Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Time for the music download industry to step up.........

by mark04276 / March 27, 2007 10:13 PM PDT

I recently started purchasing songs from the Internet from a legitimate site. The music industry has said for years that they are being ripped off from people downloading/sharing mp3 without paying. Fair enough, but isnt that what they are doing to thoose who buy their music?
I dont mind paying $.88 for a song that is new and no older than 5 years, but shouldnt the price go down as the song gets older and older. Eighty-eight cents for Nickleback's "Rockstar" is worth it, considering I will probally hear it on the radio more than I will play it on my computer. However eighty-eight cents for Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" that I would like to have in my collection but will hardly ever play on a regular basis isnt worth it.
And another thing that I have noticed, not all tracks are available to download of the same album. Usually this is the best song on the album or an exclusive song from where you are buying the song. You can only get the song if you buy the whole album. Isnt this the whole purpose of buying tracks?
I am not really asking questions here, just speaking my mind and wondering, are they really being fair to us?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time for the music download industry to step up.........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time for the music download industry to step up.........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since when was the music industry fair?
by TreknologyNet / March 30, 2007 9:14 PM PDT

I'm not prepared to pay even $0.88 for an inferior product. The market was flogged CDs over vinyl because of space saving, yet even older products on CD are regularly deleted so that if you miss the window of opportunity to purchase, you can't track down that elusive song after the event.

It is high time that the music industry was made accountable to the creative talents that drive it, and the audience that feeds it.

Collapse -
My sentiments exactly.
by btljooz / March 31, 2007 5:39 AM PDT

I haven't bought music from anyone but indies since 1997. I REFUSE to download ANY "media" from the net!!! I want a CD, DVD or VHS in my warm little hand for MY money. Cool

Why pay for a 'download' when if the device it's downloaded to crashes or is destroyed, etc. (...losing all those co$tly 'download$') WILL FORCE one to RE-BUY ALL of the collection on said device ...IF one can even FIND all of their original collection to begin with?????? Confused

No thanks. NOT that route for me!!!

I take care of all my media so I will not likely have to RE-Buy it AGAIN. I choose NOT to support the RIAA -OR- any of the "artists" that belong to it!!!!! I will continue this stance until the RIAA backs down and treats its artists AND us...the PAYING CONSUMER ...(that are the ones who pad the RIAA pocket$) with RE$PECT!!!

Collapse -
Can understand your way of thinking but......
by mark04276 / April 1, 2007 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: My sentiments exactly.

1. Everybody likes to have something in their hands for their money.. no arguement there.

2. From the previous post, inferior product? Ok, I am not saying the wma format is better than mp3, but to the naked ear over a laptop speaker or even on any player, I cant tell the difference.

3. If device crashes.... I do back up on regular basis to more than one media. What if you have a fire or a burgular?

4. Costly? Nothing can be more costly than buying a cd that has 6 out of 11 songs on it that are good or that you want. Six newly released songs cost $5.28 to download and a recently released cd can cost anywhere from $9 to $16 to buy.

5. Choosing not to support the RIAA or the artist that belong to it, is all fine and dandy but I like music that is well known, played on the radio and everyone knows the words to. (besides CCR)

6. I dont even own a cd player (outside of my laptop) or even a home entertainment center any more. I used to buy CDs all the time, but I found myself not playing them cause it was an inconvience. I had to get up, find the cd I wanted, pick the right track for the song I wanted and then do it all over if I wanted to listen to another song of a differnet artist. Now, I have a program (media monkey) that I type the name of the song or artist or whatever and it is playing. I can add 20 songs to the playlist in the same time it took me to get the cd out and play 1 song. Another advantage, I can take my whole music collection with me witout carrying a 100 cds along with me.

7. Those of you that referenced the p2pnet sites. Well I do alot with my computer and research alot too, but didnt even know about the boycott thing till you posted the links. Good luck with that. Never mind its April.

8. I not here saying what I do is right and what you do is wrong. I just seam to think there should be a remedy that everybody could be happy with.

Collapse -
REad this:
by btljooz / March 31, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
http://p2pnet.net/story/11498

When done reading that article and all it's posts, go through the site's archives and educate yourselves even further. Wink
Collapse -
Here's a BETTER one:
by btljooz / March 31, 2007 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: REad this:
Collapse -
I don't think an MP3 is worth even 50 cents
by savagesteve13 / April 4, 2007 8:44 PM PDT

They should offer full uncompressed downloads of digital music. If I'm going to cough up cash for a song, I want a full 25 megabyte lossless download, then I can make my own MP3 at whatever bit rate I feel I need before putting it on a portable player.

Collapse -
Music Industry has never being fair and it is time to pay us
by epastrana / April 12, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

Did the Music Industry complained during the 80's when I bought tons and tons of vinyl, cassette singles and even, 45 rpm vinyl? Of course not! They were madly happy as hell. Do you think that on those years could the Music Industry lower their prices? Ha-ha-ha!!!.........well, it is time to pay us back!

Sharing, not sharing, downloading or not, buying or not, keep it or not.....WE CONTROL NOW!

I would buy a song if the cost could be less than 50 cents. If you put AFFORDABLE music all over the world, you could see the difference. 99 cents for a song, perhaps gets them a half a million downloads (this is just an example). Think about putting the same song at an affordable price; let's say 49 cents. Downloads would amazingly multiply and now, please do the math. Getting perhaps 2 songs for a dollar, could be the answer to all these conflicts but as I said before, RIAA and all the Music Industry don't have mercy for anyone so, good luck guys and let us control this (and everybody will keep sharing songs).

If by the other hand, there is the slightest change that RIAA and the Music Industry could be humble enough and admit that they reacted late to technology and their future keeps narrowing on them, MAYBE everybody could some day obtain a fair deal.

Collapse -
I can check

I have Urge. If you don't have it I can check to
see what they have for 3 or 4 artists. I pay $9.95
a month. Pandora is nice for internet radio and is
free. I just found mercora as well. Don't forget
that many aritsts make a video out of their best
songs. Dailymotion has reasonable sound quality
for music videos.

-Stephen

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.