Computer Newbies forum

Think I killed my HDD ... Can anything be done?

by AJD77 / February 12, 2013 9:55 AM PST

First post, total newbie.

Made a forehead-slapping rookie mistake: I plugged in the Molex power connector upside down to the HDD in my old HP desktop.

Yes I had to force it a bit, and even that didn't tip me off that something might not be right! So, anyway I go to power on & boot up, and I get error messages telling me it can't read/detect/whatever the HDD. It was working just fine before. (Long story why I was messing with it to begin with.)

HERE'S MY QUESTION: does the logic board (?) for the drive have a fuse or some kind of protection for this kind of thing, so that when some dummy plugs it in wrong it won't totally fry the whole thing? I'm wondering if buying an external enclosure would allow me to still access the disk contents (yes, there is stuff I want to get off it).

Well, thanks for any help you can offer. Hope there might be some good news for me!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Think I killed my HDD ... Can anything be done?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Think I killed my HDD ... Can anything be done?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Most will just fry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 10:00 AM PST

No protection is needed because it does not plug in the other way without force.

To recover from this you have to find an exact duplicate of the main board. Such is on the internet and sorry to hear about the loss.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Manufacturers & HD Repair Facilities
by Tractor-RV / February 22, 2013 9:47 AM PST

Seagate has a 5 year warranty of their best drives; and 2 years on many others.
1) They now have a service where you can send in any Seagate drive; and they will recover all the data they can find on it. Essentially they will rebuild it, or take the platters out of your drive to read them in their lab.

2) Other HD vendors have similar services.
3) Many other choices by googling: "Hard Drive Data Recovery Services"

Collapse -
Have you tried it again right way up?
by Gerdd / March 2, 2013 7:09 PM PST

Well, okay, if you got all four pins to connect you applied 5 volts to the 12 volt circuits, which shouldn't be too bad, but you also applied 12 volts to the 5 volt circuits, and that would probably fry them. But it may not, and you don't have anything to lose anymore at this point. So you could connect the drive correctly and see if it still works - it may only work for a short time, so be prepared to copy off quickly what you need most.

Under other circumstances I had the good luck to be able to scrape the most recent data from a dying drive before I had to bury it. As luch would have it I got everything off that wasn't covered by the most recent backup (Backup? - Yes, backup. Remember we talked about it here.)

Your problem description made me wonder - I don't actually know which parts of a drive's electrics and electronics are drven by which voltage. Anybody here that can contribute that? If I had to guess I would say the data controller logic would be 5 volts or possibly lower, stepped down via voltage regulators, and the spinning motor and arm actuator would be using 12 volts. If that were so, then by some incredible luck only the voltage regulators might have overheated and fried and it might be possible to get at the data again - how long did you run that drive with upside down voltages, by the way? Did smoke develop? Did it smell?

From what a data recovery lab guy told me most recovery attempts fail due to teh fact that there are so many different steppings of board revisions out there even for the same drive model number that it is almost impossible to find a matching one and without that you can't read the bits correctly.

In any event, if you need to involve a lab it won't be cheap ...

Good Luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.