Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

third party firewall

by LaVerne / June 2, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

I am not networked to any other computers.
I use my computer primarily for email...occasionally surf the web.
I have DSL and my computer stays on 24/7.
My server has a firewall.
My router has a firewall.
Windows XP firewall is turned on.
Do I really need a third party firewall?
I've used several in the past (Zone Alarm, McAfee, AVG) and none of them have ever "caught" anything. All they seem to do is take up a lot of resources, especially McAfee.
Shields Up says my computer is secure.
I don't quite understand. If my incoming is completely secure, why should I be concerned with outgoing?
Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: third party firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: third party firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should You Use Windows Firewall In Conjunction With a 3rd-Pa
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 2, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: third party firewall

Should You Use Windows Firewall In Conjunction With a 3rd-Party Firewall?

Again, I would say the answer to this is "no". Personal firewalls sometimes require a significant amount of tweaking and configuration to make them as secure as possible without impacting your ability to communicate on the network or use the programs you wish to use the way you need to use them. Adding a second firewall on the same system can greatly confuse things and make it exceptionally difficult to determine where any connection problems might lie or what you need to change to make it work.

More: http://netsecurity.about.com/od/firewalls/a/aa081804b.htm

Collapse -
In Your Situation, I'll Say No..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: third party firewall

The Windows Firewall is sufficient.. For you, the only advantage to a third party firewall would be to notify you of outgoing "phone home" attempts that might be made by spyware/adware. If you have a good antispyware program which blocks such things and you run frequent scans with your antivirus and antispyware tools, then you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you Grif
by LaVerne / June 2, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. And yes, I do run an updated virus scanner on a regular basis.

Collapse -
Windows Firewall leaves much to be desired.
by SultanEmerr / June 2, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Grif

FREE Comodo Firewall PRO = http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com = "Comodo Firewall, rated by PC Magazine Online as an Editor's Choice, constantly monitors and defends your PC from internet attacks. It's easy to install and use and passes the industry's most stringent firewall "leak" tests. Unlike some other 'free' firewalls, this is not a stripped down version but is the full, completely functional product. This free solution comes complete with continual updates that are free forever." Note - Not compatible with Windows 98 systems. For = "Windows XP ? 32 and 64 bit versions. Windows Vista ? 32 and 64 bit versions". Note ? Windows 2000 users should download Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4. NEVER HAVE 2 OR MORE SOFTWARE FIREWALLS RUNNING ON THE SAME COMPUTER, as they will conflict with each other. So if you get a third party alternative be sure to disable the Windows firewall, and it is suggested that you do get a third party alternative, an the Windows Firewall leaves much to be desired.

Collapse -
Commodo Has It's Issues Also...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 3:20 PM PDT

For those customers of which I've installed Commodo, about half have configuration issues for which there is a fairly long learning curve, even for fairly intermediate users.. And even then, because of the glitches and resources it uses, about half of those choose to uninstall it. And I'm not just referring to Commodo, other third party firewalls can have problems as well and they ALL use resources that may or may not be necessary, depending on the circumstances.

The important issue here is whether such a firewall is necessary in THE CIRCUMSTANCES being discussed.(A standalone computer with firewalls on the router, etc...) For home users, almost all will see little or NO blocked traffic entering the computer's software firewall from the outside simply because the router has a firewall, and that includes those that have a basic NAT router as well. The Windows firewall will do what's needed in this case. And besides, the Windows Firewall can be manually configured to do just about anything a users wants.. Granted, it's not that way by default, but it's still a good deal because it uses few resources and will block what's needed in THIS SITUATION. And it appears as though in this case, the system already tests as a "stealthed" system.. In my opinion, that's EXACTLY what's "desired" here..

As mentioned before, the only real concern would be for any outgoing attempts that might be made from trojans, spyware, etc.. As long as the user can guarantee the computer is clean, then the Windows Firewall should be fine.. That's EXACTLY how we run "most" of our agency's thousands of computers.. Windows Firewall only and we keep them clean..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.