TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Things on my tv are getting cut off on the sides

by slimwealthy1 / November 28, 2005 6:04 AM PST

Im playing my new xbox 360 in high-def on my 30 inch, black, philips widescreen tv. I was playing perfect dark and I noticed that the stuff on the right hand side isn't all showing up. Some of the stuff is getting cut off. Why is it doing that? I have my xbox 360 set to widescreen settings and it is cutting things off that are on the right. Usually there is a blue box where it shows the ammo but now all I can see is three sides of the blue box and the 4th side (right) is getting cut off. When i put it into normal tv mode nothing gets cut off, but it looks a lot worse. Is there anyway I can have it in widescreen mode and not have things getting cut off? THanks a lot. Jon

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Things on my tv are getting cut off on the sides
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Things on my tv are getting cut off on the sides
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is an unusual question
by mrobzo / November 28, 2005 6:58 AM PST

It could be malfunctioning software due to DRM gone awry. It could be a hardware problem. I don't think you will find the answer here though. Too many variables.

Collapse -
Screen cutoff
by master_wu / November 28, 2005 8:56 AM PST

Does your TV have picture modes? like full, stretch, zoom, ect... it may be in zoom or somthing thats probably the easyest solution.

Collapse -
Yes I have different modes
by slimwealthy1 / November 28, 2005 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Screen cutoff

It has 16:9, zoom, panorama, 4:3, 4:3 ZOOM. I have it on the default setting, 16:9, and it still does it. It did this as well on my first philips which was just a 27 inch flat screen. It's not affecting my play, i'm just a perfectionist and it's frustrating to look at.

Collapse -
Take that thing back
by master_wu / November 29, 2005 8:28 AM PST

If your display was messed up on 2 differnt TVs, take that 360 back man Silly

You know they arnt that cool anyway right? Happy at least not yet

Collapse -
I know of this problem
by juergemj / November 30, 2005 1:52 PM PST

I have learned that many Philips flat panel displays acutally have a horizontal adjustment. It sounds weird but I believe that if you use the left and right arrows on your remote it will actually align the screen. I don't think you have to go through the menu to do this either. I have heard of this from an installer who informed me of the feature. Maybe this will help.

Collapse -
fixed
by Terrae / May 4, 2008 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I know of this problem

Thanks for this post! While the game I was playing was great at first, it suddenly shifted dramatically to the left leaving a black gap on the right side and cutting off important elements on the left. It was driving me absolutely batty. The left/right buttons on my remote (Magnavox TV) resolved the issue. My son must have been toying with the remote and off centered things. Again, thanks for the tip!

Collapse -
Overscan?
by sMoRTy71 / November 30, 2005 9:42 PM PST

How much of the screen is cut off?

The reason I ask is that most TVs employ a small amount of overscan (displaying a little bit less of the picture so as not to display the picture edges). It could be that you need to adjust your TV's amount of overscan (which are usually located in the TV's service menu).

It also could be something screwy with the 360.

Do you have another game console (with a game that uses the edges of the screen) that you can hook up to the TV? This would allow you to determine if it is the XBOX 360 that is at fault or if it is the TV.

Collapse -
Response to questions.
by slimwealthy1 / December 1, 2005 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Overscan?

I know that it's not the 360 cuz my regular Xbox did the same thing. I tried to use the arrows but that didn't do anything. Also there is no overscan feature, or even a feature to move the screen to the left a little bit. About 1-1.5 cm is cut off of the screen. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
in more detail
by slimwealthy1 / December 1, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Response to questions.

I just played NFS most wanted on my 360 and it cuts off about 3/4 cm on each side. I think it might be this thing you call overscan. And the arrows aren't doing anything. I think it might just be the way the tv is in widescreen.

Collapse -
Try component cables
by ilikenascar / December 1, 2005 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: in more detail

I don't have the new xbox, nor have I played the old one, but I just hooked up my PS2 to my new Phillips 32" widescreen LCD and noticed the same thing happenening. It's almost as if the screen position is just shifted slightly to the left. Even changing the screen mode to 4:3, you can still see if shifted slightly. So now, I purchased some component cables because I was on the stock ones before, and the screen position is now centered (looks better too, go figure). Oddly enough, it doesn't fill up the whole screen, leaves just a little black on each side, but it's centered perfectly and the black space is equal on each side. Again, not much, but it's there. I know the xbox 360 has HD component cables (I think)....maybe you'll want to try those (circuit city for $40?) and see if that works.

Collapse -
I am using component
by slimwealthy1 / December 1, 2005 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: Try component cables

I am using component cables. I am playing in high-def. When i put the tv back into normal tv mode it is then fine. Something is up with the widescreen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.