are two arrows. Up and Down (forwards and backwards)
Click the Up arrow once and you see the the screen image scroll backwards in time. The date changes.
Keep going until you get to a date that you know that everything was correct.
Click on the iPhoto library, just once, and then click Restore.
That's all there is to it.
Follow my first instructions before you launch Time Machine.

Collapse -
Restoration Worked!!!
by NMPhotoTaker / May 30, 2011 9:36 AM PDT

Thank you MrMacFixIt, your instructions worked perfectly. Virtually all of our 11,200 photos were restored from the backup on Time Machine with no duplication and with both thumbnails and full photo images. Final question re that procedure: can the IPhoto Library icon that I previously moved to the desktop now be trashed?

Collapse -
Glad it worked out for you.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 30, 2011 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Restoration Worked!!!

The icon on the desktop should the called iPhoto Library.
If it is, you can now put it in the trash.
Delete the trash as required.

To be honest with you, the drive that you are using for your Time Machine backups is not even close to being big enough.

You would be better off looking at something like the Seagate 1TB USB hard drive which retail for just around $100, if not cheaper.

There is a way to make Time Machine start over, I'll get back to you with the answer shortly.

Meanwhile, the Time Machine method of backup works very well indeed and is only limited by the amount of storage space you have available to store the backup.
This applies no matter what method of backup you use.

P

Collapse -
About the only way I can find
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 9:43 AM PDT

to make the TM backup start over again is to erase the disk using Disk Utility.
That will force TM to look at the drive as a new one and offer to back up to it.

Collapse -
iLife forum: Time Machine backup organization
by Jane0018 / July 28, 2011 4:15 PM PDT

tks for your answer...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.