Speakeasy

General discussion

This sounds like similar logic used by gun control advocates

by Steven Haninger / December 26, 2012 2:12 AM PST
Miniskirts banned to prevent rape

While I've not understood why some women seem to make a point of publicly displaying their their "assets", I'm not ready to blame the clothing. There may be some truth to provocative clothing giving the indication of an invitation but it would be the wearer and not the togs that bears responsibility.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This sounds like similar logic used by gun control advocates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This sounds like similar logic used by gun control advocates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poor babies
by Diana Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 8:23 AM PST

Just can't control their testosterone. Sounds like the excuse Muslims use to require burkas and scarfs. It was that the same excuse the Middle Age priests used. It is always the woman's fault for being so seductive.

Rape has nothing to do with sex; it has to do with power.

Diana

Collapse -
True enough
by Roger NC / December 26, 2012 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Poor babies

but dress can encourage rude behavior. Doesn't justify even rude, but it certainly seems to encourage it.

However, I'd like to vote for all us men toning it down, I don't want them to go back to far conservative in dress.

Devil

Collapse -
There might be a faint connection, except that miniskirts
by Ziks511 / December 26, 2012 12:03 PM PST

don't actually incite rape, nor are they lethal in and of themselves when operated. The entire point of gun control, which is impossible in the US at this point simply because of the enormous number of weapons out there, the entire point as I say, is to remove dangerous weapons from the community so that they are not so freely available to the mentally impaired, or the inebriated who are judgementally impaired, or from the hands of people deluded by the effects of some drug or from the hands of children who do not understand their dangers.

My point is therefore, that there is no connection whatsoever with banning assault weapons. Assault weapons are inherently dangerous when loaded, even when handled properly.

I'd stop trying, Steven. It doesn't make you look good to miss the target and the point so completely.

Rob

Collapse -
I disagree. It's about who we punish and when
by Steven Haninger / December 26, 2012 6:47 PM PST

Our solution is to punish people before a crime can be committed rather than after and we focus on some object in their possession rather than the person's behavior. Wearing a miniskirt shouldn't cause a woman to be raped. I believe it's very possible that, while wearing the skirt, she could behave in such a way that some men might view her as inviting them to a sexual encounter. She could do that with or without the skirt. In no way is this an excuse for forcible rape but I could imagine a nasty legal challenge should she want the man charged with the crime. We've also seen videos of confrontations with people wielding weapons that ended in a shooting. The presence of the weapon wasn't the cause that escalated the confrontation to violence. It was the demeanor of the people involved and perhaps the way guns were brandished and handled. Granted, such confrontations tend to otherwise result in fisticuffs and rarely death. In neither case did the gun or skirt do anything on its own to cause criminal activity. So our solution now is to punish before the crime can happen? If it's valid for gun ownership, it's valid for miniskirt wearing. My vote is that it's no solution in either case.

Collapse -
agreed it's no solution
by Roger NC / December 26, 2012 8:11 PM PST

but I will say that a bellerigent person is more likely to continue to raise the stakes in a confrontation with the "comfort" of having a gun at hand.

Collapse -
A law written by men to control women
by TONI H / December 26, 2012 7:27 PM PST

"Conservative" is the word used in the article when it is anything BUT........it's back to the days when women were chattel, owned by men, and when that isn't available anymore, then control is all that's left and the laws, written by them, are the only way to keep that control.

Collapse -
Diana remarked that it was about power
by Steven Haninger / December 26, 2012 9:42 PM PST

I've seen interviews of "supermodels" asking why they do what they do rather than remain modest. I've heard them say dressing in scanty clothing makes them feel sexy which also makes them feel powerful. That's never been anything my brain could understand. As for men's treatment of women, I'll also submit that in most cultures the natural instinct of men is and was to be protective of them. That intention is, IMO, a good one though the implementation might not make it seem so.

Collapse -
We should ban beards in Muslim countries
by James Denison / December 27, 2012 3:36 AM PST

They might be too attractive to Muslim women, leading them astray. Wink

Time for all the guys to shave.

Collapse -
well I always figured the more of my face I covered
by Roger NC / December 27, 2012 7:13 AM PST

the better off I am.

(even if I'm not muslim)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.