PC Hardware forum

Thoughts on this i7 build, please?

by humboldtsmoke / April 28, 2013 6:14 AM PDT

Hey all!

I'm a long time PC user and I decided to go for a build of my very own. Any thoughts on these components going together? Suggestions on better prices or parts?

Board: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe $189

Chip: i7 3770k $310

Power: Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt

Case: generic $29

RAM: DDR3 1600mhz 16gb $108

HD: 1TB WD 7200rpm $67

Blu-ray combo drive $70

I'm thinking of just using the built in videocard on the motherboard for now...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thoughts on this i7 build, please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thoughts on this i7 build, please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) Good from here provided you get good RAM.
by VAPCMD / April 28, 2013 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
On second thought....you might want
by VAPCMD / April 29, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

take a look at the MBs on this list. The one you picked will work ...however, why limit your options for more RAM...maybe 8GBs now and 8GBs later or other peripherals....like a better sound capability or perhaps a second GPU.

Re cases....Bob is right there too...you never want a slimline or micro case.........they look great great but once you realize how small and cramped they are and sometimes poorly ventilated ...the sooner you realize the error for now or the future.

Let us know how it works out.

PS....In the future, suggest providing links to the products you want advice/feedback on. Again the MB you selected will work but may not be best for later as you fill out or expand the system.

Collapse -
by bob b / April 29, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

What are you going to use this machine for?

That mobo is one of those super small things.
If "case generic" is a mid tower you might want to shop for an Atx mobo.

If "case generic" is one of those mini things you might find that psu does not fit.

Collapse -
by bob b / April 29, 2013 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: proper case size
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.