Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

This File came from another computer and might be blocked

by compact2001 / April 14, 2011 7:21 AM PDT

XP SP2
When I download a file in the properties they are "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"

I have searched and found details of how to unblock, how to make reg changes, but still new files are like this.

Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This File came from another computer and might be blocked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This File came from another computer and might be blocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
More details please
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2011 6:55 PM PDT

Tell us about your computer and anything else that is relevant;

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your
system info, including operating system, model number, and any other
specifics related to the problem

What file are you downloading and from where?

What is the exact wording that you see?

What anti-virus and anti-malware scanners do you use, and have you scanned this file with them?

Such a message, if that is what it says, seems to be suggesting this file may be harmful to the computer. If that is the case, why would you want to use this file?

Mark

Collapse -
BLOCKED FILE
by Tonettie / October 2, 2013 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: More details please

HELLO

I received a PDF file on my desktop that I have no knowledge of. Who sent it How it accessed my computer, Why and When. I proceeded to open the file. The file was a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy with names dates .creditors, attorney name addresses etc. amounts etc. The names associated with this file/Bankruptcy I have NO idea who these people are and why and who sent it to me. I have no knowledge of any Bankruptcy,including this one When proceeding to open properties it shows "File came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"..So if I clicked on this it would damage my computer? Or if I clicked on this it would show me who sent this Bankruptcy to me? How is this possible that someone send me their B.K? If I have Norton wouldn't I receive an Alert someone is accessing my computer? Did someone file a B.K. using A.K,A names. meaning me? Or giving me a fitctious name.. This is beyond my realm of understanding and unacceptable. Is there a solution to this. WINDOWS XP -SP-3 IE-8-GOOGLE CHROME. ACER NOTEBOOK WITH NORTON 360

Collapse -
Not Enough Information To Make A Determination
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: BLOCKED FILE

You've not told us enough about your computer habits to make any guesses. If the file is actually on your "desktop", then it wasn't "sent" there, it was surely "placed" there.. RIGHT clicking on the file, choose "Properties" will tell you a number of things such as it's creation date, modified date, etc.. You might learn something that way, but since notebooks are mobile, access to them by others is not unusual. Depending on your password security, etc., almost anyone could have placed a file there, manually, through a network, or possibly you did it through email..

At this point, I'd simply delete the file, scan the computer for malware using programs such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware, then lock down the machine so users are unable to gain access to it without a complex password.

Hope this helps.

Grif

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
his File came from another computer and might be blocked
by iGennie / April 14, 2011 6:48 PM PDT

Can you explain your problem a bit?? I am not able to get you..

Collapse -
Answer
Re: unblocking
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 14, 2011 6:57 PM PDT

Probably you already found out how to unblock those files, by pressing the unblock button in their properties.

More helpful tips in http://superuser.com/questions/38476/this-file-came-from-another-computer-how-can-i-unblock-all-the-files-in-a
That contains a registry fix to disable the feature. If that doesn't work, the easiest way is to copy those files to a FAT32-formatted USB-stick first, or - even easier - to download directly to it. Just put a permanent USB-stick of a few GB in back of your PC and make that the default download folder.

Kees

Collapse -
Regedit
by compact2001 / April 16, 2011 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: unblocking

Kees_B

I came across that before, but I looked at the registry fix, but don't actually have that entry in there. Should I create it?

i.e.
"to disable blocking when files are downloaded:
[c/p from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t209230-how-do-i-get-rid-of-this.html -- credit to mhicaoidh]

Registry Option

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments\SaveZoneInformation
Change SaveZoneInformation to 1.
NOTE:
0 = Not Configured
1 = Enabled
2 = Disabled"

Collapse -
I'd create it and give it value 2.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: unblocking

That's disabled.

If you don't like it, set it to 1 or 0, or delete it again. No harm done.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.