Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Thumbnail View Of JPG File

by GFK / July 30, 2005 6:47 AM PDT

In Win98 and ME there it was possible when in Windows Explorer to click once on a graphic [JPG for instance] and display a thumbnail view or twice to view the graphic in its full view.

In my XP I can't find how to configure for this capability. Can anyone tell me how to do it, or if XP doesn't have that capability?

I know I can configure a folder to display thumbnail for ALL the files in that folder, but I prefer the detail view and to be able to click on a graphic and have a choice of either a thumbnail OR full view of the JPG.

Thanks,

G.F.K.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thumbnail View Of JPG File
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thumbnail View Of JPG File
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Preview
by Adi / July 30, 2005 7:16 AM PDT

When you click on a JPEG file in detail view, selecting it, a preview of the image will appear in the left hand sidebar of the window, under a title called "Detail". Is that what you want?

If you have folder view enabled, so the left sidebar of the explorer window displays the folders, then you won't see this preview. Simply click the "Folders" button in the toolbar at the top of the Explorer window to remove the folder view, giving you the tasks sidebar.

Hope this helps,
Adi

Collapse -
No Tasks Sidebar
by GFK / July 31, 2005 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Preview

Adi:

I don't have a tasks sidebar, or at least I can't see one. When I click on the ''Folders'' button in the toolbar at the top of Explorer window it doesn't give me a tasks sidebar. It just removes the folder sidebar showing all the files to the left hand margin of Windows Explorer.

G.F.K.

Collapse -
Re: No Tasks Sidebar
by Tufenuf / July 31, 2005 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No Tasks Sidebar

G.F.K., If I'm not mistaken you don't have that same option(Preview)in Windows XP. If you click on View and choose Thumbnails you'll see all your picture thumbnails in the right pane. If you then double click on the picture it will open in full view with whatever viewer you have it set to open with.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I have found this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 31, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

If I open My Documents on the Desktop, it is in Category view. That is, it has a blue column on the left which gives certain details and/or options.

If I click on My Computer in the left column, I can then navigate through C in the right pane to anywhere on my hard drive.

If I open any folder that has images, I note the following;

1] In Tools > Folder options, on the General tab, if under ''Tasks" the option selected is to ''Show common tasks in folders'', then;

a) in the folder I have opened, if I click on the Views options icon in the menu bar and make sure the option selected is ''Tiles'', ''Icons'', ''List'', or ''Details'', then if I highlight any image, a preview will be shown in the left hand column. But,

b) if I select any other option in the View options menu, whenever I highlight an image in the right pane, all I get are details in the left column, and no image.

2] In Tools > Folder options, on the General tab, if I select ''Use Windows Classic Folders'' under Tasks, then the blue left hand column disappears, and I have no options to preview images under Tiles, Icons, List or Details above. However the other options, Thumbnails, Filmstrip still show previews.

In Windows Explorer, whether I click on ''Show common tasks in folders'' or ''Use Windows Classic'', in Folder Options, there is no blue column on the left, and therefore no options to preview images except the Filmstrip or Thumbnail options in the right hand pane.

So, it seems that the left hand preview option is only available from My Documents, using that to navigate to any other folder that holds images, and not in Windows Explorer as far as I can fathom out.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Mark, That Answers My Question
by GFK / July 31, 2005 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: I have found this
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad I could help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 1, 2005 8:04 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.