TVs & Home Theaters

Resolved Question

thinking about buying an indoor tv antenna

by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 4:04 AM PDT
itsdigger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thinking about buying an indoor tv antenna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thinking about buying an indoor tv antenna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by itsdigger

Collapse -
Ha!I didn't finish my question
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

is it a good antenna for the Chicago area , and has anyone have a better indoor antenna they prefer ?Thanks ...Digger

Collapse -
Here's my indoor antenna.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Ha ! She's a Beaut !
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 4:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's on the wall indoors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Ha ! She's a Beaut !

I guess I could put a picture frame around it or even some picture but I had the usual indoor antenna and it was not that good. This really helped and yes, it's orientation is incorrect but it's hard to argue with success.

Indoors it also avoids having to deal with lightning protection. Unless you have a Van de Graaf indoors as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem is...
by Pepe7 / April 22, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

...your question is subjective. As you know, Chicagoland is huge (living there myself), so in that sense what works for one person might not work for another, even neighborhood to neighborhood, spare someone in Fox Lake vs Joliet ;). Solid objects/distance/topography/building structure/materials can affect reception. Bob's outdoor antenna is a better idea if you truly would like the best opportunity to maximize the amount/quality of ATSC signal to your TVs. Indoor antennas have a lot more issues IME.

Collapse -
far south sider here
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem is...

I don't want to get too carried away with this, I do have cable tv in other rooms but don't want to rent another cable box but just want to do something simple . I can watch most stuff over the net, but I can't get stuff like CLTV or the Sox game on the net. Hmm... do I need a converter box with this new Toshiba HDTV for OTH channels?

Collapse -
(NT) I meant OTA channels
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: far south sider here
Collapse -
If the Toshiba has a built in ATSC tuner...
by Pepe7 / April 22, 2013 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I meant OTA channels

...you are good to go for OTA Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Pepe
by itsdigger / April 22, 2013 5:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
General caution
by compist / May 1, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

If you live within 20 miles or so of Canada, the device will be inundated with hockey updates and back bacon futures.

Collapse -
I purshased the
by itsdigger / May 1, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: General caution

antenna in the OP. It works great and get all of the local and some not so local digital channels. I am surprised that here in Chicago , CBS is still analog so I don't receive it with the digital antenna. ,,,Digger

Collapse -
CBS is no longer analog (NTSC) in Chi-town
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I purshased the
Collapse -
More good reading/other links here
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I purshased the
Collapse -
South Siders Always Get Robbed Pepe !
by itsdigger / May 1, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

I've rescanned 4 times just now and still don't get CBS ( channel 2 ) . Maybe this antenna just won't pick it up. I get everything but that and of course CLTV because it is analog.

Collapse -
AFAIK CLTV went digital too
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

I think it's a function of your location Sad

Try asking in the forums @ dslreports.com, and also satelliteguys.us. Both can be quite helpful for such 'boots on the ground' info. I think dslreports.com still has a Chicago-focused subforum too.

-P

Collapse -
Maybe so
by itsdigger / May 1, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

I do live in the Twilight Zone (Pullman) . I have a different antenna I'm gonna try on a different tv for dad , I'll let ya know if there's any difference. Might try Bob Proffitt's art work upstairs . Cool it's been a slice and thanks...Digger

Collapse -
Nope. Now Comcast only
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 6:46 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.