Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Things I hate about Windows 7

by lucid oldie / June 12, 2010 11:19 PM PDT

1. I attempted to do a System Restore and it failed.
Only later did I find out that I had to completely uninstall my Security Suite. Oh goody!
So something that was simple to do with XP has become a chore.

2. I attempted to burn a 5.2 GB File to DVD using the W7 tool for backup purposes and it said I didn't have enough disk space. Haven't Microsoft heard of compression or spanning 2 disks???

Does anyone else find any other problem using W7?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Things I hate about Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Things I hate about Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About system restore and security suites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2010 11:24 PM PDT

My question is this. Should security suites be allowed to disable or break system restore?

So far, Symantec says yes.

As to Microsoft backup. While Windows 7 got better you know they are newbies compared to other company's backup software offerings. The question here is: "Should the OS provide more than an OS?"
Bob

Collapse -
It's not only Symantec!
by lucid oldie / June 13, 2010 2:11 AM PDT

It's also AVG and ZoneAlarm...and maybe others.

In my experience, System Restore worked flawlessly on XP regardless of the Security Suite.

And Microsoft should co-operate with these Companies to find a work around that doesn't prevent System Restore from working on Windows 7.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2010 2:20 AM PDT

But on XP, Symantec broke system restore time and time again.

And there are likely other titles.

My question is simple. Is it time that such behavior be disallowed? Shouldn't Microsoft be Draconian on such issues just like Apple is with Flash?
Bob

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmmmm,
by Dango517 / June 18, 2010 10:49 AM PDT

Lets see, if I buy a partnered PC OS combo and the hard drive fails just after the warranty expires should I have a recovery disk to load on to the new HD drive I must buy, despite any piracy rick to its creator? For most that answer is obvious. Home computers should last at least 5 years, for that time they need to support their OS and a recovery disk does that.

If you bought a TV and it lasted three years would you be a happy camper? If it didn't most would consider it unreliable. My expectation for any PCs/Laptops are the same including its OS.

I'm certain most consumers would agree.

Collapse -
But in exchange
by Jimmy Greystone / June 13, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

But in exchange you get a much improved process scheduler tuned for multi-core systems, better memory management, better security from a decade's worth of hard lessons learned, and a UI that is considerably more capable. You get some pretty impressive improvements over XP. Sure, they may be under the hood type improvements as opposed to in your face whiz-bang new features, but they will have a significant positive impact.

Even when XP was new, it was based on a platform that itself was about 10 years old and starting to show its age. When Microsoft made WindowsNT, which is the foundation for XP, Vista, and 7, there essentially was no Internet. At least it didn't even come close to resembling what we think of as the Internet. NT was designed for large companies who wanted to network their internal systems, so no one even bothered thinking about external threats. That didn't really come along until around the time XP came out, and the Internet as we know it was born (independently of XP).

There's a much larger picture to be looked at here, besides just your one specific system and two minor annoyances. Besides, if you find yourself regularly needing to use System Restore, then there is something wrong with your system or what you're doing with it. System Restore is designed as a sort of failsafe. A means of last resort, not first resort. And XP's backup program was only able to use tapes and floppies, so the fact that 7's can use DVDs is a big step forward. It still has a long ways to go, but what exactly do you want for bundled with the OS? If Microsoft did much more than that, they'd be sued every which way, and have another round of anti-trust battles to contend with.

Collapse -
Restore
by kedscnet / June 13, 2010 3:21 AM PDT

The problem isn't Microsoft's. The Security Suite people need to be more careful in writing their code. If you don't follow the rules, it's your fault. This same thing happened with Vista, and everyone blamed MS. Third party software companies had info ahead of time, but wrote poor code in order to have their products available fast.

Collapse -
System Restore.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / June 13, 2010 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore

All you have to do is, disconnect from the web and disable your security and restore. Simples.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Hates too strong a word but I dislike these about 7
by Dango517 / June 18, 2010 11:04 AM PDT

Like it's cousin Vista it is slow to start. I really thought they'd improve this in 7 but instead it seems to have been hidden.

Running background programs still effect my use more often then I like, slowing my PC considerably. The workaround for me has been to require software to notify me before they update. Unfortunately some software has this feature, some does not. My security software does not. Sad

On the positive side, I do like the new taskbar feature but I did loss Windows Mail and the movie editor when I move up to 7 from Vista. I'm not sure that was a win for me and the family.

I'm using Window 7 Home Premium.

Collapse -
Mail and Moviemaker
by lucid oldie / June 19, 2010 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7 does not support USB media streaming
by ajdauphin / June 18, 2010 11:18 AM PDT

I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. The laptop had 4 USB ports but no 1394 firewire port. I assumed that I would be OK with my Sony Handycam digital video cameras because they both used USB or firewire connections. However, I quickly found out that Windows 7 does not support USB 2.0 media streaming. The drivers for the cameras come with the operating system but they are useless without the firewire port. More and more laptops are doing away with the firewire ports because USB 2.0 is becoming more common and actually streams just as fast as firewire. Is Microsoft going to release a fixpack that enables video streaming on USB 2.0?

Collapse -
Sure sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / June 19, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

Sure sounds like a driver shortcoming as opposed to an OS shortcoming to me.

And USB will never stream "just as fast" as firewire. USB relies on the host CPU for most of the heavy lifting, and it's much advertised 480Mbps is a BURST speed. FireWire doesn't rely on the host CPU, and can sustain very high transfer rates.

Now, if we could just get people to stop blaming the operating system for driver issues, it might be that we could start actually making some headway on issues people have. It's annoying to have to spend 5 posts convincing someone that the issue they are so convinced is somehow this grand Microsoft conspiracy aimed specifically at them, is just their unreasonable expectations. Hurray for the ubiquitous narcissism brought about by the age of blogging and social networking.

Microsoft simply bundles the driver supplied by Sony, they didn't write it themselves. Go complain to Sony, or better yet, go out and by a PCI firewire card and put it in your system. And let this be a lesson for the future, about the importance of certain connection types for what you wish to do with the system.

Collapse -
Sony is blaming it on Windows 7, not me.
by ajdauphin / June 19, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure sounds like

I went to the Sony support site for the Handycam;

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=544&mdl=DCRHC52

# Not Supported:

* The USB streaming feature is not supported with the Windows 7 operating system.

It does not say that for XP because USB streaming was supported. My point is this.....why did MS discontinue support for USB media streaming?

Collapse -
Re: USB video streaming
by Kees Bakker / June 19, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
so...
by Harryspider / September 17, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

I've asked this question at various forums, and I can't get anyone to answer conclusively:

Can you stream video thru USB from ANY camcorder, using Windows 7? I mean, play an 8mm tape in a camcorder, and have that video captured onto the hard drive, using a USB cable?

My older Sony TRV-350 worked perfectly with XP. The camcorder isn't even recognized as a camcorder in Windows 7 (on a SONY Vaio, how ironic).

I've read that USB streaming was not supported in Vista and is not supported in Win 7, but some people here say it's Sony's fault for not developing a driver; how could Sony do that, if the OS is the problem? or is it? does anyone know FOR SURE? Can we ask MS, like actually hear from someone who actually knows because they work for MS? or do we always have to rely on FORUMS, where end-users endlessly speculate, and drop in little digs at those who aren't so enamored with the latest offerings...

Collapse -
I Hate W7
by Wildmcactus / June 22, 2010 6:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure sounds like

In my opinion much system conflict seems to occur re 'DRM' nowadays!!!

Collapse -
Back to Sony.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2010 12:46 AM PDT

If makers don't write drivers, then what to do? Expecting Microsoft to step in for a failure at each company is hoping for a miracle.
Bob

Collapse -
Win 7 problems
by rikhayes / June 18, 2010 4:10 PM PDT

The only thing Win 7 does is change things, how they look and how they work. There is certainly no improvement over Win XP Pro. Programmes which have always worked in all other versions of Windows no longer work in Win 7, it won't even allow Windows Mail to work unless one "Takes ownership" of it. Why should one have to 'take ownership' of anything on one's computer? And if you try to do that, well, it's like secret code. And which ****-head contrived that one?
It might be faster though I don't think so. My advice; if you don't want stress and headaches stay clear of Windows 7 and Vista.

Collapse -
Now another Window 7 issue...
by lucid oldie / June 18, 2010 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Win 7 problems

Besides the System Restore issue,all of a sudden, I had a problem that Windows Updates stopped working.

Every other program on my computer worked okay.

So I contacted MS Support and I followed their advise and did a Windows Upgrade.

That worked fine except now I have a message pasted on my desktop that tells me "This copy of Windows 7 is not genuine".

It was a "free upgrade" from Vista to Windows7 (Which actually cost me MORE than buying a copy of Windows 7 alone!)

So now I'm really "down in the dumps".

Collapse -
Thanks!
by lucid oldie / June 18, 2010 5:28 PM PDT

Thank you for that.

My copy of Windows is now activated! :-))

Regards
lucid oldie

Collapse -
Validated too?
by Dango517 / June 18, 2010 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Make sure you do that; if you don't the OS will stop working after a time. Then you'll have to call them and a bunch of stuff. LOL

Collapse -
Vista and 7 unreliability
by jefelex / June 18, 2010 5:22 PM PDT

I bought a brand new laptop last Christmas for my girlfriend - she is not computer savvy or anything like that. I tried to install the w7 included on the extra HD partition - crashed 3 times! I said ****** that and installed ubuntu 9.10, works perfectly, never crashes, and has all the applications you could want. Her desktop had Windows Vista, and was dinosaur slow, so I put Ubuntu 8.04 on that, also never crashes, is super fast and no Microsoft bloatware. Everything works together like it is supposed to!

John

Collapse -
And now a word from Ubuntu
by Dango517 / June 18, 2010 9:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ubuntu
by lucid oldie / June 19, 2010 12:54 AM PDT

Yeah well, Windows is the Main Game in town, at this time.

Especially as far as setting up a new Installation without any problems.

And for Games.

But that may change if Steam can make a Platform for Linux.

Collapse -
How exactly
by Jimmy Greystone / June 19, 2010 2:26 AM PDT

How exactly does that link in any way invalidate what was said?

The number of Toyota owners compared to Ferrari owners is pretty significant in favor of Toyota. According to your line of reasoning, this means that Toyota makes better cars. So who here will buy that argument?

Collapse -
So your saying .......................
by Dango517 / June 19, 2010 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: How exactly

Ubuntu is a Ferrari. Hmmm, Ferrari's you can't give away, follow the logic?

Collapse -
othe progs on wi 7
by barny12345 / June 18, 2010 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Win 7 problems

If you have Win 7 ultimate it includes XP mode that will run any program that runs on XP

Collapse -
other progs on wi 7
by russemartin / June 19, 2010 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: othe progs on wi 7

Win 7 home premium is also supposed to have that feature and I have problems with IE-8, Microsoft Word, as well as Incredimail. Those are the most used applications I use. I've tried to re-install those apps to clear up the problems and NO GO! I can't even upate win IE-8 in repair mode because when I try to download I get the message IE-8 already installed and won't download! If those aren't WIN 7 problems than I'd like to know WHO's they are?????

Collapse -
Re: Windows 7 problems
by Kees Bakker / June 19, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: other progs on wi 7

Most people running Windows 7 don't have issues with IE8 and Word (unless it's Word 95 or so, you didn't tell). So that must be some issue with your PC. That should be solved if there are no hardware issues and you do a clean (re)install of the OS.

Incredimail is one of the programs that tend to give troubles. But it could well be that it works flawlessly also on a nice clean OS. Worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
I've had problems with both of those
by Dango517 / June 19, 2010 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Windows 7 problems

on brand new machines running Vista and Windows 7

The solutions were FireFox and Open Office both run trouble free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.