iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

The two "slots" at the top of the white iPhone 4S

by Jane in KC / October 6, 2011 11:18 AM PDT

I have not seen these phones "in person," but pictures of the white one show two "slots" at the top, while the black one appears to have only one. Am I just not seeing the black one properly, or are they different? If they are different, why? Thanks.

Jane in KC has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The two "slots" at the top of the white iPhone 4S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The two "slots" at the top of the white iPhone 4S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jane in KC

Collapse -
Answer.
by LTSxBOOG1E / October 9, 2011 12:52 AM PDT

The "slots" you see on these phones are not actually slots actually. The bigger one, which can be seen on both phones is the actual speaker for calls and such.
The smaller, is the proximity sensor. You can't see it on the black because obviously it blends better. However, if you were to take a bright light and shine it on the top of a black iPhone 4, you'd be able to see it.

Collapse -
Answer
by Jane in KC / October 9, 2011 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer.

Thank you so much! (Have been trying to post this all afternoon, and got a CNet maintenance message each time.) Anyway, I will also go to the link posted earlier and read up on this. I do appreciate it.

Collapse -
slots on the top of black and white I Phones
by rjdesco / February 29, 2012 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Answer.

Wrong. I'm holding a new Black I Phone and there is no Proximity slot anywhere, just one speaker slot and a front facing camera.

Collapse -
Answer
You are quite right,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 10:50 PM PDT

watching the animation on the iPhone page at the Apple site, there is clearly a difference between the black iPhone and the white one.

Collapse -
I'm intrigued.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: You are quite right,

but that web site gives me an Apple page, "Not found".

I'm using Windows, does that make a difference. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Yes, it makes a great deal of difference,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2011 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm intrigued.

All windows users are sent to a special page.

Seriously though, it gave me a Page Not Found also.

This is a copy and paste of the link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Only difference is the P in iphone

Collapse -
Hmm strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 7, 2011 9:20 PM PDT

I wonder why one has, and the other doesn't.

I also wonder why iPhone fails, but iphone works? I just tried www.gOogLe.com and got www.google.com. Does capitalization make a difference? I've never noticed it before and if it does, there could be some very interesting redirect problems around. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
It all depends on the web master
by Diana Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm strange.

You have to set it up to ignore whether the information comes in in caps or not.

Diana

Collapse -
Yes that was my first thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 8:29 PM PDT

and that might be the case with domain names, eg if I have the domain mywebsite.com then I might also have to register the name MyWebSite.com, (and all the variants) and redirect to my correct site. I'm not altogether sure that is the case though.

But this is a sub-page and I know with my own web site that sub-pages will work whether capitals are used or not.

Example: On my own web site, (not a domain, just on my own computer), my Home Page has a link to a page that gives all my online shopping links. The shopping page is called Shopping.html but if the link from my home page is shopping.html the link still works and the correct page is opened.

I didn't do anything special to set that up when I created the web pages. All very strange.

Mark

Collapse -
Animation
by Jane in KC / October 7, 2011 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: You are quite right,

And that very clearly shows the difference - but again, no explanation (that I saw, anyway). Anyone?

Collapse -
Answer
The two slots..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 9:50 PM PDT

Jane..

You can either wade through the second paragraph under "iPhone 4S - Design" and get the long version.

OR.....

You can read this post and take for granted he know's what he's talking about when he says:

"It's part of the antenna system. One of those is Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS and the other is UMTS and GSM. And it's on both the white and black phone".

It's.... all Greek to me! Happy
Carol

Collapse -
I preferred the next reply down from that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: The two slots..

"Speed holes. They make the phone go faster". Grin

Mark

Collapse -
I hadn't seen the next reply
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 8, 2011 11:22 PM PDT

I hadn't seen any of the posts below it. I thought what I posted was the last post in the thread.

Having said that, I'm glad you pointed it out. It makes MUCH more sense to me. Grin

B_bi

Collapse -
Answer
The 2 Slots
by Kace06 / October 8, 2011 10:55 PM PDT

Jane,

The bottom slot is the earpiece speaker. The top slot is a sensor that tells your iPhone whether you are holding the phone up to your face and, if you are, to turn off the display. This helps preserve battery life by not wasting power on the display while you are on the phone.

The slot, which sits behind the glass front panel, is present on both phones, but only shows through the white glass.

Collapse -
Answer
Proximity sensor issues
by Snurplebeans / October 8, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

It is the proximity sensor. Apple has left the white iphone 4s with the extra 'line' because they had a great deal of difficulty making the proximity sensor work properly with the white material they use (not sure if it's purely 'white glass' or white something + glass).
On the iphone 4, at least some, they stuck with a bunch of tiny perforations/'dots' that let the proximity sensor work better, but now have changed it to the solid line. It works much better this way. I think it looks unfortunate but not sure if it will deter me from getting the phone....
Just look up white iphone proximity sensor issues, there are plenty of articles going over the history of the white iphone 4/4s and its sensor Happy

Collapse -
And
by Snurplebeans / October 8, 2011 11:11 PM PDT

I forgot to clarify, the version with the perforations over the proximity sensor made it much more difficult to see it. This time they have left out any way of concealing the censor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.