Mac OS

General discussion

Tiger book or not?

by jennywren1420 / April 23, 2007 2:40 PM PDT

Some of you have been following the thread I began about a wonky disk for installing OS 10.4, Tiger. Well, here I am, a stranger in a strange land, both bewildered and exhilarated. That is to say, I have installed Tiger after having had a chat with a solemn young man named Andrew at the Apple Store in Soho (New York City). He did everything I could have wished for, including taking a good look at my cranky disk 1 on his computer. Like mrmacfixit, he assured me that I was not going to wreck my dear old G4 by trying to install OS X with it, that the error message could well be coming from an oversensitive copy of Norton Antivirus (and he advised me to turn it off during installation) and that he was convinced that if there was any problem after the installation, I could fix it with a repair utility. He was so positive (I mean that in the sense of "confident and upbeat," not "sure") that he made me feel that way, too. The next day I installed Tiger, and now I stand in awe of the creature I have taken to my (well, my computer's) bosom--and a little lost.

Which brings me to the question that is the title of this thread: With Leopard just beyond the horizon and likely to be the OS I'll be using on my next computer, is it worth the money to get the best book about Tiger that I can get? And which is that? I've perused the Pogue "missing manual" about Tiger ($30), as well as the astounding, muscle-building (1,000 pages in paperback) book by Ted Landau, author of my favorite Mac book to date, _Sad Macs, Bombs and Other Disasters._ Landau's Tiger book costs $50.

I know that there are others, but those two seem the most comprehensive, and each is comprehensible as well. Landau's also has loads of troubleshooting material along with the explanations about Tiger and its differences from OS 9. That's what makes his books so incredibly useful to me and numerous others. The thing is whether Leopard is likely to be different enough from Tiger to warrant buying still another book when I finally get it. If I spend $30 or $50 now on a Tiger book, am I likely to have thrown that money away?

Nobody that I know owns a crystal ball, so I don't expect foolproof answers. On the other hand, you all know much , much more than I do about OS X, so you may be able to give a guess or two.

Last, do I really need all that Pogue or Landau is offering in order to understand and become familiar with Tiger? I've done my share of troubleshooting with Landau for years and am very grateful for all I've learned. I would gladly buy his book on Tiger if I felt that its contents would be applicable to Leopard as well. If I can take a crash course with another, less expensive book, though (or one with more lasting applicability), I'd gladly know that and wait for Leopard and the Landau Leopard book that is likely to come in turn. I'd have no hesitation about buying that one.

Please, though, no suggestions about a "Tiger for Dummies" book unless it truly is the best Tiger book I can get without splurging for Pogue or Landau. For some reason, I have found the style in the "dummies" books I've looked at extremely irritating. I know they have been helpful to many people, and maybe it's just me being overly picky, but there it is.

Thank you all, in advance. I shall eagerly await your opinions and recommendations.

Jenny

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tiger book or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tiger book or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Book suggestions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Tiger book or not?

Before you go off splurging your hard earned $ on a Tiger book, you might want to look a little closer to home.
The best way to learn about a new system is to "play" with it. It all works in much the same way as System 9, you double click to launch and things like that.
The Apple web site has many interesting tutorials about using various parts of iLife and the system overall.
F12 brings up the widgets, F12 again makes them go away.
F9, F10 & F11 is all to do with Expose. Punch the buttons and see.

Then, if you feel that you really, absolutely, positively have to know somethng else that you cannot figure out for yourself, post it here and we'll tell you to go buy a Book! Happy

Seriously, glad you got to X, now play with it. Heck, if you break it, just reinstall it.

Have fun

P

Collapse -
But it depends
by tamburlaine63 / April 23, 2007 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Book suggestions

Hello - You'll recognize me I'm sure from all the times you've bailed me out of trouble on the simplest, most well written OS in the world. When I went to Macs just some two years ago from PC'S, I turned it on for the first time, clicked here and there, began to love it immediately, have learned even more recently, and would never leave the best and simplest format ever available.
But her question goes more to the heart of how an individual approaches any new project; my instinct [and fun] is to 'turn-it-on & let 'er rip'; just play with it! I'm not going to ever have the entire 'keyboard shortcuts' taped to the wall near the breakfast table because 'it should be learned'...But, perhaps if someone would take that more inch-by-inch approach brought by Pogue and others, they'd have more tools in their shed, such as, 'hold down the option key when starting iTunes to...etc'.
I would only recommend that someone not make a chore out of what essentially is 'play' at best, and when bad strikes, post to the forum and enjoy your responses!

Collapse -
Playing with Tiger
by jennywren1420 / April 24, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Book suggestions

Thanks to you both. I think you are right: I must play with the Tiger, even if it bites me, now and then. My problem really is time, right now--therefore the idea of using a book. (With my mother still ailing, I hardly have a moment to myself for anything else but keeping her and her household functioning as well as may be expected.)

Actually, I looked carefully at Ted Landau's book, and for now, it's much too much for me--at least at this point. If I need to repair something, perhaps, but just for getting acquainted with OS X, probably no.

Best,

Jeeny

Collapse -
My two cents
by NYCJim / April 27, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Playing with Tiger

Not buying a guide, in my opinion, is a bad idea. OS's are complicated even when they are designed to be intuitive. You'll always find something that makes taking the time to read and learn worthwhile. While I don't receive a penny from this source, I've found Troubleshooting Mac OS X Tiger Edition well worth it. It's only in downloadable PDF e-book form. This makes it a breeze to search for topics of interest or read from beginning to end. I think it costs $20.

Good luck.

Collapse -
My three cents
by b8375629 / April 30, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Tiger book or not?

I like the Pogue's Tiger book, myself. I emailed him and he said he will come out with a Leopard edition of his book by the end of the year.

In the meantime, if you don't want to spend the money, I'm partial to "Mac OSX Tiger Pocket Guide" by Chuck Toporek. I've seen them on the internet for as little as 5 bucks. Great little guide and if you're adventurous, he even has a little section on the OS X terminal if you want to learn some basic UNIX commands.

Collapse -
Books not worth it...
by gslrider / April 30, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: My three cents

Personally, unless you really want to know the ins and outs, and all the nuance's of the OS X (including terminal/unix command lines), there really isn't anything a book can tell you that you can't find out for yourself (and for free). I've been a Mac user for 17 years, and I have never bought a book on Mac OS. Save Jaguar (my leap from OS 9 to OS X). Can't remember the book, but I got it because I wanted to make sure that the transition from Classic to OS X would go smoothly. Honestly, I've only made reference to the book twice, on two subjects. The rest was pretty straight forward by just exploring the OS. And the book, well it gathers dust on my shelf. A waste of $35 if you ask me.

As for Leopard, I go by the standard of "wait till the next 2 updates", or "the last update before the next version of OS X". The way I see it, there are always glitches to new software/OSs. That's why there are updates to address the issues. I'm happy with the way my current OS (10.4.9) is running now. And if I wait long enough to switch to Leopard, they would have addressed most of the glitches already. Saves me the any headaches in the long run.

Collapse -
That's true for some people
by b8375629 / May 1, 2007 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Books not worth it...

I've only been using an Apple on and off for the last two years, and I needed a book to help me in the beginning. What may come as second nature for some people, isn't always the case for others.

After awhile, I referred to the book less and less until I didn't need it anymore. I never pay full price for a book, btw. I either check it out at the library (if they have it), or I get it used and at a quarter of the price.

Collapse -
Internet
by gslrider / May 1, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

That's where the internet comes in very handy. Just google what you are looking for, and it'll usually come up. Not saying books aren't helpful. But why pay for something, you can get for free.

Collapse -
Because some people would rather have the book
by b8375629 / May 2, 2007 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet

Like I said, whatever works for some people, may not work well for others.

Yes, you can google and many things are intuitive where you don?t need to read a book about it, but I (and maybe some others) don?t want to spend a lot of time reading about everything on the internet. I like some time away from the computer, even if it is about computers. (laughs)

I also like to have something tangible in my hands. You don?t have to spend a lot of money on books, although some people do. Just get the right one that suits you and buy used. Besides, when I?m done with a book, I sell ?em used and get some of that money back. Call me ?old-school?.

The topic was more about what book should she go with right now, or whether should should wait for Leopard to come out. Not whether she should buy one or not?

Collapse -
Thanks to all
by jennywren1420 / May 9, 2007 8:47 AM PDT

You have all been very generous with your time and thoughts. I really appreciate that. So far, I've done OK just muddling my way through, depending on what came up, or going to Help files or asking or checking Apple's support, but I may get one of the books that were suggested. I just need more time, something that I haven't had much of, lately. Out of the woods soon, I hope; in the meantime, thanks again.

jenny

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.