Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This one speaks for itself

by Steven Haninger / March 12, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This one speaks for itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This one speaks for itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rather blatant if you ask me.
by JP Bill / March 12, 2013 1:20 PM PDT
After seeing years of heavy-handed secrecy and incessant White House claims of national security to hide the ball from Congress, I supported President Obama's efforts to clean things up and restore some balance. But like most reporters, I am suspicious of these types of promises, especially from politicians. Regardless of who occupies the White House, I understand that power wants power. Scrutiny just gets in the way.

President Obama is no different. Whether it's responding to Congress, media questions, or FOIA requests, this administration is no better than its predecessor. The big difference: Obama is a Democrat. And because he is a Democrat, he's gotten a pass from many of the civil liberty and good-government groups who spent years watching President Bush's every move like a hawk.

No different?.....As It Was In The Beginning, Is Now, and Ever Shall Be?

In a few years you can replace him with someone from the other side making the same promises....THEN things will change.
Collapse -
You might well be correct
by Steven Haninger / March 12, 2013 6:59 PM PDT

and it will allow you to rant about it then where you won't rant about it now. Even the article suggests that's what has been happening. He gets a pass. You want to see real hypocrisy? You've got plenty to pick from.

Collapse -
RE: He gets a pass.
by JP Bill / March 12, 2013 7:54 PM PDT

He's not getting a pass from the author of the article in the OP...or from you...or from Toni...or from O'Reilly/FOX ....or from Obama Backers?

They complain...just not enough for you...the same comment I made to Toni.

Others have the right to remain silent, as do you, anything you say, can be written down or paraphrased, and more than likely will used against you.

Collapse -
(NT) And from you, what does he get?
by Steven Haninger / March 12, 2013 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: He gets a pass.
Collapse -
(NT) High fives of course
by JP Bill / March 12, 2013 8:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
And if it was
by James Denison / March 12, 2013 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: High fives of course

Boehner doing exactly the same? Double high fives?

Collapse -
So you'r give "high fives" to his making a big
by Steven Haninger / March 12, 2013 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: High fives of course

issue out past government lack of transparency, promising this policy but acting similarly to what he was condeming? That he says one thing but does another is, in your mind, tolerable, where someone else doing the same is not tolerable?

Collapse -
An entire article and
by TONI H / March 12, 2013 8:56 PM PDT

you pick out two words in order to defend a hypocrite and a liar? Typical response from you and other liberals though.......you can't defend so deflect and divert the conversation.

Collapse -
Like a dog with a bone
by James Denison / March 12, 2013 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: An entire article and

While someone else had the meal, lol.

Collapse -
RE: deflect and divert
by JP Bill / March 12, 2013 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: An entire article and

When someone mentions Republicans you bring up Obama.

I agree Toni...I'm bad...just as bad as you.

Collapse -
by Josh K / March 14, 2013 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: deflect and divert

You could bring up the Grammy awards and she'd bring up Obama in response.

Collapse -
Typical response but I'm not sure who it is typical of.
by Ziks511 / March 13, 2013 2:18 PM PDT

After Nixon's debacle, and Ford's bumbling, Jimmy Carter came in saying "I'll never lie to you." Consequently he was hounded and harried and every situation was twisted into some species of deception. Making any promises encites a feeding frenzy for those in the Gotcha Brigade in both the Opposition whether Democratic or Republican, and the Press, both of whom will make it up, if they can't find it. This is one point where Republicans are more mature than Democrats. None of them make ethical promises. Nobody expects Truth, or Ethical behaviour or Transparency from a Republican regime, but Democrats are held to a much higher standard and draw greater fire. Iran-Contra would have killed the Democratic Party, but the Republicans sailed blithely on as if it were nothing to do with them and continued in two subsequent Administrations as if it had never happened.

Politics is the art of the possible, if you recall. Showing all your cards will only guarantee defeat at any table in Washington or anywhere else. Transparency means that the Vice President doesn't hold secret meetings with all the CEO's of Energy companies the way Cheney did under Bush. Do you complain when people hold their cards close to the vest? Grow up.

Collapse -
Sorry but I wholly disagree
by Steven Haninger / March 13, 2013 7:11 PM PDT

Regardless of which party is running, when we hear one bashing the other or criticizing predecessors...and both do it regularly...we get to hold that candidate to their word. That "everyone before me did the same" isn't any excuse. From what I see of those who faun over this president regardless of what he says but does instead...and as it's noted in the article..., it's another QED.

Collapse -
RE: and both do it regularly..
by JP Bill / March 13, 2013 8:57 PM PDT

we get to hold that candidate to their word.

There is no "both"...There is only ONE (ONE person that the post is directed at) You very seldom read a post that rails on about a politician and then IN THE SAME POST finishes with and so did his opponent.

A 20 line post railing against Obama that finishes with Bush did the same things......

Aren't you just saying SHUT THE FRONT DOOR and stop talking about politicians...because they're all the same?

Collapse -
I don't recall any Prez before this one
by TONI H / March 13, 2013 10:08 PM PDT

who not only claimed that he would be the 'most transparent administration' on record, but also 'promised' that it would be so transparent that every meeting would be held on CSPAN for the world to see. When he had the first one with the 'budget' committee, he arrogantly insulted not only Eric Cantor but John McCain as well with remarks like 'the election is over, I won'. He got so much flack over that arrogance that he never held another meeting on CSPAN but it hasn't stopped his arrogance even a little bit........I just hope he continues to remember that 'elections have consequences' because he's heading for his own cliff at full speed. He has carried 'lying' to a whole new level.....he's the only politician I've seen who can actually tell the people how he plans to screw them and have them so mesmerized by his 'charm' and the ability to carry a tune smack dab in the middle of an important speech that they don't hear his 'real' words and meanings behind them. All he needs is a turban, a cobra, and a basket............

Collapse -
RE: every meeting would be held on CSPAN
by JP Bill / March 13, 2013 10:14 PM PDT

After making a statement like that I KNOW you can provide a link

Collapse -
RE: All he needs is a turban, a cobra, and a basket........
by JP Bill / March 13, 2013 10:26 PM PDT

It appears he needs none of the above.

Collapse -
He's actually acting just like he said he would
by Steven Haninger / March 13, 2013 10:44 PM PDT

Didn't he tell some Russian ambassador that, this being his last election, he'd have more flexibility when it was over? Yes he did say that. He's just flexing from his pre-election promises. Wink

Collapse -
Some complain because he lies
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 12:38 AM PDT

others complain because he tells the truth.

Collapse -
Ever hear of the old time
by TONI H / March 14, 2013 1:49 AM PDT

snake oil salesmen? Lie, collect the money, then when people complain the product isn't what he promised, he blames that on somebody or something else.......anything but him. BO told everyone during his original campaign and even this one what he intends to do to screw them over, but because he used really 'nice' words like 'invest' instead of 'spend' and 'fair share' instead of "I'm gonna raise everybody's taxes, not just the rich", people only heard what they wanted to hear and cheered him on. Now that his personal decision to make sequestration as painful as possible even when Republicans gave him an out to take the authority and prioritize instead and he refused that authority (like the weasel he is who can't balance his own checkbook without a CPA standing nearby), people who are being hurt by that refusal and getting an eye opening experience about BO. Lots of those people are ones who praised him, supported him, voted for him, donated money to him, and had been getting all those 'freebies' from him........not so much right now, including the LSM. Has he told the American people that HE is the one who refused to make sequestration easier? Nope....he's blamed the Republicans and now is blaming his own Secret Service. Liars are notorious for using the art of 'omission' to hide behind the lies.

Collapse -
RE: people only heard what they wanted to hear
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 5:23 AM PDT

Perhaps they could put one of those little boxes in the bottom of the TV screen when Obama is giving a speech.

It would have you translating into Tonispeak what Obama is saying.

Collapse -
Tonispeak would
by TONI H / March 14, 2013 7:06 AM PDT

be a whole lot easier to understand than BOspeak evidently since a large many didn't fully understand what he was telling them for five years already. For instance......"If you like your health insurance plan, you can keep your health insurance plan".......he forgot to add "IF your plan complies with all the new rules and regulations and has WH approval, you can keep the plan". He also said "Obamacare will lower your insurance premium"......he forgot to say that "the middle class will see a tremendous increase in those premiums because of all of the new requirements that will be added to it and there are only four plans to pick from with the cheapest rate being $22,000 per year".

Collapse -
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Tonispeak would

Someone says this

Under the ACA, California would have the option of extending medical benefits to families living at between 100 percent and 138 percent of the federal poverty line, abysmally set at about $22,000 per year for a family of four.

And YOU hear this?

"the middle class will see a tremendous increase in those premiums because of all of the new requirements that will be added to it and there are only four plans to pick from with the cheapest rate being $22,000 per year".

OR will/can you provide a link to the QUOTED statement YOU made?

I realize your have the tv playing in the background and you catch a few words of a story then fill in the rest of the story with what you think you heard or what you want to hear..

Collapse -
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Tonispeak?

As an example, a family of four with an income between about $22,000 and $35,000 buying a silver-rated plan will pay between $39 and $118 per month.

For middle-income families with earnings up to about $59,000, their share of the premiums for a silver plan would be capped at $395 per month, but they would still face a $1,500 deductible that would be their responsibility before insurance kicked in to cover its 70 percent share. The maximum out of pocket cost for such a family would be $10,400 per year.

Collapse -
You might look here and you'll see where it says
by Steven Haninger / March 14, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Tonispeak?
"No one truly knows what ObamaCare will cost." It does appear that over 20K could be reasonable considering what the piece says it's costing now which is 20% of income.

"Currently the average American family pays 20% of their income for health insurance. ObamaCare deems insurance that costs 8% of a families income as "affordable"."

I personally dispute that number as we get to deduct anything over 7 1/2% of taxable income if we itemize. That 7 1/2% include both actual out of pocket and insurance premiums paid and I seriously doubt that most people are already deducting for medical expenses.
Collapse -
How come you didn't tell Toni where to look
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 7:40 AM PDT

Do you think she should be making a claim that Cheapest is $22,000...

Toni claims someone does...Cheapest is $22,000...

Do you agree that $22,000 for one year for a family of 4 is the cheapest?

Collapse -
I gave you the link
by TONI H / March 14, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

but all YOU had to do was google Obamacare plans to choose from to find what I have reported here a number of times already. I didn't think I needed to post the same links over and over again to you........but you must be getting old enough that your memory isn't as sharp as yesterday.

Collapse -
RE:I gave you the link
by JP Bill / March 14, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I gave you the link

I'm sorry, I can't find it ...PLEASE give me the link...

I asked for a link in this post

Tonispeak? - New!

by JP Bill - 3/14/13 2:25 PM

Then you respond further down the thread no where near where I've asked for the link

Screw you and your sarcasm, JP - New!

by TONI H - 3/14/13 3:55 PM

THEN you respond to the post that I was asking for the link Claiming I GAVE YOU THE LINK.

I gave you the link - New!

by TONI H - 3/14/13 3:57 PM

OH wait, here it is, you give (not gave) it to me 1 hour and 30 minutes AFTER I asked for it....asked for at 2:25 given at 3:55 Do the math.

Of Course you haven't learned to tell time yet...you're on Cali time...Even If you do live in VA. Remember THAT thread...You thought I was getting up at 3:30 AM to make posts to you...boy Did you look foolish, you didn't respond anymore in that thread.

I'll be making another post about your figures on the cost of insurance

Remember when David Letterman used to say

Screw you Duck Face?

Collapse -
JP, your post is rude and
by Roger NC / March 14, 2013 1:16 PM PDT

Not that you're the only one that ever does, but just feeding the spiral of irritation and uncivilithy shouldn't be so much fun as it seems to be.

Collapse -
by TONI H / March 14, 2013 9:12 PM PDT

I gave you the link to the Obamacare plans WEEKS if not months ago. I repeated one of those links now that there are many when I replied to you. I was actually gone from the computer for that hour and a half before I provided a link AGAIN. Get your act together....just because YOU demand, doesn't mean that I have to comply immediately or get insulted by you. Are you turning into BO with that attitude?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.