Windows Vista forum

General discussion

The Requested URL was Rejected. Please consult system admin

by rapunzzzl / October 8, 2010 10:14 PM PDT

I am puzzled as all of a sudden within the last month, I am unable to enter a website I am used to frequenting all the time. I get the following response:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator. Your support ID is: 16908051841966796817

Sometimes I do get the first page, sometimes I don?t. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on my HP laptop (1 ? years old) and have Norton 360. My husband has the exact same computer and system, and this website is fine on his computer. I am the system administrator and technologically savvy one in the house and take care of both computers. I have searched and searched online for a resolution to this problem, and the only answer that seems to be common is something to do with bad cookies. The first time I cleared all the cookies when this happened, I was able to enter 3 tiers of the website and then the dreaded response. Now when I clear my cookies before I enter, it doesn?t work, and I get the dreaded response right away. It could be any website, as I have read that people get this response with any number of common websites. My problem in particular is with the Michael Kors website and I have read about someone that has this same problem with the Naturalizer website, as 1 out of his 3 same computers gets this response. He has written that someone told him he had an undetected Trojan or Virus, but after all was said and done, this wasn?t the case and he was told to reformat, which he didn?t choose to do.
There isn?t a lot written about this error and so I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to correct this problem! PLEASE HELP!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Requested URL was Rejected. Please consult system admin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Requested URL was Rejected. Please consult system admin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nope, thats not it.
by rapunzzzl / October 9, 2010 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

No,its not a Trojan and its not a DNS changer. It just Totally BLOCKS ACCESS. Would like a reply from someone who has acutally dealt with this problem...not from people guessing. Thanks.

Collapse -
Actually dealt with it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope, thats not it.

My experience with this message has always found a trojan, dns changer and rootkits.

Of course there are other causes but having dealt with it, I feel I qualify.

But about norton. It's known to act oddly. Why not remove that?
Bob

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MDFlax / October 9, 2010 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope, thats not it.

In the link provided, did you see this response from the OP?

"I contacted Live OneCare tech support and they helped me dig out nine
trojans (on all three network machines) that OneCare let get through. Took
three hrs. The tech told me that it is hard to catch the new trogans. I had
already run Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) In
safe mode on one machine. That tool failed to find anything. The tech
advisors at Live OneCare make it worthwhile to subscribe
"

May be you should reconsider that, "No,its not a Trojan and its not a DNS changer".

Mark

Collapse -
Can a Trojan just block 1 Website?
by rapunzzzl / October 10, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Bob & Mark

I hear what you are both saying. What I don't understand is why it would just block that 1 website? I am online constantly and go to many of the same websites frequently. And why it doesnt block it on my hubby's computer ? We are on the same router, same system, Vista Home Prem 64bit, same computers. I have used Norton for 10 years and have never had a problem. It does its scans daily and so I am always up to date. I don't understand how I could have a Trojan for 1 website? Rather than spend a lot of time on it, I can just use my husbands computer for that 1 website.actually, we have had these Hp's for 2 years now. How time flys!
Sally

Collapse -
the OP?
by rapunzzzl / October 10, 2010 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Mark,

You ask :"Did you see this response from the OP? I assume you mean the operating system. I guess thats where the resonse come from...how would I know this? Where else would it oome from? I either google the website and pick a link to enter, or I type it in myself and each time its the same, except for the support Id nbr which changes each time I make the request. Thanks for your help.

Sally

Collapse -
Download and install ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 11, 2010 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
FULL ACCESS AT LAST, Problem Resolved!
by rapunzzzl / October 11, 2010 8:54 PM PDT

It was as if I had put a parental control Blocking access. So, I started thinking about what options on IE8 allow me to block websites, and then I figured it out! When I went into the Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Sites?of IE8, I had for some reason listed this website under ..the manage ALLOW category, which for some reason denied me access, when in fact I had it listed under MANAGED WEBSITES, thinking this would grant access always. Apparantly this was not the case, as I think it needed me to add some kind of parameters. I don't know why I had even done this except maybe I had prior problems that I can't recall at the moment. Anyway, ITS WORKING JUST FINE NOW, AS I HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE IN QUESTION!! YEAH!

Collapse -
Nice work
by MDFlax / October 11, 2010 8:56 PM PDT

Good find rapunzzi, and thanks for letting us know.

Mark

Collapse -
FULL ACCESS FOOTNOTE
by rapunzzzl / October 11, 2010 8:57 PM PDT

What I meant to say was that I REMOVED this website from the managed List, and it did the trick!

Collapse -
Michael Kors Website Problem For Me Too!
by Ashima55 / December 4, 2010 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: FULL ACCESS FOOTNOTE

I have been trying to get into the Michael Kors website and have been getting the same request rejected message, I was searching the net trying to find an answer to why and came across this forum! Crazy! Unfortunately the solution that worked for you doesn't work for me and I'm using a home computer so there's no blocked websites or anything. What is the problem here? It's so random that more than one person would have this problem with the Michael Kors site, could it be a problem with the site and not with us?? All I want is a pair of cute sandals, why does it have to be so complicated??

Collapse -
Home Computer
by rapunzzzl / December 4, 2010 6:34 PM PST

I was/am also am using a home computer also and didnt have any websites blocked. But we all have that capability .If you are using IE, and this is the only website you are being blocked from, then somehow, like me, maybe it was added in error to a managed list or administrator only list and you dont even remember doing it.

Collapse -
Another full access restored
by larryheine@email.com / October 11, 2012 10:29 PM PDT

Started receiving this message on Firefox (15.0) running under Windows XP Pro for one website I visit every day. Was able to access with another browser (Opera) with no problems. Turning off Norton didn't change anything, neither did clearing the browser history. The site wasn't in the list of blocked sites under Firefox's security settings. Finally removed the cookies for the site and Presto! full site access was restored.

Larry

Collapse -
i had this problem before about the url being rejected
by russ541 / October 1, 2012 2:46 AM PDT

i changed my browser and could then proceed to the site it is not a virus or trojan or any other thing i believe it is some inane incompatibility setting in the browser you are using that you may never find , anyway i went from ie9 to firefox and problem solved

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.