Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This guy might be in trouble for shooting robber

by Steven Haninger / January 9, 2013 5:26 AM PST
Robber shot by victim while leaving the scene

The incident is being investigated. The report says the robber turned and pointed his gun while making his getaway and was shot by the victim. The victim carries a gun legally. There is talk that, once he handed over his money and the robber headed away, he was no longer threatened. The robber turned up at a hospital but it will take ballistics tests to show if his wounds were inflicted by the victim. What hasn't been reported is where the bullet entered. If it was in the guy's back, the robbery victim is likely to be in deep trouble. A tough call here.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This guy might be in trouble for shooting robber
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This guy might be in trouble for shooting robber
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From your link
by JP Bill / January 9, 2013 5:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Not to worry about it
by Steven Haninger / January 9, 2013 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: From your link

You're name isn't on the list.

Collapse -
had a case in Raleigh NC
by Roger NC / January 9, 2013 6:27 AM PST

over 15 years now.

Guy came home, two guys walking out of his house carrying either the tv or stereo, I don't remember what just that it was home electronics. Homeowner grabbed a gun from his vehicle, yelled at them to stop, they supposely took off running and he shot them.

I don't even remember how it turned out now. The shooting made the news, the trial didn't. That in itself makes me think it was probably dropped or reduced.

The general "expert" opinion was the homeowner was guilty of second degree murder. If the threat isn't to you, you're denied any defense. Well, to your or another person well being. Meaning if were in the yard, a couple of thugs walked up and started to set your house on fire you can't try to stop them yourself if there is no one in the house.

I understand the view that property thief or damage isn't worth a human life. I don't know how threatened I would have to be to intentional kill someone. However, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that a citizen can't use force to stop thieves from stealing. Under that doctrine taken to extreme if you tried to physically restrain someone from burning your house you're the one committing assault and they can use self defense to kill you.

That would be obviously idoitic

Collapse -
He was said to have been shielding his 2 month old
by Steven Haninger / January 9, 2013 6:54 AM PST

Today's report said the gun was in the car seat so easily available once the robber took off. I'd not store a gun in a car seat while driving, however. When he retrieved it, we don't know. I'd imagine that, if he claimed the robber turned and pointed the gun while leaving, the detectives will have to accept his account of the story.

Collapse -
repeated advice, tho very cynical
by Roger NC / January 9, 2013 7:34 AM PST

if you shoot someone, even in your house, make sure they're dead, then there's only one story.

Collapse -
Well, yes and no
by Josh K / January 9, 2013 10:54 PM PST

If the robber was shot seven or eight times, a prosecutor could try to argue that you did more than you needed to do to protect yourself and your home.

Hard call on shooting a thief in the back as he's running away. My inclination is to side with "the danger was over" argument. Shooting him while the robbery was in progress would have been another story.

Collapse -
shoot for the legs?
by James Denison / January 10, 2013 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Well, yes and no

At least then you can claim you wanted to keep your property, stop him for police, and avoid killing him. Of course he could sue you, but...

Collapse -
Sadly today even if he was robbing you
by Roger NC / January 10, 2013 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: shoot for the legs?

handicapping him in todays society and legal system would probably put you in jail and all your property in his name.

Collapse -
by James Denison / January 10, 2013 8:30 AM PST

but I've never given up my right to protect not only my life, but also my property.

Collapse -
that can be like pedestrain has the right of way
by Roger NC / January 11, 2013 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Probably

you may have the right of way, but it doesn't help if refuse to yield to a truck.

Collapse -
Well...one gets to make a decision as to
by Steven Haninger / January 10, 2013 3:04 AM PST

what is justifiable and what is smart. I've never been robbed but know people who have been and this includes a bank employee who has had a gun in her face several times. I understand that there isn't much time to think and that one is overwhelmed with fear which can quickly turn to anger. When that happens, the smart side of a person might disappear. One who has just been robbed might be justifiably angry. It's just a human emotion. The judges and courts get to decide if human emotion is allowed to prevail over smart thinking.

Collapse -
I've been robbed at gunpoint twice
by Josh K / January 10, 2013 3:16 AM PST

In the first case, had I been armed and trained in such situations, I might have been able to stop it. I knew they were coming up behind me and there was nothing I could do but brace myself. If I'd been armed but not trained, I probably would have been too frightened to take action.

The second time I was taken completely by surprise, and if I'd had a gun I probably would not have been able to use it to protect myself. He didn't frisk me so it wouldn't have been stolen from me if he hadn't noticed it.

Collapse -
If I actually pulled a gun on someone who had a gun
by Roger NC / January 10, 2013 8:26 AM PST

and I felt threatened, I'm not sure I'd stop firing until the gun was empty. I wouldn't fire unless I though he was going to shoot me, and in that case, you don't stop until he quits moving.

That said, I don't even own a gun right now.

Collapse -
It's hard to guess.....
by Josh K / January 10, 2013 9:47 PM PST

.....if you've never been in that situation. It's possible that it would go just as you said, and also possible that you might shoot once and react to that so strongly that you can't do it again. I've never been there so I have no idea how I'd be.

The idea of shooting in the legs is just silly. That only happens in the movies. Any cop will tell you that you don't point a gun at someone unless you're prepared to use it, and you don't "shoot to wound." Maybe a top marksman could do it but most people should just aim for the biggest target, which is the torso.

Collapse -
Did the robber still have his property?
by James Denison / January 9, 2013 1:06 PM PST

tough luck, he loses.

Collapse -
I believe it was either cash or his wallet
by Steven Haninger / January 9, 2013 5:52 PM PST

Wallets get discarded except for credit cards. I'd think even a dumb crook would know not to take identifiable stolen property into the ER knowing a gunshot wound would mean talking to police.

Collapse -
Criminals are rarely clever.I attended at a traffic accident
by Ziks511 / January 11, 2013 9:01 AM PST

in Michigan as an EMT where the guy who caused the accident was fleeing the scene of a robbery (not with a firearm) as we discovered later. He had the wallets (2 victims) on him. Because it was a traffic accident, the police attended and questioned the man, then arrested him on a traffic charge. They didn't find the extra wallets until they got him to the station.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.