Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Time, 100 most influential people list...

by Willy / May 13, 2013 3:14 AM PDT

Yada, yada, doda day long...what a crock.

I still read magazines so when I picked up the copy of Time, Apr/May/2013(double issue) well guess what. There is a list and its edited or comprised from other famous people. Gee, the editor or the correspondents can't do thier own homework. They need the other famous to point out what new or now famous people make an impact. If it going to be one of their peers, geez what is left, how about the little guy on the street. The crossing guard impact on all the kids they protected since when...

Why not enshrine Mr. Crappola(throne) guy that makes my life better every single day. As you can tell, it rubbed me the wrong way, no matter that some content maybe worthy. -----Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time, 100 most influential people list...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time, 100 most influential people list...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can call him Thomas Crapper, since he was a 19th Century
by Ziks511 / May 13, 2013 10:56 PM PDT

maker of porcelain flushing conveniences, though there were earlier models by other people. He captured a goodly segment of the market in England, and was the man who gave rise to all those Crap... names.

So far as I know, no one was ever named American Standard.

Collapse -
I have heard of Kohler

My oldest daughter dated a "Kohler" for awhile, lol. Still, nobody says they're gonna go take a "kohler", so not quite the same as poor Thomas Crapper.

Collapse -
OK, better than a crock pot
by Willy / May 14, 2013 9:47 AM PDT

You know indoor plumbing has its origins during Greek but definitely Roman times. As the remaining signs of a past civilization is the old clay/lead pipes. Now, that's dealing in old cr*p. So to give the name to that Roman guy *must* have been Tidius Flushes. Wink

OK, Mr. Thomas is known a the maker of the water closet. Of course, the Thames had to be a possible drain point, not good as history has reported. I think that has greatly improved. Happy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I subscribe to Time even if their editoral staff
by Roger NC / May 15, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

at times leans enough to distract me from the storyline.

I'm 2 or 3 weeks behind right now, yard work last month and last week was a 77 hour at work then 16 hours Monday this week.

Reading an article about "non-profit" hospitals profit margins etc., and the nonsense chargemaster list that sets the cost of procedures and treatments, totally unrelated to the actual cost of the procedure or treatment, and so many different discounts depending on who pays for it.

HINT, if you're paying for it all yourself, you pay the highest price.

Astonishing the salaries reported for the managers too.

Oh well, what you gonna do, you play their game or excercise your second amendment rights on yourself.

Collapse -
Nice to read "in hand"
by Willy / May 15, 2013 1:55 PM PDT

It seems serious "national type magazines" are going away and won't come back. I like to think these are all middle of the road journalism at its best, just reporting the news and facts and what have you. No spinning or tainted leaning, whatever others may think so. Seeing other true magazines that are more tainted or outright say they're left or right just doesn't sit well with me. Not that something can't be had, but I want real factual reports/articles not some banging on the desk sorta yellow reports. It's always nice to really read something not from the WWW and have someone that backs-up what they wrote with real facts or subject matter. You think about it and hardly see or feel that way about what's brought by the WWW side of journalism. At least with a newspaper i can have some 2nd use, like start the fireplace, line the birdcage, pack some packages or soak a wet mess can't do that with the LCD. Shocked ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.