Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ThorConnWndClass & Outlook

by johnnyrich2002 / December 26, 2004 8:33 AM PST

Hi all - I've been having problems with Outlook (particularly). I'm using 2003 but it's probably not version specific. After some time of inactivity Outlook would refuse to Send/Receive (would lock-up through the process). I had to kill the Outlook process and then restart Outlook. All was OK for some more(?) time.

If I didn't kill the Outlook process but instead tried to close down the machine I would get an error message (ThorConnWndClass not responding etc.). which had to be told (or allowed) to close.

Also, on my (home) network...

1. I was UNABLE to initiate a Remote Desktop session from my laptop to the main machine on which Outlook was running. I found that by going to the main machine and opening up the ZoneAlarm GUI I was able to run RDP from the laptop - this turned out in the end to be a red herring!

2. I was UNABLE to print from my laptop to the shared printer on the main machine. I used to resolve it in the same way as above (ZoneAlarm GUI - again a red herring).

3. On the main machine I have several batch files for back-up purposes, which attempt to contact various network drives. I was finding that connection was being lost to those drives. I was having to put commands into the batch files which would 'wakeup' the network drives e.g. 'Explorer S:'. This would launch a window and all would be OK for a while.

4. As with 3 above, I had shortcuts on the main machine desktop to files which were stored on a network drive. Clicking on these links gave no response unless I hap previously 'woken-up' the (network) drive.

I've seen various replies to help requests on the Outlook question and have tried as many as seemed practical (and which I understood!).

I've found a solution for me at least. It sounds so simple now but it took a long time to get to this point. I've set the screensaver to 'None' and all now seems OK - I'm delighted and hope that this might help someone else.

The screensaver I was using was nothing fancy - one I've used many times over the years - just the 'My Pictures SlideShow' screensaver supplied with XP. Whether it's something to do with one or more of the images I used (all my own .JPGs) I don't know. All I do know is that the above problems have disappeared from the system and I'm a happy bunny once more!!!

Hope this helps someone else out there

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ThorConnWndClass & Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ThorConnWndClass & Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ThorConnWndClass & Outlook
by scoot / December 26, 2004 7:15 PM PST

ThorConnWndClass is an internal part of 'Crash Guard' Symantec have not included it in the latest Norton release, appartently it was a source of problems. Usually removing crash guard cured the TCWC problem. Did you remove it as one of the 'practical' solutions. If so that could have been the 'cure' not the deletion of the screensaver

Collapse -
No Symantec products
by johnnyrich2002 / December 27, 2004 1:43 AM PST

To the best of my knowledge (clean reformat and reinstall recently) I have no Symantec/Norton products installed. Whether some module has come along on the back of something else - well I wouldn't know about that. Thanks anyway

Collapse -
thorconnwndclass and outlook
by ddebm2 / May 9, 2005 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: No Symantec products

i am having the same issue.. help.. i also do not have any symantec programs.
what did you do to fix if anything..?

Collapse -
No screen saver and no Symantec products
by Sloveni4n / July 12, 2006 7:31 PM PDT

I just had the same problem. I am using Windows XP and Outlook will not send any messages, no matter how small they are. I am also unable to delete the messages stuck in the sending tray...
I do not have any screen saver or Symantec products, so I would be greatful if someone can give me advice on this. My computer is a home use, so does not have any special programme installed.
Do I need to re-install the Windows?

Collapse -
by Sloveni4n / July 12, 2006 7:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
by kevinbeal / August 6, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

If you can not delete messages in outbox change auto send receive to off, close and restart outlook. You can now delete or move outbox messages to drafts. It locks up because it they are cued for send.

Collapse -
Here's my repeatable Outlook 2000 issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2004 10:35 PM PST

If I exit Outlook 2000 (OL2000) when it is sending email, too often it will not exit and you'll see it in the task manager. It won't run again until you endtask it.
The issue was fixed multiple times by Microsoft and still was noticed at the office in OL2002.

It appears to be what I call an endearing bug. I wish a screensaver was the cure for this one.

Collapse -
Not necessarily a 'cure'
by johnnyrich2002 / December 27, 2004 1:41 AM PST

As I said in my post Bob, it solved the problem for me. I know that it wouldn't cover every eventuality but I for one am well pleased.

John R

Collapse -
Ours too
by fordbluechevyred / September 26, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

After losing a hard drive and after doing a full rebuild of windows 2000 Pro one of our users is now experiencing this problem too.

He is using Office 2003 suite.

I applied SP4 and all subsequent updates this morning.
I also installed our "subscribed" McAfee suite this moring as well.

When the user came in, he was able to get a few incoming e-mails but shortly thereafter Outlook stopped sending out e-mails, they seemed stuck in the outbox. We also could not get any response from the Internet (it couldn't get out to the outside world) Maybe this is why the outgoing e-mails stopped too.

So we tried shutting down and restarting but it came up with the ThorConnWndClass not responding thing.

When it finally rebooted Windows 2000 came up partway and we were left at a Solid Blue Screen (not the blue screen of death) with just a Mouse cursor arrow.

Powered off and rebooted and all was well at that point. Launched Outlook, E-mails still not being sent, no internet. Uninstalled McAfee rebooted and for now the system is happy again.

BTW the full rebuild was done with the supplied CD's from Gateway that had the "Free" Norton/Symantec AV software. Although we don't use it, I wonder if somehow the Thor thing got into the registry during the rebuild.

Collapse -
still having this issue
by whunot / August 8, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

I am still having this issue. I have researched so many sites that mention this issue on the web, and most seem to be dated back many years, and nothing too recent. Atr first the screen saver seemed to fix it, and I was very surprised, but the issue came back, and now nothing saeems to fix it. I cant send any pop3 messegaes, only the hotmail account can send. I have deleted all the emails on the mail servers, so that cant be the cause. I have removed the norton antivirus, and I am avoiding re.installing outlook. I hope someone can help me.

Collapse -
ThorConnWndClass problems - sorted
by Steve_GE / August 24, 2006 1:14 AM PDT

Like many of you I have been struggling with this problem for some time now. Finally I found something that worked.I tried System Mechanic V6 from Iolo. Brilliant. It took a lot of my patience to let the software scan and clean my laptop - like 3hrs plus. I clicked the ''PC Total care'' button. Now, my Outlook 2003 runs as it used to i.e updating with each msg sent. My Activsync for my PDA is like new again. My print spooler is back on line - It was fine on my other laptop. My hpq8tra printer error message has gone. My ThorConnWndClass error has gone. My laptop shuts done automatically in a few seconds when asked to do so and not in 10 minutes with manual intervention. I have seen some of the other msgs on this System Mechanic V6 software but for me it has meant I can get back to work and stop trying to be my own techy. I am self employed. It is the best bit of software I have used for AGES! It is far more than a registry cleaner. I don't know what it did exactly and I don't care. It is brilliant and it did what it said on the packet. Good enough for me. I am running XP Pro with SP2 +Zone Alarm full security Suite.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Untrue, disgraceful behaviour by System Mechanic
by wabben / September 17, 2006 12:10 AM PDT

A lot of forum messages point to this page which leads the unsuspecting user to this false claim that System Mechanicm will resolve the problem.

I am ashamed to say that I got caught by the scam and did buy a copy. The product, despite hours of activity failed to resolve the problem in any way.

I hope the company will find ways of shifting its products other than luring unsuspecting users into buying something they do not need.

Collapse -
So what is the Answer?/??/?/
by partyexpress / September 26, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

So which one is true, what is the answer? Has anyone else tried system mechanic to repair this issue?

Steve C.

Collapse -
ThorConnWndClass - Help
by F Farner / June 20, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

I'm new to the forum, and new to the subject problem. I have been doing my homework and now feel confident enough to ask an intelligent question. My outlook is causing a 100% error on my CPU. I have tried all things I have read, to no avail.

Here is the new part I suspect is part of my problem, and that I have not read about anyone else with it. In MAIL; OUTBOX; I have an outgoing message titled ?Peggy Ann Vipond? second half. Every time I attempt to dump this message I get a window that states that message is already transmitting. The date-time group is always the current date-time.

I suspect if I could dump this message that things might get better for us. Any suggestions?

We are running Windows XP on a HP Laptop, with Microsoft Outlook 2003 (11.18.8118.8132) SP2 {and no. I don?t understand what all the numbers mean.)

Thank you,

F Farner

Collapse -
Your answer is in item seven
by nearone / April 2, 2009 12:56 AM PDT

If you can not delete messages in outbox change auto send receive to off, close and restart outlook. You can now delete or move outbox messages to drafts. It locks up because it they are cued for send.

posted by beal

Collapse -
Re: thorconnwndclass errors
by kecl / December 15, 2007 7:09 PM PST

Go to Start/Run, and type:
regsvr32.exe inetcomm.dll and press enter

Collapse -
(NT) That didn't fix my repeatable issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 12:31 AM PST
Collapse -
by JohnRSteward / December 10, 2008 11:27 PM PST

I got this message when I tried to close out of Outlook last night. The new thing that I had done yesterday was to add a gmail account to Outlook. In checking it again, I noticed that the smtp port number was incorrect. By correcting that port number, the problem has gone away.
To get to the port number...
Open Outlook and go to...
Tools/Options/Mail setup
Click on Email accounts
Select "View or Change email accounts"
Click Next
Select the account (if you have more than one...)
Click Change
Click More Settings
Click Advanced
Verify that the outgoing SMTP port number is correct. As of this writing the gmail port number should be 465.

Collapse -
I've moved to Outlook 2003 and still
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: ThorConnWndClass

This issue remains. You can never be sure if Outlook 2000 to 2003 will really quit. As I'm now writing a Windows Mobile application with Visual Studio 2008 on Vista 32 with the latest Active Sync the basic machine has changed 3 times yet Outlook 2000 to 2003 still behaves like the Energizer Bunny.

Well the issue doesn't happen as often but its still there.

From my cohorts with Office 2007 they report the issue remains in Office 2007.

PS. My google email settings are correct.

Collapse -
Office 2007
by nearone / April 2, 2009 1:21 AM PDT

ThorConWndClass Error

"From my cohorts with Office 2007 they report the issue remains in Office 2007."

I am using Office 2007 Enterprise and when closing down each night I have to manually end "thorConWndClass".

I have three computers at my desk. Two are connected by MSHOME and the other is independent. Only the two connected by MSHOME Network require the manual intervention. The independent computer has never developed the problem.

I also have a laptop, which had no problem with "thor.." I connected that HP laptop to the MSHOME Network and now it requires a manual intervention to shut down because of this same error.

I reported this to MS but have never received any answer other than the auto-response.

I have spent months looking for a solution and as of yet there is none that have worked for me.

Collapse -
by Benjnme / April 9, 2009 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Office 2007
Collapse -
old problem fixed
by texmd / September 13, 2010 2:36 AM PDT

Go to Start/Run, and type:
regsvr32.exe inetcomm.dll and press enter

this one worked for me today.

Collapse -
same problem
by Bodhana / March 29, 2013 7:33 AM PDT

Thanks for that quick fix! Not sure why it works but it does. I am also running Outlook 03 on XP on my laptop tied into my home system. It only just began happening in the last few days. It has worked fine for several years...go figure Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.