Speakeasy

Rant

They're not NRA members, they're gun owners

by JP Bill / January 29, 2013 5:13 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: They're not NRA members, they're gun owners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: They're not NRA members, they're gun owners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Then there's the "responsible, law-abiding gun owner"......
by Josh K / January 29, 2013 5:29 AM PST

......in Charlottesville, VA who decided to walk into a grocery store carrying a loaded AR-15 "because he can" under Virginia law. He even had a note in his pocket explaining that he was exercising his 2nd Amendment rights just in case the police shot and killed him.

Man Goes Grocery Shopping With Loaded AR-15 Assault Rifle — Because He Can

A 22-year old Virginia man decided to express his Second Amendment rights by going grocery shopping with a loaded AR-15 assault rifle on his back. Police wrongly drew their weapons on the unidentified man after shoppers were frightened, but did not arrest the man (image, top) because in Virginia, carrying a loaded assault rifle is not illegal unless the owner is a felon, took possession of the weapon illegally, or if the weapon is concealed.

I wonder what would have happened if that grocery store had been filled with other "law-abiding gun owners." I also wonder whether Virginia will review that law now. Naaaaaa.........

Collapse -
I have a suggestion for a phrase on their car license plate
by JP Bill / January 29, 2013 5:38 AM PST

Virginia...the FLYOVER State.

Collapse -
I'm sure everyone was perfectly safe
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2013 6:02 AM PST

as long as the store hadn't run out of his favorite beer.

Collapse -
Why the quotes?
by MarkatNite / January 30, 2013 8:01 AM PST

He is, in fact, a "responsible, law-abiding gun owner". As was stated in the story, he "did nothing illegal." And since he wasn't arrested, it can be inferred that he is not a felon and was in possession of the rifle legally. So why the quotes?

As for:

>"I wonder what would have happened if that grocery store had been filled with other "law-abiding gun owners."

1) Yet again, source, please. i.e. how do you know there weren't other law-abiding gun owners there?

2) Probably nothing would've happened because gun owners know it's not a good idea to go off half-cocked. It's brainwashed liberals who think guns are evil and who call the police at the mere sight of one. (And a personal anecdote: I've actually been in similar situations (carrying concealed, coming across someone carrying openly), and in one case, I actually struck up a conversation with the other person.)

2a) (Ha! 2a, get it? Ok, nevermind.) This is also a perfect example of how the police cannot protect you. Had he actually perpetrated a mass shooting, and if there really were no other law-abiding gun owners present, the police would not have arrived in time to stop him. The only person resposible for your protection is you; that's why it's called self-defense. I don't have a problem with you not wanting to protect yourself, so why do you have a problem with me wanting to protect myself?

>"I also wonder whether Virginia will review that law now."

Why should they? They're right. If anything, other States should review their laws to make them more like Virginia.

Mark

P.S. So since you've posted again, but have not responded in our previous exchange:

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6130_102-5416059.html?tag=posts;msg5416059

is it safe to assume you have no factual rebuttal or sources to back up your opinions?

Collapse -
virginia should review the law
by george1992defo / January 30, 2013 8:12 PM PST

It shouldn't be like this, I saw this post on facebook and was shocked by it

Collapse -
Yes, it's shocking how bigoted some people are...
by MarkatNite / January 31, 2013 10:02 AM PST

...that they would call the police on someone for simply exercising a Constitutional Right. I hope no African Americans try to exercise their 1st Amendment Right to peaceably assemble around these poeple.

Even worse that the police "drew down" on this law-abiding citizen. Next thing you know, the cops (in Arizona) will be able to accost anyone who doesn't have immigration papers on them.

Mark

Collapse -
My question then
by givemeaname / February 7, 2013 3:35 AM PST

Is that this was private property, they could have a guns or weapons free zone policy.

Collapse -
No kidding. I like that idea.
by Steven Haninger / January 30, 2013 8:12 AM PST

All we seem to get when they're found out is an "Oops! Sorry 'bout that". The damage has been done and is irreversible.

Collapse -
You want irreversible damage, try a kid or an adult shot
by Ziks511 / February 7, 2013 7:47 PM PST

accidentally. Guns may be somewhat less lethal than automobiles, but that doesn't stop the State Governments from insisting that drivers be licensed, and that cars be licensed too. I've been away too long, but in many countries, proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car. I think there should be mandatory insurance for fire arms too. That way the insurance companies can cover the cost of the damage done by all those Licensed, and Responsible Gun Owners who kill themselves or others either intentionally (suicide or murder) or accidentally.

And every gun owner may be "Law Abiding" right up until something makes him snap and shoot a family member, or members or himself or someone else. Dangerous weapons should be treated as dangerous all the time (in other words, not taken for a trip to the local mall or supermarket), Whether loaded or not. That used to be part of the NRA's education package for young people. Always treat a gun as loaded until you've opened it and proved it's not, Don't carry a loaded gun across rough terrain, unload first and reload when you get to where you will be shooting or hunting. Did the United States get stupider since the 1950's?

If you fly model Airplanes you join the Academy of Model Aeronautics, the AMA, an umbrella group for people who fly model aircraft in the US. When you join you have to pony up for insurance, because of *all the lethal accidents caused by Model Airplanes!* (damned few per year). Why not guns, for Heaven's sake.

Rob

Collapse -
Huh!! Relevance to misleading reporting??
by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2013 8:43 PM PST

So if it doesn't cause death or permanent physical injury they can say whatever they wish?

Collapse -
You really HAVE been away 'too' long
by TONI H / February 8, 2013 5:01 AM PST

if you still that that in the USA, "proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car". I've been driving and renewing licenses and PURCHASING new titles for vehicles since 1964 and RARELY had to show proof of insurance. I'm ASKED........that's all. The ONLY time I've HAD to give proof was at a DEALERSHIP.......and that was really only giving them the phone number to my agent so they could give my agent the VIN numbers for coverage before it left the lot.....NOWHERE else, not even at the DMV.

And as a side note.......'too long' isn't long enough, in my opinion. Stay put.

Collapse -
RE:if you still that that in the USA,
by JP Bill / February 8, 2013 5:25 AM PST
if you still think that in the USA, "proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car".

I watch "Parking Wars" on the boob tube...If they tow your vehicle in Detroit and Philly...you need Proof Of Insurance or you can't get your car out of impound.....Of course the Show Producers could have edited the program to make America look less appealing to Canadians. Of course the compound operators aren't "Government" I can't for the life of me understand why THEY would give rats *** whether you have insurance...UNLESS some Gov agency told them to make sure.

You don't need it get it licensed...you only need it if it gets impounded?
Collapse -
Your insults are tiresome
by TONI H / February 9, 2013 5:02 AM PST

I'm telling you from my own experience that when I get my vehicles registered for new tags or plates, I am NEVER told to show PROOF of insurance such as my wallet card.....I am only ASKED if I have insurance. Nothing to stop me from lying. Even if stopped for a violation, I've never been asked to show my insurance card.....just my driver's license and registration. (BTW....I haven't had an actual ticket for anything since 1966 although I've been stopped for minor things like a taillight out over the years)

You think I'm just "flapping my gums", tuff. I personally have thought for years that the only reason you come in here is so YOU have a place to flap your gums and suspect it's because you have nobody else in your life who cares to talk to you.

Collapse -
RE: I am only ASKED if I have insurance.
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 11:54 AM PST

They are SO trusting.

Which state do you live in?

Collapse -
Let's review, without all the crap
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 12:36 PM PST
Rob says

but in many countries, proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car.

Toni hears

You really HAVE been away 'too' long if you still that that in the USA, "proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car".

THEN

I make some posts about states requiring proof of insurance before returning cars that have been towed.

Toni responds

I'm telling you from my own experience that when I get my vehicles registered for new tags or plates, I am NEVER told to show PROOF of insurance such as my wallet card.....I am only ASKED if I have insurance. The ONLY time I've HAD to give proof was at a DEALERSHIP.......and that was really only giving them the phone number to my agent so they could give my agent the VIN numbers for coverage before it left the lot.....NOWHERE else, not even at the DMV.

SO

Rob doesn't know that you don't have to prove you have insurance, Toni says they "take her word" that she has insurance, AND she doesn't have to prove she has insurance..In this case "proof" involves "showing a wallet card", Also there are some occasions that Toni has given the phone number of her insurance agent to a DEALERSHIP so THEY could confirm she had insurance...BUT TONI NEVER had to show a wallet card....Just give a phone # and have someone else confirm she had insurance...BUT SHE didn't do it.

Perhaps Toni doesn't realize that if she cancels her insurance or it expires, they phone the DMV and someone will be knocking on her door to take her plates off of her vehicle.

The saga will continue when we find out which state Toni lives in and I do some further investigation...on what the Commonwealth of Virginia refers to as Insurance Monitoring Methods
Collapse -
OK...let's review some more without
by TONI H / February 9, 2013 8:21 PM PST

all of YOUR crap.

Rob says it's MANDATORY.......I respond it isn't.......however, YOU claim I only HEAR something else.

YOU say "Rob doesn't know".....I informed him so now he DOES know.

YOU say "perhaps Toni doesn't realize".....without asking ME if I do know (which I do). But YOU don't realize that you can also own a vehicle without PROOF of insurance (there is a place on the registration that you can mark either "yes, I have insurance" and not show the proof, or you can mark "No", and the State will require, at that point that you purchase it directly from them instead, for much higher rates, and for limited coverage. (kinda like Obamacare will be now only you'll be tracked for that coverage via the IRS)

This entire conversation was about PROOF.......and I said you didn't have to SHOW that proof except at a dealership when you purchase from them. If I purchase from a private owner in cash, get the title, and go to the DMV, they ASK if I have insurance but I'm not required to SHOW the proof or even what company I have it with. The box gets checked off for 'yes' and I'm out of there with plates in hand. I never said it wasn't 'mandatory' to HAVE insurance.

As for the DMV retrieving your plates via the local LEO........yes, that can be done; however, since it is normally a three to six month time period between when your insurance company notifies (not by phone, but by computer records) the DMV, you are driving around without any or you may have sold the vehicle and it's now no longer in your possession that the insurance issue on it is somebody else's problem.

Collapse -
You still didn't tell me which state you reside in.
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 8:35 PM PST

Fess up which state are we talking about?

I said you didn't have to SHOW that proof except at a dealership

Are you from West Virginia? Fess up which state are we talking about?

Mandatory Insurance

IT'S THE LAW: West Virginia law requires all registered vehicles to be insured. The minimum amount of coverage required is $20,000 for one accident-one injury, $40,000 for one accident-two or more injuries, and $10,000 for property damage. All vehicle insurance policies must be issued by a company licensed to sell insurance in West Virginia. The Compulsory Insurance Law is designed to protect you and all motorists who operate a vehicle in the state of West Virginia.

KEEP IT IN THE GLOVEBOX OF YOUR VEHICLE: Motorists are required to carry proof of insurance in the form of a (WV-1) Certificate of Insurance in their vehicle at all times. Law enforcement officers will request this information during any traffic stop or accident.

ONLY at the DEALERSHIP, EH? Just when registering a vehicle, EH?

Rob said

but in many countries, proof of insurance is mandatory when getting a license for a car

NO mention of America...YOU jumped to the conclusion he was talking about America.

Tell me which state you reside in, I promise I won't come and visit you.

Collapse -
(NT) PSI live in New Brunswick, Canada..NB is east of Maine, USA
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 8:42 PM PST
Collapse -
I sent some snow your way
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 8:54 PM PST

Did you get it?

Collapse -
It got as far as Boston
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 8:56 PM PST

they thank you.

Collapse -
Boston, Brunswick
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 8:57 PM PST

It's so confusing. Hard to keep them straight.

Collapse -
RE: Boston, Brunswick
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 9:06 PM PST

Not to me...

Boston is in Mass
New Brunswick (city) is in NJ West of Maine

New Brunswick (province) East of Maine is in Canada

Collapse -
When and where I was schooled
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 9:10 PM PST

Anything north of Mason-Dixon line was just "up there". Wink

Collapse -
RE: "up there".
by JP Bill / February 9, 2013 9:19 PM PST

OR...

not here...so don't worry about them...they don't exist.

Collapse -
interesting differences, I guess every state is a
by Roger NC / February 9, 2013 10:59 PM PST

little different.

As far as I know, there is no check box in NC, you have to have insurance. I don't recall being required to show proof other than if you didn't have any before a new car. Our registration does require you fill in the insurance company and policy number on the registration application when before you can get tags.

There is no check box, and as far as I know there is no insurance from the state. The only insurance the state is involved with as far as I know is the assigned risk pool for people who have so many past violations that insurance companies don't want to cover. The rates are astronomical of course, but the insurance companies in NC are required to pool to cover the high rish drivers. At least it use to be that way, I haven't heard much about it for years, since as I age I don't hear people I work with talking about it. Most of them are old enough so they're not so reckless either I guess.

I wonder if the law in NC require proof of insurance in the car now, along with the registration card. My insurance carrier sends a new form each year for each car giving the information and is labelled at the top "proof of insurance".

Getting new tags, or rather new stickers for the tags, each year is done by a renewal card sent to the address on your registration. If your insurance is cancelled, they don't send it, and in the past sent someone out fairly quickly to collect your tags. If you didn't pay the property tax on the car last year, you don't get a renewal form.

Probably a lot of other differences from state to state. I think the minimum level of coverage varies from state to state now.

Collapse -
That's what it is when you live in a small town
by JP Bill / February 8, 2013 5:57 AM PST

You go to the bank...Lift the welcome mat....take the key ...go inside....make a withdrawal, or a deposit...lock the door on your way out...put the key back under the mat.

Collapse -
here if your insurance is cancelled or expires
by Roger NC / February 8, 2013 8:08 AM PST

they notify the DMV, and they'll send the local LEO to your house to collect your car license plates.

And then you don't get it back without proof of insurance. And there is a waiting peroid whether you get insurance the next day or not.

I think you have to have proof the first time you get a car license tag in your name. After that, the DMV is notified when you lose insurance and they come get it.

Or at least they use to do that.

You'll need proof of insurance for a purchase loan, although I think they well call you agent and verify it over the phone with your agent.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.