Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

The Wireless adapter needs repair after few minutes

by darkcd / November 6, 2008 1:14 AM PST

Hi Everyone,
I am using Windows XP with SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop that is 2 years old. I am experiencing problem with my Intel Proset wireless adapter. From last couple of days, I need to repair my wireless adapter after very 10 minutes. I get a cross on the wireless icon and could not connect to any wireless profile. I need to repair everytime to make it work.
Can anybody help me out with this problem?

Thanks in advance..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Wireless adapter needs repair after few minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Wireless adapter needs repair after few minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try setting the router up per our forum sticky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2008 1:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Did not solve the problem. The adapter still needs repair
by darkcd / November 6, 2008 2:44 AM PST

I had setup my Netgear router with the same settings as in the sticky, but followed the steps again as in the sticky. I had to upgrade my router firmware to new version, but other than that it did not solve my problem. I have to repair my Wireless adapter periodically (every few minutes). Is there anything going wrong on my laptop?

Collapse -
If you are using
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2008 2:51 AM PST

WPA, broadcasting SSID and not using any other feature I then do the following before I slip in a wifi card for the final test.

1. I use the canned air to blow the dust bunnies out. Read,239035649,339274654,00.htm

2. I retest and stop if that's it.

3. I scan with MBAM from ejecting all it finds.

4. I retest and stop if it works.

5. If I lose the internet from step 3 I perform this procedure from Microsoft ->

6. If it still fails I get a WPNT511 off the stock room shelf and retest. These are under 19 bucks and usual the final thing I have to do.

In closing you can try Dell's latest drivers first...

Collapse -
by skylined45 / January 24, 2013 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: If you are using
Collapse -
by 1stSheWiz / April 22, 2010 7:29 AM PDT

I've had my mini 10 since July, 09 and have been soooo upset by this problem. I am constantly having to repair the wireless connection. My teenage son calls the Mini 10 a piece of "cr*p". I've tried all the power management solutions, updating the adapter driver, and tinkered with this thing for a long time. I thought Dell sold me a piece of garbage. It turns out, because my mini 10 is so portable, I use it in the far corner of my house, far away from my router. In that place, the signal from my neighbor's router is stronger than mine! These routers both work on channel 6, and the neighbor's router is interfering with my signal in my own house! I read a suggestion today to change the channel on the router, and after logging into the router, I changed it to channel 3. None of my neighbors use channel 3! Now the Mini 10 is working like a charm!!!! It's like a miracle! I hope this helps you too.

- Cathy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.