Download.com Site Feedback

Rant

This is pitiful... there's no way to search these forums?

by Cowicide / March 5, 2012 1:58 PM PST

I've looked all over this page and there's no search forums option. WTF, cnet?

Sigh...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is pitiful... there's no way to search these forums?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is pitiful... there's no way to search these forums?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no?
by Cowicide / March 7, 2012 6:09 AM PST

I'll take that as a "no"...

Collapse -
Top right hand side
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: no?

of the page. "Search CNET".

Mark

Collapse -
hmmm
by Cowicide / March 8, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Top right hand side
Collapse -
I understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

but have a look at http://forums.cnet.com/1770-5_102-0.html?query=This+is+pitiful&searchtype=forums&rpp=10&forumName=&prodrange=This%20Week&beginStartDate=20120302&endStartDate=20120309240000&tag=pe-searchFacetsTile;navForm

I found your top post with just two clicks. I typed in, this is pitiful clicked Search, (or press Enter), and got this first of all;
http://forums.cnet.com/1770-5_102-0.html?query=This+is+pitiful&tag=srch&searchtype=forums

I then filtered the results using the options in the left hand column, in this case, "Narrow your results - Past 30 days (2)", and found your post.

It works, and now I know how to use it and what terms to use, I can find most anything I am looking for.

Mark

Collapse -
ok
by Cowicide / March 9, 2012 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: I understand

I see your point, but you missed mine. The link I displayed is showing how many others have been also frustrated by a lack of an industry standard forum search. I still don't see why cnet can't muster a clearly marked forum-specific search like literally almost every other website on the Internet (with a forum) does.

If you go back and look at my search link, you'll see that I'm very far from being the only one who has wasted time looking for an industry standard search for these cnet forums. That was the point of my link.

Hey, cnet can suck at usability all it wants and point the finger at the users. Just not a great business model, IMO.

Cnet needs to add a "search forums" spot on the page and then cnet will catch up with the rest of the Internet who already does this. Otherwise, continue to confound and frustrate users.

Once again, go look through my link and observe the ongoing frustration from many users. This is poor usability, clear and simple. Make excuses, blame the user, etc. - but it doesn't change that fact.

I'll stop here, any more basic consulting and I'm going to need to charge $250 per hour. Happy

Collapse -
How about this one?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 7:33 PM PST
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
Once again...
by Cowicide / March 10, 2012 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: How about this one?

>Notice the difference in search term?

Once again, you keep missing my point. I will not make it again after this, so here goes one last time:

This should be a clear option like nearly every other website with a forum does. Once again, look at my link. It shows that I am by far not the only person who has wasted time trying to find a forum specific search.

Simply put a field in the header area somewhere with text that says "Forum Search" or continue to have a poor UI that frustrates (and loses) users who don't have time to waste figuring out something that is an industry standard everywhere else.

Collapse -
But there is google.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 9:03 PM PST

Use the feature of google to search on a site.

For example:
hhtp://www.google.com/search?q="search+these+forums"+"pitiful"+site:forums.cnet.com

Just add site:forums.cnet.com to year search terms in the google search box in the top left corner of Firefox. It even works in IE.

Kees

Collapse -
Poor user interface requires subject title...
by Cowicide / March 9, 2012 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: But there is google.

Thanks, Kees_B. Maybe cnet could at least do that with a wildcard and put a link on here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.