Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

this file does not have a program associated with it

by mayhart / November 3, 2008 6:36 AM PST

hi guys.
so yeah i know there are some threads that deal with this issue, but none have helped me because I get this error message when i try to access my harddrives through explorer (by double clicking). always have to open the folder side bar thing.

Can anyone help??

thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: this file does not have a program associated with it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: this file does not have a program associated with it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Note the file extension
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 6:54 AM PST

Go to Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types. You can create the association there. Press the "New" button, enter the file extension and navigate to the program executable that you want to open that file. It should stick.

Collapse -
If It's An XP Computer, Please Try This 'Drive Fix'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 7:40 AM PST

Click on the link below, then see the "Drive Association Fix" about 7 links down:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Download the .zip file to you desktop, unzip the .reg file, then run it.

After doing so, if you haven't already, please make sure you don't have any malware on the machine by following the instructions below:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
This file does not have a program associated with it for....
by aminasd / December 8, 2008 10:28 PM PST

hello.
I have a problem.when I want to open my drives(C,D,E,...)an error appear:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

please help me.

Collapse -
Re: This file does not have a program associated with it fo
by Tufenuf / December 8, 2008 10:39 PM PST

aminasd, Grif posted a possible solution. Go to the link below and click on "Drive Association Fix" to download a zipped reg file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
This file does not have a program associated with it for...
by aminasd / December 9, 2008 4:57 AM PST

thank you.but I still have that problem.
In fact that error create after I scanned my computer with Kapersky 2009 Anti virus.even,after I uninstalled kaspersky that problem appear.What's the solution for this problem?

Collapse -
Got a solution?
by Muzir / January 23, 2009 10:19 AM PST

I too have the same problem - after a Kasperesky scan. Did you find a solution?

Collapse -
(NT) Did You Try The Solutions Posted?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2009 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Got a solution?
Collapse -
I tried the reg files but....
by aminasd / January 25, 2009 3:26 PM PST

Hello.Yes I tried the reg files,But they didn't solve the problem.
But after some days the problem solved suddenly and I still don't how that happen.

Collapse -
very easy to fix
by dooron11 / February 28, 2009 7:52 AM PST

right click on drive that doesnt open,
click properties,
next to the picture of the drive type any letter,
press apply,
press ok..

drive should now open...?

now right click on drive,
press rename,
then rename it back to "Local Drive",
click apply,
click ok,
all should look and work normal now, ?

did for me anhow after getting this error message.....

hope this helps,

reply to confirm either way

Collapse -
"this file does not have a program associated with it...."
by anatinus / January 14, 2011 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: very easy to fix

Dooron11's easy fix did not work for me. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and the error message applies to my Local Disc or C:/ and any other drive or file in that pane. I have no trouble opening the drives/files when I right click but left clicking produces the error message. With regard to the solution proposed by Dooron11 I don't get to first base System detais: Microsoft Security essentials Ad-Aware Total Security and Malwarebytes. Office 2010 Home and Business is also installed.

I believe the problem started after I installed Nero 10 Platinum HD about 2 days ago.

Hoping for your assistance

Collapse -
Try this possible fix
by Tufenuf / January 14, 2011 9:54 PM PST
Collapse -
easy fix to this file does not have a program associated
by brenhuron / January 22, 2011 6:27 AM PST

I have Xp and have been doing this for quite some time, works well for me.....
Go to the attachment clip
cl on the "save attachments"
go to desktop cl on my documents and received files
and there it is......you can open it and then delete
it if you wish

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.